Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
    Why don't you like the layout ?
    I don't even remember it anymore.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I don't even remember it anymore.
    I couldn't remember it 5 minutes after I played, and I can usually recall every hole without trouble. Pretty forgettable (other than the fact that a few holes were almost identical) and over priced for what it was.

Senior Member Major Winner

There was a few reasons I avoided it:
    1. Price
    2. Penal design (nothing like heaps of holes where good shots were feeding into hazards)
    3. Lack of rounds under 5hrs

It was always in decent nick when I was there, but I never enjoyed being out on course there, probably due to reasons 2 and 3 above.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post

good shots were feeding into hazards)
    I thought this wouldn't apply to you much

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    I thought this wouldn't apply to you much
    When your one good shot a round lands middle of the fairway and feeds into a hazard, it's a little soul destroying.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

When your one good shot a round lands middle of the fairway and feeds into a hazard, it's a little soul destroying.
    They put a fairway and hazards on the driving range??? #drivingrangeking

1. Price
    2. Penal design (nothing like heaps of holes where good shots were feeding into hazards)

It was always in decent nick when I was there, but I never enjoyed being out on course there, probably due to reasons 2 and 3 above.
    Reason 1 was never a factor for me as I didn't have to pay, but even a decade ago they were stinging social golfers $140 a round, sometimes.

Reason 2, however, is one I remember a lot from playing there. I am not sure I have ever played another course than punishes well-hit fairway shots as much as Northlakes. Some of the fairways, unless you hit a big ropey draw high up onto the high side, your ball would trickle into a hazard or at best the rough if there was lucky enough to be some to stop the ball. On a few holes I remember the better outcomes were from poor shots that landed high up in the rough which would bounce down and into the middle of the fairway.

Comparing this to say Brookwater, which is equally difficult, tree-lined and a chopper's nightmare, however always rewards a well-struck shot down the guts as the fairways tend to funnel inwards.

There is a difference between a course being tough and a course being penal where it shouldn't. I enjoy tougher courses despite almost always putting up a big score; poor outcomes from poor shots is to be expected. I don't much enjoy poor outcomes from good shots, however.

1. Price

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    Reason 1 was never a factor for me as I didn't have to pay, but even a decade ago they were stinging social golfers $140 a round, sometimes.

Reason 2, however, is one I remember a lot from playing there. I am not sure I have ever played another course than punishes well-hit fairway shots as much as Northlakes. Some of the fairways, unless you hit a big ropey draw high up onto the high side, your ball would trickle into a hazard or at best the rough if there was lucky enough to be some to stop the ball. On a few holes I remember the better outcomes were from poor shots that landed high up in the rough which would bounce down and into the middle of the fairway.

Comparing this to say Brookwater, which is equally difficult, tree-lined and a chopper's nightmare, however always rewards a well-struck shot down the guts as the fairways tend to funnel inwards.

There is a difference between a course being tough and a course being penal where it shouldn't. I enjoy tougher courses despite almost always putting up a big score; poor outcomes from poor shots is to be expected. I don't much enjoy poor outcomes from good shots, however.
    If they end up in hazards they’re not good shots

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I knew some joker would say that despite entirely understanding the point I was making.

If the only way to hit the fairway is to not hit the fairway then I put to you that it is poor hole design, or unenjoyable hole layout at best.

The topic of discussion was why the course is not enjoyable. That is a valid reason.

Of course you can argue that, but then by your definition a good shot is so much harder to execute it becomes an overly tough course that is no longer enjoyable.

I knew some joker would say that despite entirely understanding the point I was making.

If the only way to hit the fairway is to not hit the fairway then I put to you that it is poor hole design, or unenjoyable hole layout at best.

The topic of discussion was why the course is not enjoyable. That is a valid reason.

Of course you can argue that, but then by your definition a good shot is so much harder to execute it becomes an overly tough course that is no longer enjoyable.
    When it’s dry and hard, seemingly good shots at Riverlakes will end up in hazards too but old blokes can bunt it around and keep it on the short stuff.

The inability or unwillingness to execute the shots required v course being too hard are different arguments.

Choppers gonna chop. It’s not the course’s fault.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Doesn't stop Northlakes being poo

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

When it’s dry and hard, seemingly good shots at Riverlakes will end up in hazards too but old blokes can bunt it around and keep it on the short stuff.

The inability or unwillingness to execute the shots required v course being too hard are different arguments.

So your saying that unless we all play old mans golf (bunt up the fairway) we should be penalised for shots that hit the correct part of the fairway?

