Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

It was being discussed today during our round but I was sleep deprived and my memory is vague.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

However, the Council has committed to work with the current tenants to ensure the popular driving range, putt-putt course, wedding venue and function centre are part of the new parkland.
    It looks like it may be a couple of years away too. I was thinking of having a cheap-ish hit at Vic Park on a Tuesday morning on the way to work anyway. I don't think I've played 18 holes there since it was a member's course.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The VPark range is crap.
    The VPark pro shop is crap.
    The VPark staff are useless.
    The putt putt is a rip off.
    I like the golf course, apart from the over supply of par 3's...Cheap on a Tuesday and in heaps better condition than most other courses in Brisbane overall.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

One of the public comments made by some moron was that this park will benefit all the community, whereas the golf course only benefits a small subsection.

what a load of crap.
    - not everyone goes to a park
    - golf course doesn't 'benefit golfers', they have to pay to use the blooody thing, and thats revenue for the city.

wanker.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    One of the public comments made by some moron was that this park will benefit all the community, whereas the golf course only benefits a small subsection.

what a load of crap.
    - not everyone goes to a park
    - golf course doesn't 'benefit golfers', they have to pay to use the blooody thing, and thats revenue for the city.

wanker.
    Exactly - no revenue from a park!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

How much $$$ is this Vic Park golf course losing/costing the ratepayers every year?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    How much $$$ is this Vic Park golf course losing/costing the ratepayers every year?
    A bit less than the rubbish collection and public transport

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    These are just from googling, so not sure how accurate, but here are some figures that are being quoted:
    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/brisbane-news/downswing-at-brisbane-s-golf-courses-as-residents-opt-for-putt-putt-20181017-p50aa4.html

Brisbane City Council owns and manages two 18-hole golf courses, including St Lucia Golf Links and Victoria Park Golf Complex, which also has an 18-hole putt putt course.
    In the 2018-19 budget, more than $5 million was budgeted to manage the facilities and leases of the two courses, with a revenue of about $3.6 million.A further $17.8 million was budgeted for a new council-owned course at Cannon Hill.
    Opposition councillor Kara Cook said Golf Australia figures showed the sport had been in decline for the past 20 years, losing 27 per cent of membership between 1998 and 2016.
    “The council has budgeted to lose $1.4 million on the Victoria Park and St Lucia courses this financial year,” she said.

Victoria Park Golf Course

Between 2009-10 and 2017-18:
    • Putt putt patronage increased 60%
    • Driving range patronage increased by 14%
    • Golf course patronage decreased 16%
    2017-18 patronage:
    • Putt putt – 111, 677
    • Driving range – 70,209
    • Golf course – 34,890
    • There will be a two-year transition, and Victoria Park Golf Course will remain open until 2021.
    • Council also owns St Lucia Golf Links and a new public golf course at Cannon Hill is due for completion by the end of 2021.
    • There are a further 15 golf courses in Brisbane.

I would have thought Vic Park was leased out?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Golf Australia sound like they’ll try and save Victoria Park.

https://www.golf.org.au/newsdisplay/...ussions/103823

The proposed closure of the Victoria Park Golf Course would be a significant loss for golf in Queensland and Golf Australia is attempting to save this iconic course from closure.
    CEO Stephen Pitt says Golf Australia wasn’t consulted in the lead up to Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner’s comments on Sunday but it would like to be included in discussions about Victoria Park moving forward and there has been liaison between the parties to meet to discuss the future of Victoria Park Golf Course.

Pitt says Golf Australia expects to be involved in any process relating to the future of Victoria Park.
    “Golf Australia knows its number one priority is ensuring the game of golf continues to grow, with more people having more opportunities to enjoy our game,” says Pitt.
    “The possibility of facilities like Victoria Park having their doors closed is something we take extremely seriously and we look forward to an open-minded discussion with the Brisbane City Council to find a solution that provides open space for golfers and all members of the public.”
    Similar plans for the popular Albert Park Golf Course in Melbourne were thwarted last year after a strong response from the local community.
    In 2017, Parks Victoria indicated its desire to halve Albert Park from an 18-hole layout to nine holes.
    But a formal submission from Golf Australia opposing the plan was backed by the Melbourne golf community, with plans to downgrade Albert Park scrapped in late 2018.
    A number of petitions protesting the council’s plans have already been set up by members of the public in a strong show of support for the Victoria Park golf course.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I've just learnt what our Lord Mayor's name is. I will have forgotten it by tomorrow though.

Being so central, I think that it is probably worth saving as a public course.

