Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pennant

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Ok.. noted...

Just got my team uniform...
    We going budgie yellow .... i look more like banana in pajama.. so I bought a black jumper as well
    I love my old pennant shirts.

Strangely enough, I never kept any of my 3 yellow Hartfield jerseys.

Terrible.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Other match?

You play pennant in 4's!?!?

You poor bastard.
    Yep

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Our team had a 4.5 - 0.5 win. I managed a square.

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Pennant

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post

You’re having a Dustin Martin type year!

Champ

Edit: Dusty’s 2017

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Congrats. Gold medals all round.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Well... wet windy morning but lucky the weather turned good when we teed off.
    Played Gosnells against an old fella getting 6 strokes.
    Can't putt for shit. Ended at 5 down with 5 holes to go. Ended with 3 down on the last 2 holes.

Team won 3 wins 1 draw.

Need more work on my putting

Guy I played with did chip in for an eagle on a short par 4. Expect the unexpected right?

Congrats Shazza,awesome result

Well... wet windy morning but lucky the weather turned good when we teed off.
    Played Gosnells against an old fella getting 6 strokes.
    Can't putt for shit. Ended at 5 down with 5 holes to go. Ended with 3 down on the last 2 holes.

Team won 3 wins 1 draw.

Need more work on my putting

Guy I played with did chip in for an eagle on a short par 4. Expect the unexpected right?
    Always hard when giving away shots,more so in pennant as they seem to concentrate more.

First match down and heaps to learn from

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Great to hear, Shaz. Congratulations! Shandies all round!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Always hard when giving away shots,more so in pennant as they seem to concentrate more.First match down and heaps to learn from
    Haha... in this case he was the one who gave me 6 strokes I was playing the opponent instead of the course. I kept thinking "he missed the green to left....all I need to do is chip on 2 putts" then I duff 2 chipsOr "I need to 2 putt this to win...." then I 3 putted.Mental game is off today with my putting

Haha... in this case he was the one who gave me 6 strokes I was playing the opponent instead of the course. I kept thinking "he missed the green to left....all I need to do is chip on 2 putts" then I duff 2 chipsOr "I need to 2 putt this to win...." then I 3 putted.Mental game is off today with my putting
    I dont think your mental game was off,just your strategy.If you went in with an open mind to learning for the first season and playing a new format against seasoned players is always going to be a struggle.I think I was very lucky in my first season,3 wins 2 losses and a half.I saw some of my team members who have loads more experiance struggle more than me.That is not to say they didnt play well,they just didnt play good golf.A poor decision on club selection,not thinking to attack the pin,playing safe,this is pennant and its time to stop thinking about the score and start thinking what you need to do to win,because that is exactly what your opponent is doing.Apply pressure when you can,be aggressive at the pin and make sure you celebrate your good shots.

Yeah the old fella was sort of giving me some advise on the last 2 holes after we finished the match.

One of them was about me asking him to tend the flag while his ball was sort of inline with mine... so I gave him a good read of the putt.

Well had my first win after a lost and a draw in previous games...*yay!*

however, I do have a questions about giving strokes.... I know the first 2 games I played I was getting strokes, so I was the one that took the initiative to mention I had a stroke either before or after each hole when we count strokes.... my opponent also seemed to also kept track of it... all good...

However, during the last match, i had to give a stroke to my opponent on the 10th... first drive went right and got lost in the middle of the driving range, provisional drive landed left, 4th shot went short of green, lucky pitch and holed it for a bogey.
    my opponent was 3 by the left green bunker, after my hole out, he duffed his sand and on for 5 with about 10m of putt; still have a putt to square the hole. He got flustered and just told me I have the hole... doubled checked with him if I were to pick up his ball while he was raking the bunker, and he confirmed again.

A few holes later, his team mate behind us came up and asked us about which holes they suppose to get strokes on... seemed like some of them got confused as the card is organised by holes with index under it, while other courses had organised the cards by indexes and holes under it. (I was pretty confused myself before) so his team mate thought he had a stroke in the wrong hole, and my opponent "forgot" he had a stroke and made a comment he could have had a putt to square the hole.

So the question is....
    Am i responsible to remind my opponent that I have to give him strokes before/after the hole, or is this part of the self managed strategy? our team captain would have a chat with us before game to go through which holes we had to give/get strokes
    I also understand when a player concede a hole, I should just take it and move on, but kind of feel bad I should have reminded him?

side note: the guy I've played with has played in previous pennant seasons.... so not inexperien

however, I do have a questions about giving strokes.... I know the first 2 games I played I was getting strokes, so I was the one that took the initiative to mention I had a stroke either before or after each hole when we count strokes.... my opponent also seemed to also kept track of it... all good...

However, during the last match, i had to give a stroke to my opponent on the 10th... first drive went right and got lost in the middle of the driving range, provisional drive landed left, 4th shot went short of green, lucky pitch and holed it for a bogey.
    my opponent was 3 by the left green bunker, after my hole out, he duffed his sand and on for 5 with about 10m of putt; still have a putt to square the hole. He got flustered and just told me I have the hole... doubled checked with him if I were to pick up his ball while he was raking the bunker, and he confirmed again.

A few holes later, his team mate behind us came up and asked us about which holes they suppose to get strokes on... seemed like some of them got confused as the card is organised by holes with index under it, while other courses had organised the cards by indexes and holes under it. (I was pretty confused myself before) so his team mate thought he had a stroke in the wrong hole, and my opponent "forgot" he had a stroke and made a comment he could have had a putt to square the hole.

So the question is....
    Am i responsible to remind my opponent that I have to give him strokes before/after the hole, or is this part of the self managed strategy? our team captain would have a chat with us before game to go through which holes we had to give/get strokes
    I also understand when a player concede a hole, I should just take it and move on, but kind of feel bad I should have reminded him?

side note: the guy I've played with has played in previous pennant seasons.... so not inexperien
    You are not under any obligation to advise where shots are given. You can certainly be courteous and do it like you have been, but it's each player's responsibility to know where they're being given / taken.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

So the question is....

Others might be able to confirm this but I understand the Matchplay index should be the same regardless of what course u play.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Others might be able to confirm this but I understand the Matchplay index should be the same regardless of what course u play.
    Not entirely true. Most courses use the standard matchplay index which is purely designed to spread the shots around evenly. However some courses choose to adopt their own match index if the standard one doesn't suit.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    That is correct mr b , some clubs don’t print it on the card tho , only the stroke index and some clubs use the stroke index for matchplay for various reasons .

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Not entirely true. Most courses use the standard matchplay index which is purely designed to spread the shots around evenly. However some courses choose to adopt their own match index if the standard one doesn't suit.
    Correct!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Wouldn’t the index only be required for pennants?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    Wouldn’t the index only be required for pennants?
    There's no such thing as pennants...
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    There's no such thing as pennants...
    Not that old chestnut again

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Not that old chestnut again
    Had to be done.
    GolfMap

Well played my past pennant game for the year as I have to fly out tonight for a week and miss the last game.

Close game today with a win at 1up. Was 3 up on the 14th hole and dropped the next 3 holes.

But managed to get the win. Team lost though so we are now unable to get on top next week.

Overall... good fun and was glade I did try it this year. Look forward to next year

Thread Information