Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I know 3 councillors have said "no chance" to an application to rezone the site, as in speaking for all council rather than only themselves.

The City Plan has very specific regulations that protect rezoning of green space sites.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Canberras cheapest, most public golf course Capital is closing in the next month or so. Canberra doesn't have any council run courses as such, so this was the first step for getting into golf for many where you could just turn up and play almost any day of the week.

In the 80s, it was cheap and cheerful and always in magic condition. A rebuild in about 1990 saw the highest quarter of the land sold for housing, and a shorter, more compressed but generally better layout completed.

The club struggled with someone to run the clubhouse, going through many sets of hands. Course condition deteriorated every year as there was less money to play with. In 2014, the Golf Club as such was wound up and the course relied on the private owner, a millionaire property developer who was bought the land as a future investment, with the only income being green fee players to pay its way. I played there about 12/18 month ago and was extremely disappointed in the condition, and noted new developments built to the boundary had seen two holes shortened dramatically.

I won't be sad to see it go, but its one of the majority of courses that are struggling to keep afloat or afford the continual improvements and maintenance required.

Seeya Crapital, I will always have good memories of my time there as a teenager learning the game.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Gold Creek Country Club - the owners are now proposing to close the back 9 and infill. This will be somewhat unpopular to the rows of $2-3m houses that had golf course frontage, looking over to the Brindabella mountains 20k away. I suspect its an ambit claim to eventually settle to 'meeting community expectations and desires' and instead get approval to redevelop the driving range and 3 now closed practice holes.

Yowani Country Club - Development application approval signs to lose 20% of their available land and build a more compact, shorter course with a relocated clubhouse. Not sure where they will fit it in but the club is heading towards insolvency without it.
    Almost 5 years on...

Gold Creek made a profit last year, much to the owners disappointment. The redevelopment proposal was parked after Millionaires row put together a fighting fund and the owners backed down.

The Yowani sell off and rebuild is still going through DA approval. I have seen plans for the new course, and its 'compact'. They are not concerned with holding off building the apartments and townhouses, as we seem to have an over supply of high density in the pipeline at the moment, and not much is selling.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

I have seen plans for the new course, and its 'compact'.
    Is it even possible for Yowani to get any more "compact"? lol
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    Is it even possible for Yowani to get any more "compact"? lol
    Imagine 18 holes, where everything east of the floodway is redeveloped. Its going to make Howlong look spacious.

Chopperlink

WITB

Arundel rumours:
    prior to the Golf Club being placed into receivership by the owner of the land (who is themselves), the property had already been sold with settlement to take place around Sept/Oct subject to certain conditions > assume that would be something to do with the ability to develop the land. That affirms the word on the street that surveyors were seen running about on the course.

The members have been offered a return on membership fees at about 20c in a dollar - a token effort to deflect lawsuits against the directors.

there is no chance the councillors would vote to allow the golf course land to be rezoned from recreational use. a couple have mentioned in FB etc that they dont know of a single councillor that would support it.

IMO there would be no shortage of buyers wanting to continue to run a golf course here.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

“Another story in the Gold Coast Bulletin today regarding the Arundel Hills Country Club site.

The story outlines that the prospective developers from Melbourne - Dale Carroll, Steven Kleytman, and Andrew Barbayannis are in the process of buying the 67ha site. And confirming as I previously advised that the sale settlement has been pushed back to 1/3/23.

A couple of new pieces of information are contained in the story:
    " the buyer group had paid a “very substantial non-refundable deposit” when they signed the contract of sale."

"Mr Carroll said final plans for the site would be lodged with Gold Coast City Council by the end of this month. He said the property’s waterways, trees and wildlife habitats would be retained, while adding a “little bit of residential." - I can confirm that no Development Application has yet to be received by Council. When such an application is received, residents will be informed of this.

"The club house and property is now available to lease for a minimum period of six months, subject to conditions". I have reached out to the sales agent and gentlemen in Melbourne to understand the intent of this and what these conditions may be. When I get a response, I will update in the comments. *Update: They confirmed today that a short term lease is available over the buildings only; not the green space.

Councils position/communication regarding the site is abundantly clear and that has been communicated to the purchasers by officers. The site is zoned as Sport and Recreation (there is Mayoral statement on my page regard the implications of this).”

Above is from a Facebook post about Arundel. From what I can tell the buyers have no intention of having a golf course. They want minimum parks/green space area and as much residential as they can get.