Member Club Pro

Rosny Park Golf Course, former site of Royal Hobart will close in about weeks time. I think this would mean there would be no 'public' courses in greater Hobart.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Rosny Park Golf Course, former site of Royal Hobart will close in about weeks time. I think this would mean there would be no 'public' courses in greater Hobart.
    Pittwater 9 hole

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Gold Creek Country Club - the owners are now proposing to close the back 9 and infill. This will be somewhat unpopular to the rows of $2-3m houses that had golf course frontage, looking over to the Brindabella mountains 20k away. I suspect its an ambit claim to eventually settle to 'meeting community expectations and desires' and instead get approval to redevelop the driving range and 3 now closed practice holes.

Yowani Country Club - Development application approval signs to lose 20% of their available land and build a more compact, shorter course with a relocated clubhouse. Not sure where they will fit it in but the club is heading towards insolvency without it.
    Gold Creek survived after the residents set up a multi million dollar fighting fund, and the owners heard from the ACT government they would never get permission to redevelop. GC made money last year for the first time in a long time, and is hosting the Australian Junior Amateur this week.

Yowani is still struggling to survive - the change in lease conditions and redevelopment plans are still not approved.

Add Belconnen GC to this list. No money, and can't afford water.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Surely Canberra’s population can afford a facility like Belconnen? Is there no golfers there?
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Pittwater 9 hole

Pittwater as I understand is still a private club, but like most 9 holers in Hobart the general public can play at certain times and chuck money in a honesty box.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRoyal View Post
    Pittwater as I understand is still a private club, but like most 9 holers in Hobart the general public can play at certain times and chuck money in a honesty box.
    Not sure, me and Ferrins just rocked up and played

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Surely Canberra’s population can afford a facility like Belconnen? Is there no golfers there?
    The management group of Belconnen ran two sports clubs into the ground. They have thrown all their eggs in a new basket... And it's struggling.Now the ACT Gov is charging them potable water rates for recycled water they previously accessed for a pittance, they can't make ends meet.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Member Trainee Pro

Whats to happen Wayne? Belconnen is in reasonably good shape and Ive quite enjoyed it since I joined. Was the aim to try to hold out until Strathnairns growing population could keep it running?
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.

Quote Originally Posted by rickie prowler View Post
    Whats to happen Wayne? Belconnen is in reasonably good shape and Ive quite enjoyed it since I joined. Was the aim to try to hold out until Strathnairns growing population could keep it running?
    Did you get the email from the club? It suggested that the viability of the club going forward was doubtful if the water charges continued. This would then allow the course to be closed down and sold off...

Its a valuable addition to the Canberra golf landscape, and I don't want to see it go!

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Major Winner

Did you get the email from the club? It suggested that the viability of the club going forward was doubtful if the water charges continued. This would then allow the course to be closed down and sold off...

Its a valuable addition to the Canberra golf landscape, and I don't want to see it go!
    Any lakes on course? There’s a bit of money to be made filling them in with somebody else’s dirt, sharks be damned!

Did you get the email from the club? It suggested that the viability of the club going forward was doubtful if the water charges continued. This would then allow the course to be closed down and sold off...!
    interesting comment about water charges, would it happen to be grey water?

AFAIK my course/club has always got grey water for free since forever, so wondering if thats common.

It might seem generous but Gold coast city paid for a huge pipe out into the ocean to pump the grey water out, and the fish dont pay a cent, so it seems like a great idea to give it away to sports etc. But, i heard the city wants to now slug our golf course a hefty fee for water, dont quote me but 1c per litre, and it 20k litres for a good nights watering.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Marktheblake

detail deleted, erroneous calculation. See latter post. Apologies

Benje
    Last edited by Benje; 20th April 2021 at 08:37 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    interesting comment about water charges, would it happen to be grey water?

AFAIK my course/club has always got grey water for free since forever, so wondering if thats common.

It might seem generous but Gold coast city paid for a huge pipe out into the ocean to pump the grey water out, and the fish dont pay a cent, so it seems like a great idea to give it away to sports etc. But, i heard the city wants to now slug our golf course a hefty fee for water, dont quote me but 1c per litre, and it 20k litres for a good nights watering.
    Sounds like the council are trying to recoup the free tenancy that was offered.
    That course gets flooded enough, build a dam and save some of that water.
    Last edited by MAZA68; 20th April 2021 at 06:56 PM.

Benje.... i did say dont quote me! Clubhouse gossip is rarely reliable, but i think the lessee is still not amused.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information