Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Returning to the game for a 3rd time!

Hi folks,

it's great to be swinging a club again after about 10 years of being busy with other things, such as getting married, setting up house, making kids etc. Under threat of an invitation to play Concord and Pennant Hills with business colleagues I thought I'd better head to the range to see how the old (just turned 50) body would cope. Of course I was hooked again and since then have been having lessons with the venerable Allan May at the Brickpit and now have the goal of somehow getting below 8 by the end of the year (was off around 7 previously).

Wow - how things have changed in the gear department! Everyone appears amused at my historic club collection: lob and sand are Cleveland, PW to 2 iron are Bridgestone TourStage NB-32 and 3 and 1 woods are Orlimar Trimetals. Apparently no-one, repeat no-one has seen a 2 iron for years and the 3 iron is fast becoming extinct. As for my woods - well, they're cause for much sniggering and head shaking! I have to remind people that using these very clubs I have hit some reasonable scores back in 'the day'. Perhaps I need to dig deep and consider using some modern gear to my advantage...

As for my 3rd return - I began at Royal Wauchope back in the 70s at junior golf from about age 8 and played until moving to Sydney for uni. After about 15 years off I got back into it quite seriously and got down to around 7, playing at Riverside Oaks, Castle Cove and with friends far wealthier than me at Terrey Hills, Elanora, Monash etc. 10 years ago I met my now wife and that's when my last break began...

Anyway - it's great to be back and I hope to see you out there one day on my new obsessive journey (or my 10th mid-life crisis as my wife loves to point out).

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by deldridg; 14th May 2018 at 06:32 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

Interesting username. Any annoyingly good golfing cousins playing locally?
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Welcome Dave! The gear has changed a lot in the last 10 years!

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Interesting username. Any annoyingly good golfing cousins playing locally?
    I do have annoying cousins but am not aware of any golfing capability among them, and certainly no locally!

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Welcome Dave! The gear has changed a lot in the last 10 years!
    Thanks for the welcome and yes, it looks like we're being seduced by lots of tech wizardry in the golf arena too these days! I have to remind myself that I did once play the odd decent round with my current (historic) gear... Perhaps it's no longer about the player and more about the bag (and forking out the big $$$ so as to remain 'current and relevant')! Ahhh - the old cynic in me. No doubt modern gear will give much advantage - just have to weigh it all up - lots to consider!

Cheers,
    Dave

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Welcome and welcome back to the game

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome Dave, great to hear that the golf bug has bitten again.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Welcome back Dave, do you like buying stuff ??? 😁😁

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Welcome Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Welcome back Dave, do you like buying stuff ??? 
    Hehe - however did you guess?

Thank you good folk for your kind welcomes. That bug has truly bitten this time. I just joined Royal Gordon GC and have just purchased some new SM7 wedges - a 52, 56 and a 60 in jet black. They are phenomenal and have been getting quite a workout at the venerable Terrey Hills Pitch and Putt.

So your encouraging comments are much appreciated!

Cheers, David

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by deldridg View Post
    Hehe - however did you guess?

Thank you good folk for your kind welcomes. That bug has truly bitten this time. I just joined Royal Gordon GC and have just purchased some new SM7 wedges - a 52, 56 and a 60 in jet black. They are phenomenal and have been getting quite a workout at the venerable Terrey Hills Pitch and Putt.

So your encouraging comments are much appreciated!

Cheers, David
    An overlooked part of golf equipment is the ball. They are all good, but perform a little differently, so figuring out one that you like and sticking with it will do wonders for your game..
    Last edited by mrbluu; 22nd May 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

The new wedges should be a fantastic improvement to your set up.

Most set up these days generally have at least a modern driver, maybe 1 (although sometimes 2) fairway wood(s) and a hybrid which fills the 2-3 and sometimes 4iron spot in the bag.

Whilst alot of pro's may still have either a 2 or 3 iron as a "driving iron" in the bag, in almost all cases a hybrid is going to offer more options. Much easier to get airborne off the deck, usually easier for distance out of the rough, and can even be used for chip and run shots around the green. Some people will always disagree with this, and that's ok too. Definitely worth trying some out and seeing your results, just make sure to set up and hit them more like a long iron than a fairway wood.

Playing with the same ball can help alot as previously mentioned

Something that can matter even more is to get your clubs fitted, especially if you are returning to the game and wanting to improve. Having trust that your clubs are fitted for you can build confidence and allow you to concentrate more on your swing, without the unneeded thoughts into "was it the club or me" mentality. Poorly fitted clubs can encourage poor form with the swing. Grip thickness, lies and lofts, swing weights and shaft lengths are all important to get right! Drivers that come with adjustment options should be set by a pro to optimize spin and loft then usually best left alone.

Thread Information