Thanks found Ryans FB page for that https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...47755&sfnsn=mo Developers are either insane, or they think that they can convince council by donating a large chunk like 80% for open space.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 8th September 2022 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Thanks found Ryans FB page for that https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...47755&sfnsn=mo Developers are either insane, or they think that they can convince council by donating a large chunk like 80% for open space.
    Yep, he actually posts good information about it and answers any questions he can.Council & public are clearly against anything other than green space. But I agree, developers must think they can convince council otherwise.There’s constant media stories about the housing shortage & rental crisis on the GC, so maybe the developers do have an outside chance at getting as much residential in there as they can.It does sound like it’s the end of the golf course though.

I see he reports the first informal meeting with council and planners the developer was told no hope for their plan, so obviously will come back with something lighter. I guess condo's all around the clubhouse hub and the rest of the course donated to kangaroos.

Thats 3 member courses ( not inc the merrimac farm)around here gone in 10 years with none on the drawing board. No new course built here since early 90's. Its possible that its the right balance now, but woth most clubs having full memberships and we are the fastest growing region, thats going to result in higher golf costs for all, coming soon i expect
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Canberras cheapest, most public golf course Capital is closing in the next month or so. Canberra doesn't have any council run courses as such, so this was the first step for getting into golf for many where you could just turn up and play almost any day of the week.

In the 80s, it was cheap and cheerful and always in magic condition. A rebuild in about 1990 saw the highest quarter of the land sold for housing, and a shorter, more compressed but generally better layout completed.

The club struggled with someone to run the clubhouse, going through many sets of hands. Course condition deteriorated every year as there was less money to play with. In 2014, the Golf Club as such was wound up and the course relied on the private owner, a millionaire property developer who was bought the land as a future investment, with the only income being green fee players to pay its way. I played there about 12/18 month ago and was extremely disappointed in the condition, and noted new developments built to the boundary had seen two holes shortened dramatically.

I won't be sad to see it go, but its one of the majority of courses that are struggling to keep afloat or afford the continual improvements and maintenance required.

Seeya Crapital, I will always have good memories of my time there as a teenager learning the game.
    Isn't the owner a lady who is married to the guy that owns the driving range across the street?

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Isn't the owner a lady who is married to the guy that owns the driving range across the street?
    Mrs Liangis is one of Canberras wealthiest property developers. She holds the lease on the land that Capital sits on, as well as the lease on the land that Pitch and Putt/Driving Range/Petes golf connection/Abode Hotel are now on. Being leased land, its going to be a challenge to get approval for the change of purpose, as its not on a public transport key route.

Peter Kohlsdorf owns Petes and has been trying to sell out for years. He also manages the pitch and putt and range, and used to run the proshop at Capital - no idea what its status is now though.

Chopperlink

WITB

Here we go again. Sanctuary Cove seems to be proposing to build units on the Palms golf course land https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...2e66ac38a4e8f0

Paywall article, so i cant read it either

Bid to build apartments on Sanctuary Cove golf course riles residents A battle has erupted over plans to turn an iconic Gold Coast resort into a ‘high-density’ housing estate with hundreds of protesters making their feelings known
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 3rd October 2022 at 08:27 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Here we go again. Sanctuary Cove seems to be proposing to build units on the Palms golf course land https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...2e66ac38a4e8f0

Paywall article, so i cant read it either
    A residents’ revolt has erupted at the exclusive Sanctuary Cove, with fury over plans to carve up one of its two golf courses to make way for dozens of apartments.

The iconic Gold Coast resort has become a battleground as residents fight what they say is a “disgraceful” attempt to turn Sanctuary Cove into a “high-density” housing estate.
    “Save The Cove” signs have gone up throughout the upmarket riverfront enclave and hundreds of protest letters have been sent to Planning Minister Steven Miles as he considers a proposed rezoning to allow a swath of new apartments.
    They include a four-storey block on The Palms golf course putting and chipping green and more apartments and a recreation centre on the 18th fairway.
    Dozens more apartments are planned for The Village retail and restaurant precinct.

The residential concept of the proposed apartments at Sanctuary Cove.
    Residents said developer Mulpha was reaching the end of its land bank and was now trying to squeeze more profits by building far more dwellings than the 2000 designated in the original Sanctuary Cove Resort Act.
    “The serious concern is that they’re building residential accommodation in non-residential zones and it will open the floodgates to unlimited residential development,” one long-time Sanctuary Cove resident said.
    “It will give them (Mulpha) a huge foot in the door for apartments on the golf course and change the whole nature of Sanctuary Cove.
    “Sanctuary Cove is iconic and this kind of high-density development is not what we moved here for. It’s disgraceful.”
    David Burrell, who has lived at Sanctuary Cove for 10 years overlooking The Palms golf course, said: “They’re turning Sanctuary Cove into Surfers Paradise.”
    “The whole thing’s just basically greed,” he said.
    “Mulpha has done pretty well out of the place and now they want to keep on going.”
    Long-time Sanctuary Cove resident Margi Sherman, who publishes a community newsletter, said the new apartments would not fall under the principal body corporate and their owners would be “freeloading” on existing residents who paid millions in fees.

