Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.

Threaded View

Default Returning to the game for a 3rd time!

Hi folks,

it's great to be swinging a club again after about 10 years of being busy with other things, such as getting married, setting up house, making kids etc. Under threat of an invitation to play Concord and Pennant Hills with business colleagues I thought I'd better head to the range to see how the old (just turned 50) body would cope. Of course I was hooked again and since then have been having lessons with the venerable Allan May at the Brickpit and now have the goal of somehow getting below 8 by the end of the year (was off around 7 previously).

Wow - how things have changed in the gear department! Everyone appears amused at my historic club collection: lob and sand are Cleveland, PW to 2 iron are Bridgestone TourStage NB-32 and 3 and 1 woods are Orlimar Trimetals. Apparently no-one, repeat no-one has seen a 2 iron for years and the 3 iron is fast becoming extinct. As for my woods - well, they're cause for much sniggering and head shaking! I have to remind people that using these very clubs I have hit some reasonable scores back in 'the day'. Perhaps I need to dig deep and consider using some modern gear to my advantage...

As for my 3rd return - I began at Royal Wauchope back in the 70s at junior golf from about age 8 and played until moving to Sydney for uni. After about 15 years off I got back into it quite seriously and got down to around 7, playing at Riverside Oaks, Castle Cove and with friends far wealthier than me at Terrey Hills, Elanora, Monash etc. 10 years ago I met my now wife and that's when my last break began...

Anyway - it's great to be back and I hope to see you out there one day on my new obsessive journey (or my 10th mid-life crisis as my wife loves to point out).

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by deldridg; 14th May 2018 at 06:32 AM.

Thread Information