Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Putting strokes - Phil M's method

I've been struggling with my putting for a long time now, and previously when using a mallet style putter, it usually get me close in terms of distance control, but accuracy has always been an issue for me, specially with the 3-6 feet putts; my ball position tends to be slightly forward from middle with a straight back straight forward stroke.
    Recently bought myself a SC Squareback, but it down from 34" to 32", added 20g to counter the shorter shaft, and changed the grip to a fatter grip. Accuracy has improved, but my distance control is now crap; With some putts striking pure and goes a mile, or some just roll half way through. Then when it comes to short 3 feet putts, I would loose confident in it, and nurse the putt ending it going right.

I've watch Phil's short game video previously, and it help my chipping game alot, but I previously found how he placed the ball behind his front feet's heel, it was very odd with the mallet putters I had then.
    After last few weekends' dismal performance, I thought I give it a try during my practice sessions.

I found that my putts are more consistent with how it hits off the putter face. I can seem to easily putt within the 3 feet radius around the hole. Shorter putts seems more aggressive to attack the hole rather then dribbling it in, and so far have been happy with the result.

Only thing is I have been practicing on greens that can be considered as slow. So I am not sure how it will perform on fast greens.
    Another question is on how he suggest the 25-75 putting stroke. Is it meant to control the distance by how fast you follow through or by how far you swing back, thus how much further it will need to follow through for longer putts.

Anyone else use a similar method to this video?

Havent tried this in a game situation, and it will be a stroke game this weekend, so will be interesting to see how it performs.
    Last edited by okitoki; 30th May 2018 at 10:43 AM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    I've been struggling with my putting for a long time now, and previously when using a mallet style putter, it usually get me close in terms of distance control, but accuracy has always been an issue for me, specially with the 3-6 feet putts; my ball position tends to be slightly forward from middle with a straight back straight forward stroke.
    Recently bought myself a SC Squareback, but it down from 34" to 32", added 20g to counter the shorter shaft, and changed the grip to a fatter grip. Accuracy has improved, but my distance control is now crap; With some putts striking pure and goes a mile, or some just roll half way through. Then when it comes to short 3 feet putts, I would loose confident in it, and nurse the putt ending it going right.

I've watch Phil's short game video previously, and it help my chipping game alot, but I previously found how he placed the ball behind his front feet's heel, it was very odd with the mallet putters I had then.
    After last few weekends' dismal performance, I thought I give it a try during my practice sessions.

I found that my putts are more consistent with how it hits off the putter face. I can seem to easily putt within the 3 feet radius around the hole. Shorter putts seems more aggressive to attack the hole rather then dribbling it in, and so far have been happy with the result.

Only thing is I have been practicing on greens that can be considered as slow. So I am not sure how it will perform on fast greens.
    Another question is on how he suggest the 25-75 putting stroke. Is it meant to control the distance by how fast you follow through or by how far you swing back, thus how much further it will need to follow through for longer putts.

Anyone else use a similar method to this video?

Havent tried this in a game situation, and it will be a stroke game this weekend, so will be interesting to see how it performs.
    I really think people using counterbalance putters and fat grips to correct flaws in the putting stroke are looking to fix the symptoms and not the stroke itself.

I got to the bit where he said the hands should follow DTL and the top hand should be strong, then I stopped watching....

Senior Member Major Winner

I think people who use counterbalance and fat grips find it more comfortable, and put the same stroke on the ball with or without them.

Phil is also 2nd in strokes gained putting this year, so he'd be a great person to base your putting on (except the left handed bit).
    Last edited by benno_r; 30th May 2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I think people who use counterbalance and fat grips find it more comfortable, and put the same stroke on the ball with or without them.
    If it's a matter of feel then no probs. What I'm saying is putting a fat grip or counter balancing the putter isn't going to improve putting stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    If it's a matter of feel then no probs. What I'm saying is putting a fat grip or counter balancing the putter isn't going to improve putting stroke.
    It might improve results

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It might improve results
    Anything is possible.

I have tried different grip sizes, and found the fat grips was the most comfortable grip that suits my hand grip, and reduce the twitchiness I had with the smaller grips (So I guess that is my swing fault there)
    But the counter balance was more accidental, as i was after a new grip for the Futura, and decided to do a comparison with the with or without the counterbalance weight.... Liked it with the weight it; Again, it was better for my distance control. Also I think it was because the putter was way too long for me at 35"

Phil is also 2nd in strokes gained putting this year, so he'd be a great person to base your putting on (except the left handed bit).
    I was desperate enough to consider putting left handed at one stage.

I was desperate enough to consider putting left handed at one stage.
    That makes your dominant hand the top hand.

There’s a school of thought that says cricketers should bat this way.

I have tried different grip sizes, and found the fat grips was the most comfortable grip that suits my hand grip, and reduce the twitchiness I had with the smaller grips (So I guess that is my swing fault there)
    If it's a comfort thing, then cool cos that's feel. The twitchy thing is more than like the the putter being in the wrong position during the stroke than your hands wanting to go nuts.

I would think so. With the new addres position seem to have reduce the yips i have had before.

Just went to Golf box to have a try of all their putters in the forward ball position. Most seem to roll much nicer than how I felt before in my old style. Just shafts are too long for me.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I think trying to copy someone’s putter stroke is ****ing bullshit.
    Line and pace beats everything every time.
    I see old ****s sink putts every week with shit strokes because they have great feel and can see lines.
    **** even I have a good day every once in a while!
    Unless you have straight putts all the time, just worry about line and speed!

lol... rough day on the course?

its not a matter of just blindly copying someone else's stroke. Mine wasn't working before, so I am exploring if I am possibly placing my ball in the wrong position when putting which resulted in better line and ball striking. Previously, I think I can see the line and pace, but just cant get both to line up when needed.

However, I'm not fully sold yet on the 25-75 swing in the video yet as I find the over follow through seem to mess up with my pace.

No.
    Your over thinking it mate.

Or get an eyeline putting mirror...

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Have you tried lining up the logo of the ball to the hole? It's helped me recently.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Somebody once told me that "every putt is a straight putt". Its not the putter trying to turn the ball into the hole.

As Nemo said, get the line and pace right first.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Somebody once told me that "every putt is a straight putt". Its not the putter trying to turn the ball into the hole.

As Nemo said, get the line and pace right first.
    How u are going to get your line and pace right if your stroke is crap?

How u are going to get your line and pace right if your stroke is crap?
    Use a fat grip thats counterbalanced.

lol... rough day on the course?

its not a matter of just blindly copying someone else's stroke. Mine wasn't working before, so I am exploring if I am possibly placing my ball in the wrong position when putting which resulted in better line and ball striking. Previously, I think I can see the line and pace, but just cant get both to line up when needed.

However, I'm not fully sold yet on the 25-75 swing in the video yet as I find the over follow through seem to mess up with my pace.
    Get rid of the video. You’ll learn nothing listening to Phil.

Pay attention to the instruction you’re getting on here. Some of these blokes have won Sunday stablefords.

Get rid of the video. You’ll learn nothing listening to Phil. Pay attention to the instruction you’re getting on here. Some of these blokes have won Sunday stablefords.
    And Ozgolf champs....🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    And Ozgolf champs....
    Phil never won one of those

Use a fat grip thats counterbalanced.
    Of cos.....now u have convinced me.

Of cos.....now u have convinced me.
    Here to help bud!

Here to help bud!
    I've just ordered 5 new counter balance grips.

Phil never won one of those
    🤣

Thread Information