Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Selling blocks of land with views of a prison would take a good salesman.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

It looks as though Growling Frog in the north of Melbourne is next on the chopping block! Not enough money rolling through, the council are considering their options...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Flusher View Post
    It looks as though Growling Frog in the north of Melbourne is next on the chopping block! Not enough money rolling through, the council are considering their options...
    GSM appear to have taken the frog over they are advertising for an operations manager on golf industry central

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Flusher View Post
    An ok course,but not really close to anything from memory.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

GF is rubbish; no loss.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Not sure this is the right view.

While we'd all like to play Royal Melb, Barnbougle, Augusta or Pine Valley exclusively it's important to acknowledge the roll even the most basic local course plays in bringing people into the game and helping ensure its long term survival.

My first golf was played at Rouse Hill 9 hole public course followed by Kellyville Country Club. With the benefit of time in the game I would describe both as goat tracks BUT they showed me how much fun the game could be and what a great way it was to spend time with friends. I didn't know or care the layouts were rubbish, the fairways were more dirt than grass, they didn't rate in a top course list or that they didn't have a nice clubhouse/bar/restaurant. Sadly both are long gone and replaced by overcrowded housing developments.

Every course lost impacts the future access to the game for its most important audience... those young or old who haven't yet discovered it !
    Last edited by thatguy; 16th May 2019 at 07:21 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Not sure this is the right view.

While we'd all like to play Royal Melb, Barnbougle, Augusta or Pine Valley exclusively it's important to acknowledge the roll even the most basic local course plays in bringing people into the game and helping ensure its long term survival.

My first golf was played at Rouse Hill 9 hole public course followed by Kellyville Country Club. With the benefit of time in the game I would describe both as goat tracks BUT they showed me how much fun the game could be and what a great way it was to spend time with friends. I didn't know or care the layouts were rubbish, the fairways were more dirt than grass, they didn't rate in a top course list or that they didn't have a nice clubhouse/bar/restaurant. Sadly both are long gone and replaced by overcrowded housing developments.

Every course lost impacts the future access to the game for its most important audience... those young or old who haven't yet discovered it !
    Well said.If it wasn't for ordinary courses we wouldn't have great ones

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Well said.If it wasn't for ordinary courses we wouldn't have great ones
    The Kellyville land developer built a new modern course for the club 20 mins further out. The Ashlar developer did similar.

I don't miss Parramatta, East Hills or the Camden course (which I've forgotten the name).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    The Kellyville land developer built a new modern course for the club 20 mins further out. The Ashlar developer did similar.

I don't miss Parramatta, East Hills or the Camden course (which I've forgotten the name).
    Kellyville was replaced with Lynwood and Ashlar with Stonecutters - yes both of which are better than the courses they replaced but not the same. The underlying issue is these new venues is they're not as relaxed, accessible and low cost venues to be introduced to the game as the courses they replaced.

We need to be very careful as more of the courses we deem not worthy are taken away, this is a permanent step that lessens the access to the game. The strength and future viability of a sport/game is how simple and low cost it is to try it out and learn. If the only options left are courses with great facilities but $50+ dollar green fees that even then are difficult to get a game on the weekend (because these are the courses everyone seeks to play) we're pushing newcomers away and dooming the game to become even more of an elitist pursuit than it is already perceived by many.

Blog Entries

Golf is not an efficient use of the land needed, and courses were (and still are) built on the less economically-desirable land - too far out, too rocky, too steep or flood prone areas. The low-cost players need to support these courses weekly to keep them alive, otherwise those 40 hectares won't be around for their 6 games a year of $20 golf.

On the other side to the development coin ... Moore Park, Eastlake and Warringah are all on swamp land and popular, but all three are often in the sights for 'more community access'. Warringah just got a reprieve, so Marrickville is now targetted by the social warriors to convert half of it into parkland (alongside the parkland on the other side of the canal).

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    the problem is we are overloaded with developer built golf courses that are unsustainable.
    followed by member built and evolved golf courses that are now spending too much money to lift their standards to compete with the developer built courses surroundng them.

somethings gotta give eventually.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Golf is not an efficient use of the land needed, and courses were (and still are) built on the less economically-desirable land - too far out, too rocky, too steep or flood prone areas. The low-cost players need to support these courses weekly to keep them alive, otherwise those 40 hectares won't be around for their 6 games a year of $20 golf.

On the other side to the development coin ... Moore Park, Eastlake and Warringah are all on swamp land and popular, but all three are often in the sights for 'more community access'. Warringah just got a reprieve, so Marrickville is now targetted by the social warriors to convert half of it into parkland (alongside the parkland on the other side of the canal).
    If the Beaches Link Tunnel goes ahead both Balgowlah and Cammeray will go.

Half of Cammeray will be closed during construction, it's a 9 hole course so 4 1/2 holes is unworkable.

The original plan has a road going through Balgowlah and the rest as sporting fields.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    If the Beaches Link Tunnel goes ahead both Balgowlah and Cammeray will go.

Half of Cammeray will be closed during construction, it's a 9 hole course so 4 1/2 holes is unworkable.

The original plan has a road going through Balgowlah and the rest as sporting fields.
    Cammeray is a chance of being a kickarse practice facility and a real short course.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gollfer69 View Post
    Cammeray is a chance of being a kickarse practice facility and a real short course.
    I was thinking similar this morning on the way to work, and Curlewis range and putt-putt sprung to mind.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollfer69 View Post
    I was thinking similar this morning on the way to work, and Curlewis range and putt-putt sprung to mind.
    Still sounds like driver on most holes for dotty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Still sounds like driver on most holes for dotty
    But you'll be putting first.

After you've lasered it.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

But you'll be putting first.

After you've lasered it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Moriset to go very shortly, Cessnock has also gone under recently.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/6...close/?cs=7580

Not a good look to have all these courses closing down!
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Member Teaching Pro

Looks like vic park in brissy is on the way out. No big loss course wise but i hope they keep their practice facilities and range.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie1 View Post
    Looks like vic park in brissy is on the way out. No big loss course wise but i hope they keep their practice facilities and range.
    For what? It was bequeathed to the council for sporting purposes, I believe.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

A public park apparently. The course will go but they’re trying to keep the driving range I think.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    A public park apparently. The course will go but they’re trying to keep the driving range I think.
    Pretty sure it's all going and they're looking for area to relocate range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Pretty sure it's all going and they're looking for area to relocate range.
    Wasn't that the whole point of Golf Central being created?

Sent from a phone using the crappy tapatalk app

When are they building Minnippi?

Thread Information