Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Christ, could you imagine the Arki discussions between us all about any hole design changes!?!?
    Would any work get done?

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Would any work get done?
    Easily.

While everyone is talking, Lefty will make the calls, pay deposits and rope in any help needed.

The golfing diehards will play it and walk away saying 'Best course ever. I'm coming back'.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Then of course there is an Ozgolfer Archi who has already done work on this course in the past.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Christ, could you imagine the Arki discussions between us all about any hole design changes!?!?
    Only needs a changes on a few holes, such as ALL of them. IMO worst overrated course ever. Just because of the Kerry Packer 4 memberships urban legend ( which is true) and a downhill par 3, many seem to think its Augusta.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Doesn't kooralbyn have a downhill par 3? Does that mean it's also like Augusta?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Canberra update.

Gold Creek is now making money and will stay open after the owners were told it would not be permitted to be rezoned.
    Yowani - sell off of all the land east of the creek is going ahead, redevelopment starts later this year into a par 70, shorter course. Could be good fun.
    Belconnen GC - the course has been taken over by the Burns Club group, a wealthy community club based 20km away with a very active social golf crew. They see it as an opportunity for growth, as they will have the only licenced premises and restaurant within 3-5km of 10000 newly built houses for the forseeable future.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Kooralbyn was revived after 5 or more years.FWIW "they" cant just turn it into parkland, because thats expensive to maintain, and land tax is expensive for unutilised land. (thats why there are cows on a paddock in the middle of gold coast - to avoid the tax)If the developers cant get a deal done with council ( imo thats the likely outcome) they will sell it. And as the course has deteriorated, and developer value is zero, someone will pick it up for a song.
    Latest update on the councillors Facebook.

The GCBulletin has published a story today regarding a "Unique Wellness Centre" (also available for weddings, conferences etc.) using the clubhouse at the Arundel Hills Country Club site.

It reports the site was leased by Guardian Eco Group (over the Country Club buildings, including club house and workshop sheds) from December 2022 until March 16, 2023 with the current site owner, Zhongsheng Group; and that once settlement with the new owners is completed that the lessee will be looking to make a further arrangement with the new owners.

The story goes on to report that they will not be retaining a golf course, but looking to retain the 'green spaces'. Which seems interesting when it appears they only have a current lease over the buildings.

I am not aware of any plans or application having been submitted to the City regarding the proposal referenced in the GCBulletin Story.

On a further matter, the City received a number of complaints about the current activities in the sheds on the site. Officers have advised me that they have issued a show cause notice regarding unlawful use of the site, with a period of 25 business days afforded the respondent regarding the issues.

I spoke a few minutes ago with Dale Carroll one of the prospective purchasers. This story and its contents has come as somewhat of a surprise to him and his partners. He advised me that settlement is due to occur in around 10 days. That he does not as of yet have a definitive date for lodgement of a formal application for their plans; however that prior to lodgement he will provide a briefing to officers and myself.

That's all the latest information I have at the moment. As and when more information becomes available I will provided residents with an update.

thats pretty much it - there isnt even any rumours going on now. but that does confirm that the buyers are committed to completing the purchase in about 3 weeks time.
    Clearly that BS about whatever the current 'lessor' is doing on the site is only temporary like Wellness and weddings and building crap in the shed. Its just a guy getting temporary cheap rent and acting as caretaker. Obviously not the new owners intention for the site.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 3rd March 2023 at 07:47 PM.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

sale of Arundel GC has settled, the new owners have lodged a DA, and announced gifting of 7 hectares to the nearby school (will be parts of holes 1,9 and 2,8 i assume) , 450 low density housing and 50% of the site remaining green space.
    https://www.abpat.qld.edu.au/news/co...inks-land-gift
    DA details are not online yet, and there is no certainty that council would approve it, so there is still some hope for a golf course.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Here is the site concept plan as part of the "variation request" aka rezoning + a site plan.

The high level of detail in other documents suggests that its much more than a concept.
    They repeat bullshit in a few places that "golf on the site is shown to be unviable so it needs a new purpose" - considering the boom in golf last few years, its obvious management deliberately ran it into the ground in order to sell it. The original pre-lodgement request was submitted by the new owners on 11/07/22 after Arundel went into admin on 24/05/22. IMO, thats a little too fast.
    They also stated that they disagree with some of the Councils advice in the pre-lodgement meeting, seems to me they are going ahead with their original plans.

I really dont think this is going to get approved.

