Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Structured practice

I've been looking for a structured practice program and came across this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU

I'm going to alter it a bit to suit me but it looks like a balanced program that makes the short game practice a bit more fun and challenging than just taking a couple of balls to the practice green and knocking it around without real purpose.

I'm not going to do the 6 shot shapes with the full shots as I'm not good enough for that yet. Mainly working on consistent impact at the moment (center hit and square face/down the line path)

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jono, I watched and downloaded the structure. I'll work through it slowly with my schedule but I'm keen to give it a go (also minus the 6 shot types)
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Thanks for the post.Finding time to work to a structured plan can be hard,I look at my stats and work on the one that will give me the greatest benefit.That is usually chipping and putting

Even a washing basket, a piece of carpet to hit off and in the living room.....amazing how just making contact with a ball helps I 're kon

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I've been looking for a structured practice program and came across this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU

I'm going to alter it a bit to suit me but it looks like a balanced program that makes the short game practice a bit more fun and challenging than just taking a couple of balls to the practice green and knocking it around without real purpose.

I'm not going to do the 6 shot shapes with the full shots as I'm not good enough for that yet. Mainly working on consistent impact at the moment (center hit and square face/down the line path)
    Always good to have a plan and he definitely has the right idea about structuring the practice. I have a handout somewhere from Richard Woodhouse that focuses on creating a structured environment and setting metrics that can be measured. I'm very time poor at the moment so this might help chipping, pitching and putting on my green at home.

So I did this for the first time yesterday.

Thought I would get through at least the 25 x 3 footers, 20 x 20 footers and perhaps 20 x 30 footers in a row.

It took me over an hour to get 25 3 footers in a row! 😳😩.

Things I learned:
    1) I struggled with left to right putts especially one I had to aim just outside the hole. I was blocking a lot of them right and lipping out the low side.
    2) I had to focus on taking dead aim with each putt. It's when I hit careless and took approximate aims that I tended to miss the putt.
    3) I found a "releasing stroke" more reliable than a arms only stroke, especially on left to right putts.
    4) I could see the line much better with my eyes slightly behind the line of the putt (ala Nicklaus) than directly above.

Once I got 25 in a row, I continued for another 12 putts which I made before calling it a day.

It was a great learning session but I think I might have to alter the number of drills if I'm going to go through all of them each week. 😉.

I did similar last night Jono, played 4 holes and then did the following drills;

Alignment Stick pitches- combined this with a compass drill, did 20 from each point of the compass around the green concentrating on trajectory and landing zone.

Alternating trajectory control- with P, 56 and 60 alternate hitting high/mid/low trajectory pitches from 35m trying to land the ball on a towel. I liked this drill as it really tightened up my impact and I managed to keep 99% of the balls on line.

Bunkers- 7/10 inside flagstick length. I went through this one a few times for about 20 minutes. Toward the end I tried alternating high spinny shots with chunk and runs getting a feel for the sand. Definitely an area that needs more work.

I then moved to the range where I spent about an hour working on impact and trajectory control with my wedges then the 9/7/5 iron’s before finishing off with a few drivers and 3 woods.

Current work commitments mean I wont get that opportunity as often as I like but if I can allow a couple of hours once a week while I’m home I’ll be happy.

Sounds like a good session Bushy. 👍🏻.

I did some 20 and 30 footers today and needless to say, I need to work on this more.

Main thing I learned from this was that I wasn't hitting the sweet spot enough. I was hitting a lot of my putts slightly thin. It's hard to get the feel of the length of the putt when you're not striking it consistently off the middle.

Thursdays and Fridays are my days off so I'll try to get couple of short game sessions a week. I'll work on some pitching and bunker play next week. 😊

So I haven't been doing a structured training,just working nightly on putting and getting to the range when I can.I think I have a crack in my driver as it just sounds funny.Hit it a few times today with what I thought was a good swing and it just didnt go

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    So I haven't been doing a structured training,just working nightly on putting and getting to the range when I can.I think I have a crack in my driver as it just sounds funny.Hit it a few times today with what I thought was a good swing and it just didnt go
    Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to. 😉

Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to.
    Yeah I absolutely nutted a drive on Saturday that went a bit over 220m.Given it was down hill a bit and a small tail wind it should have rolled thru the fairway.Time to get a new putter🤣

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Yeah I absolutely nutted a drive on Saturday that went a bit over 220m.Given it was down hill a bit and a small tail wind it should have rolled thru the fairway.Time to get a new putter🤣
    You're finally learning

Have a close look at the face. If you can't see the crack now, it will show up in the next couple of rounds. First thing you notice is slightly more tinny sound. If it's a recent purchase you might be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer. Unfortunately all fine were bought second hand.

Have a close look at the face. If you can't see the crack now, it will show up in the next couple of rounds. First thing you notice is slightly more tinny sound. If it's a recent purchase you might be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer. Unfortunately all fine were bought second hand.
    Will do.

Went and hit 4iron,9 iron and 51 wedge this arvo.Not sure why but my miss shot seems to be high right and short.Need to film it but I think I am coming over the top too much.When I settle and stay low I seem to get a better strike and trajectory but it feels very unnatural

Member Teaching Pro

I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!
    broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved in

Most likely mate. I've cracked three driver faces since I started playing again a year ago. They don't make them like they used to. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Aussielongdriver View Post
    I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved in
    Mate I'm not surprised with your club head speed. Did Callaway and Ping refund them? Why don't you just play XR16 LD? That has a thicker face, yeah?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Cheap way to ho though

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

How fast do you need to swing to break that many drivers?

Steve's a long drive champ, fast and hard, scary to watch.

I still remember playing with him years ago and he hit a 9 iron for his second shot into 13 at Liverpool, a 495 metre par 5.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

this steve? (sorry... didnt know)

Yep.

I'm on my 10th driver in 10 months !!!!
    broken 5 Epic Sub Zero's and now 4 Ping G400 LST as well as 3 3woods , all caved in
    I’ve got a mate in SA who fancies himself as a bit of a long driver but he rooted his back in Afghanistan so he is dialling it back. He has cracked 2 Cobra F8’s this year and an M3, each time replaced under warranty.

Hits his 4 iron longer than most people hit driver, its amazing to watch. BUT he is a solid 13 marker so he’s all over the show.

Member Teaching Pro

Callaway kept replacing them till I gave up and sold them. Ping are trying to get info from the US tour to see if tour players are having issues or playing reinforced heads

Member Teaching Pro

That video was a while ago! my current driver head speed varries between 125-130mph , getting old 50 very soon.3 wood 120mph.
    Eligible for snr pga tour late August and will be aiming to play in the NSW Snr Open in Oct, started working on my game a bit more with Macus Both. Have previously got my Hcap to +3 so I hope to be competitive .

my current driver head speed varries between 125-130mph
    Heck! 130mph is moving. Is your LD swing much - or any - different to your game swing?

The last time my (44.5") driver CH speed was properly measured was in in late 2010 when I was getting refitted for much softer shafts after returning from breaking my shoulder 3 months earlier. Even then I still averaged 117mph for that session though, so I ended up only changing my driver shaft (and then giving up the game for the next half a decade, apparently). I was well into the 120's prior to the shoulder injury but I was still in my 20's and a ball of abs with long arms, so I'd be orders of magnitude less than that now. Having 130mph on the Snr PGA Tour is unbelievable.

Thread Information