An aerial view of the proposed apartments at Sanctuary Cove.
    She said the proposed new development was at odds with then-Planning Minister Stirling Hinchliffe’s pledge to state parliament in 2009 to “restrict residential development to residential zones” at Sanctuary Cove and keep the 2000-dwelling limit.
    Mulpha development director Barry Teeling said the company had been a “custodian” of Sanctuary Cove for more than two decades and “was committed to working closely with residents and the community on the resort’s future”.
    He said the Sanctuary Cove Golf Club had offered Mulpha land to develop so it could reinvest in the golf course “to maintain these facilities to world-class standards”.
    “As part of due process, Mulpha is in consultation with the golf club, the state government and the wider community about the future of this land,” Mr Teeling said.
    “We appreciate the sensitivity surrounding such consultation and fears of certain residents, in particular to dwelling numbers.
    “We note that there is a cap of 1823 dwellings within the residential zones of Sanctuary Cove and that it is not Mulpha’s intention to alter this covenant that is enshrined in the Sanctuary Cove Resort Act.”
    A spokeswoman for Mr Miles said the state planning department was “actively considering” a rezoning application for Sanctuary Cove submitted in July.
    She said Mr Miles had received 385 public submissions on the application but had yet to receive a recommendation from the department.

Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Does anyone know how the Club and courses are going? Not that that matters much when it comes to developers. Just wondering.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Thanks. Reading between the lines, no part of the golf course is being developed, the golf club already owns its golf course land, since over 10 years ago when Palms was rebuilt.

This proposal seems to be high density dwellings around the old golf course and alongside the former 18th ( par 5 with all the palm trees) i guess thats the driving range. That images shows proppsed units on the practice putting green only

There is a paywalled story earlier this year, that the Golf club sold undeveloped land to the Mulpha. They also sold the old clubhouse, i guess to Mulpha.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 4th October 2022 at 07:41 AM.

Still no action on Arundel GC, course is in a shambles with greens covered in 4 foot tall weeds, settlement for the sale is due end of March from memory.

But, Super Cheap Auto filmed a commercial there with stunt drivers tearing up the 18th fairway and 11 green. This was filmed about 3 months ago, hilarious.

https://youtu.be/tlMT1-h-1jg

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Better than 90% of the content of Netflix and with no guys kissing.

Member Club Pro

On a good note, appears 'Royal' Burnley Melbourne's forgotten close to the city course is getting a reno, with Crafter and Mogford getting the gig and the council signing off on it. Part of it is due to safety issues, but there appears to be also drainage improvements along with wholesale hole changes.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Still no action on Arundel GC, course is in a shambles with greens covered in 4 foot tall weeds, settlement for the sale is due end of March from memory.

But, Super Cheap Auto filmed a commercial there with stunt drivers tearing up the 18th fairway and 11 green. This was filmed about 3 months ago, hilarious.

Clearly some of the course has been mowed, at least a little while ago!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

They only mowed the 18th and thats just once in 8 months.

There is someone renting the place, i think doing weddings and building glamping pods in the maintenance shed, which fueled all sorts of stupid gossip and whining from local nannies.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Do you think this gets to a point where it becomes too expensive to revive the golf course mTb? It just drags on and they just turn what was the golf course into general park land.

Kooralbyn was revived after 5 or more years.

FWIW "they" cant just turn it into parkland, because thats expensive to maintain, and land tax is expensive for unutilised land. (thats why there are cows on a paddock in the middle of gold coast - to avoid the tax)

If the developers cant get a deal done with council ( imo thats the likely outcome) they will sell it. And as the course has deteriorated, and developer value is zero, someone will pick it up for a song.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 21st February 2023 at 09:12 PM.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

If the developers cant get a deal done with council ( imo thats the likely outcome) they will sell it. And as the course has deteriorated, and developer value is zero, someone will pick it up for a song.
    Ozgolf group buy ????

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Ozgolf group buy ????
    Christ, could you imagine the Arki discussions between us all about any hole design changes!?!?
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thread Information