Attached Images
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 20th March 2023 at 09:42 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Here is the site concept plan as part of the "variation request" aka rezoning + a site plan.The high level of detail in other documents suggests that its much more than a concept.They repeat bullshit in a few places that "golf on the site is shown to be unviable so it needs a new purpose" - considering the boom in golf last few years, its obvious management deliberately ran it into the ground in order to sell it. The original pre-lodgement request was submitted by the new owners on 11/07/22 after Arundel went into admin on 24/05/22. IMO, thats a little too fast.They also stated that they disagree with some of the Councils advice in the pre-lodgement meeting, seems to me they are going ahead with their original plans.I really dont think this is going to get approved.
    They may not get this version through, but then they’ll just tweak different versions until it does get through. Either way I’d say golf is gone. The developer will just say, yes you lose golf, but look at the wildlife flourishing in the green space and the school has been gifted land too.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is the gifted land the lowest and/or least useable for development?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Is the gifted land the lowest and/or least useable for development?
    No. Not at all. Its just the bit closest to the school
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The Minns government will convert half of Moore Park Golf Course into Sydney's own 'Central Park' to help cope with increasing population.

Clover Moore will be happy as she's tried to do this for years.

The article is behind the Telegraph paywall.
    Last edited by pt73; 22nd October 2023 at 08:52 AM.

Hasnt this been in the news for years? Or is this another one?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Hasnt this been in the news for years? Or is this another one?
    The council tried for years but were overruled by previous state government.

New state government now, pity as it's one of the busiest public courses close to the CBD.

The course is already adjacent to several km2 of existing massive parks and green spaces already, so on the face of it this is pointless. But developers can make bigger donations than golfers so it was inevitable.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The course is already adjacent to several km2 of existing massive parks and green spaces already, so on the face of it this is pointless. But developers can make bigger donations than golfers so it was inevitable.
    That was pointed out every time Clover Moore wanted to create a park there but she ignored it.

I guess we’ll see if the government follows through on their plans to make it into a park or it magically ends up being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    That was pointed out every time Clover Moore wanted to create a park there but she ignored it.I guess we’ll see if the government follows through on their plans to make it into a park or it magically ends up being developed.
    It’s not so they can develop the site itself into housing, it’s so they can rezone the surrounding area to higher density housing on the back of the extra green space. Same end result though. Developers get richer and golfers get screwed.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    It’s not so they can develop the site itself into housing, it’s so they can rezone the surrounding area to higher density housing on the back of the extra green space. Same end result though. Developers get richer and golfers get screwed.

Green space

This article says the current operator has a contract until mid 2026, will be interesting to see how that plays out.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...n-inner-sydney

Here is the site concept plan as part of the "variation request" aka rezoning + a site plan.The high level of detail in other documents suggests that its much more than a concept.They repeat bullshit in a few places that "golf on the site is shown to be unviable so it needs a new purpose" - considering the boom in golf last few years, its obvious management deliberately ran it into the ground in order to sell it. The original pre-lodgement request was submitted by the new owners on 11/07/22 after Arundel went into admin on 24/05/22. IMO, thats a little too fast.They also stated that they disagree with some of the Councils advice in the pre-lodgement meeting, seems to me they are going ahead with their original plans.I really dont think this is going to get approved.
    Apparently the Qld State Govt has approved this but it still needs to go before GC Council for approval. Are they basically forcing Council’s hand here by going to the State Govt first?

Local councillor said this about that announcement, so it actually doesnt mean anything serious.
    Update - Arundel Hills development application

Thanks to the Gold Coast Bulletin for the story… but this is not an “approval”.

The truth is the State is a referral agency to the application and the decision rests with the City.

When the State has referral advice on planning application, it is incorporated into the City officer assessment.

These SARA advice notices happen all the time - it is a normal part of the assessment process; it’s completely premature for anyone to think this is an “approval” (…if the State appointed “advisor” was able to discuss these matters with residents they would say exactly the same thing 🤷*♂️).
    --
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Yowani had their farewell event on the weekend, as the redevelopment starts this week.
    It will be 9 holes, 18 tees for a couple of years.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Arundel GC Update:
    City council planning officers have finished their assessment of the Preliminary DA, and are recommending rejection, because briefly;
    - loss of sport and recreation land, and the rezoning doesnt comply with the City plan anyway.
    - Amenity to existing homes, ie loss of propert values and open space, and plan is out of character in the area
    - unnaceptable environmental impacts
    - the positive benifits of the plan not strong enough to override other concerns.

I am fairly sure the Developer cant appeal this to the Lands Court (who usually let the developer win) because its not the DA thats rejected per se, its the rezoning application. I beleive the Lands court cant overule rezoning applications decisions in such a case.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 12th January 2024 at 03:52 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information