Having played Riverlakes for many years, there were many areas to hit good shots too that were not penalised.

The same goes for almost every course in SEQ when things dry out. I am not talking about running long or over-running your shot shape with the bounce and roll of hard fairways. There are holes on Northlakes where hitting the extreme upper left side of the fairway can result in the ball rolling into the hazard on the lower right. The hole almost takes itself out of play, unless you aim up near the cart path in the rough, dodging the trees, and have it run down into the fairway.

If some loose argument is being made that this is somehow good design and enjoyable to play, I would love to hear it. In my opinion it is neither, and is penal for the wrong reasons and in a very different way to any of the other more difficult (and more enjoyable) courses in the region.

I can chop it on any course without fuss.

Northlakes is garbage.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shreko View Post
    So your saying that unless we all play old mans golf (bunt up the fairway) we should be penalised for shots that hit the correct part of the fairway?

Having played Riverlakes for many years, there were many areas to hit good shots too that were not penalised.
    I’m saying if a shot ends in a bad spot it was probably a bad shot. Simple.

Many areas to hit shots to that were not penalised? Yeah, that’s my point.

The golf course determines a good shot, not the golfer.

There were not 'many areas' for other options in the hole I am thinking of at Northlakes. The way it played was not by design, it fought against its own design. Having to land almost in the bush or on a cart path for an effective tee shot does not a good hole make.

Imagine if we were discussing a car being discontinued after losing money:

"In my opinion after driving this car many times this car handled horribly and was always unenjoyable to drive compared to other options in its class. Every time I took a particular corner in the rain it would spin out, which I disliked."
    "Yeah, but you are a shit driver."

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The car and the driver can both be terrible.

There were not 'many areas' for other options in the hole I am thinking of at Northlakes. The way it played was not by design, it fought against its own design. Having to land almost in the bush or on a cart path for an effective tee shot does not a good hole make.

Imagine if we were discussing a car being discontinued after losing money:

"In my opinion after driving this car many times this car handled horribly and was always unenjoyable to drive compared to other options in its class. Every time I took a particular corner in the rain it would spin out, which I disliked."
    "Yeah, but you are a shit driver."

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. The car and the driver can both be terrible.
    Slow down around the corner

Exactly, and when you are forced to go so slow around the corner that driving no longer becomes fun, you are happy the car gets turned into a retirement village.

As predictable as sunrise and sunset.

What if every other car didn't spin out at a normal speed? Are we still allowed to have an opinion that car is dogshit and not enjoyable?

As predictable as sunrise and sunset.

What if every other car didn't spin out at a normal speed? Are we still allowed to have an opinion that car is dogshit and not enjoyable?
    What if better golfers could hit shots that hold the fairway?

I played with far better golfers. Their opinion (and resulting shots) were much the same.

Regardless, and going back to the car analogy, that is a bit like saying a better driver would be able to take the corner with more success. Well yes, but how does that make the car more enjoyable or any better in any way.

Northlakes is the Mitsubishi Magna of golf courses.

So you are saying you have to be a pro or better (british open shots were not holding) to enjoy what is a resort course!!!!

I think the point is that even the pro's (who get on for free) would whinge about their good shots ending up in a hazard through a poorly designed course, as opposed to single figure markes who pay in excess of $100 to enjoy what is considered a top Brisbane course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreko View Post
    So you are saying you have to be a pro or better (british open shots were not holding) to enjoy what is a resort course!!!! I think the point is that even the pro's (who get on for free) would whinge about their good shots ending up in a hazard through a poorly designed course, as opposed to single figure markes who pay in excess of $100 to enjoy what is considered a top Brisbane course.
    You've started your last two posts by telling me what I'm saying and getting it completely wrong. Let's try and simplify it, 2 questions requiring yes or no answers. 520m par 5, 60m wide, flat fairway, no bunkers. You hit driver dead straight 290m. Is that a good shot? Next hole, 150m par 3. You hit driver dead straight 290m. Is that a good shot?

You've started your last two posts by telling me what I'm saying and getting it completely wrong. Let's try and simplify it, 2 questions requiring yes or no answers. 520m par 5, 60m wide, flat fairway, no bunkers. You hit driver dead straight 290m. Is that a good shot? Next hole, 150m par 3. You hit driver dead straight 290m. Is that a good shot?
    520m par 5, 60m wide, flat fairway, no bunkers. You hit driver dead straight 290m - bounces off rh side of fairway into a hazard that runs entire left side of hole!!! This is what happens at Northlakes

Yeah ok. Great point.

Thread Information