Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    One of the big problems with golf is that it takes a lot of time. Lots of time to play and lots of practice if you want to get good at it. Handicaps out to 54 will increase round times. Awesome.
    Increase round times by how much?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Why will higher handicaps increase round times?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Why will higher handicaps increase round times?
    15 seconds to execute a shot = another 10-12 minutes for each 54 handicapper over a A/B grader.

But it is the extra time looking for more wayward golf balls, failed water/bunker carries and generally walking pace (54 markers are less likely to be fit enough to maintain a reasonable pace for 10km).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

GA spent heaps on a slow play survey / education process and now they are implementing something that could and probably will slow play down . There will be another agenda to this , maybe allowing free movement of elite players between countries ( more junkets to look after them ? )
    These golf sites / forums all have threads complaining about slow play , getting caught behind social players etc etc , these are the people being encourage to join clubs unfettered . Everybody and I mean everybody complains when they get caught behind the worst of these guys and it’s the first excuse put up when you question someone about slow play “ oh we got caught behind social players “.
    It also seems to me that golf clubs will have to process social rounds for handicaps , I can see this leading to the demise of comp golf , a lot of clubs take 25 to 30 % of comp fees into general revenue .players pull out of the comp demand a time slot because they are paid up members throw $10 in each winner takes all , put the card in for processing , too easy legit handicap and same fun with usual playing partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    GA spent heaps on a slow play survey / education process and now they are implementing something that could and probably will slow play down . There will be another agenda to this , maybe allowing free movement of elite players between countries ( more junkets to look after them ? )
    These golf sites / forums all have threads complaining about slow play , getting caught behind social players etc etc , these are the people being encourage to join clubs unfettered . Everybody and I mean everybody complains when they get caught behind the worst of these guys and it’s the first excuse put up when you question someone about slow play “ oh we got caught behind social players “.
    It also seems to me that golf clubs will have to process social rounds for handicaps , I can see this leading to the demise of comp golf , a lot of clubs take 25 to 30 % of comp fees into general revenue .players pull out of the comp demand a time slot because they are paid up members throw $10 in each winner takes all , put the card in for processing , too easy legit handicap and same fun with usual playing partners.
    Lots of talk of slow play. Didn't you get annoyed when someone complained about you taking 4.5 hours because that's pretty quick?

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

GA spent heaps on a slow play survey / education process and now they are implementing something that could and probably will slow play down . There will be another agenda to this , maybe allowing free movement of elite players between countries ( more junkets to look after them ? )These golf sites / forums all have threads complaining about slow play , getting caught behind social players etc etc , these are the people being encourage to join clubs unfettered . Everybody and I mean everybody complains when they get caught behind the worst of these guys and it’s the first excuse put up when you question someone about slow play “ oh we got caught behind social players “.It also seems to me that golf clubs will have to process social rounds for handicaps , I can see this leading to the demise of comp golf , a lot of clubs take 25 to 30 % of comp fees into general revenue .players pull out of the comp demand a time slot because they are paid up members throw $10 in each winner takes all , put the card in for processing , too easy legit handicap and same fun with usual playing partners.
    You might be better suited over at iseekgolf?

Blog Entries

Slow play is not only due to social players, or high handicappers. At my club it is mainly due to people not giving a shit when they get behind, and being ignorant of where they are in the field. Was there any noticeable increase in round times when the mens' handicap max went to 36? At the moment the effects of the handicap change are yet to be seen as it has not been implemented.

The comp golf thing appears to be unique to Australia (from what I can gather). You could be right on that call. Although I imagine that will take time, it is ingrained in our golfing culture.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Lots of talk of slow play. Didn't you get annoyed when someone complained about you taking 4.5 hours because that's pretty quick?
    You are correct I got very grumpy about it , 4.5 hrs was considered ok for a stroke round , they thought we were way slower than that , but backed off when informed of our tee off time . The annoyance came from the fact they actually slowed us down by pressuring everybody because we all started playing worse .

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Slow play isn't limited to high handicappers, and I know quite a few seriously crap golfers who regularly get around my course in under four hours. Sign up as many choppers as you can, the clubs need their money and we can all enjoy laughing at them.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Also proves my point no one in that four had a 30 + cap and we had to work hard to finish in 4.5 hrs , two of the guys were have an ordinary day , but neither shot 120 + , put a 54 cap in there and having a good day he is still shooting 120 + ,guaranteed 5 hr round .

54 is no different to 36

Edit:

I feel the need to point out this should be taken figurativey, not literally.

Warragul regularly do 4 hr rounds , lots of old blokes lots of high caps , lots of golf carts . Good attitude towards keep moving . “A “ graders only make up 10% of the field .

54 is no different to 36Edit:I feel the need to point out this should be taken figurativey, not literally.
    27 was the max cap when I started and in stableford you only got 7/8 ths of it . Then it went to 36 but you only got 27 in MMedals . Now it’s 36 and we are talking 54 . Membership boomed in the first parts and is now in decline.Suggests caps may have very little to do with membership no’s , that relaxing cap limits could do more harm than good .

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Now that’s a low blow

Now that’s a low blow
    Why’s that?

Blog Entries

Warragul regularly do 4 hr rounds , lots of old blokes lots of high caps , lots of golf carts . Good attitude towards keep moving . “A “ graders only make up 10% of the field .
    27 was the max cap when I started and in stableford you only got 7/8 ths of it . Then it went to 36 but you only got 27 in MMedals . Now it’s 36 and we are talking 54 . Membership boomed in the first parts and is now in decline.Suggests caps may have very little to do with membership no’s , that relaxing cap limits could do more harm than good .
    So far the only evidence you have tendered is that lots of blokes, lots of high caps still manage to have 4 hour rounds due to good attitude. Which argues against all your other arguments.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Lets not say things that we can't take back...

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
    Lets not say things that we can't take back...
    I won’t take it back, just stating what I think..

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    So far the only evidence you have tendered is that lots of blokes, lots of high caps still manage to have 4 hour rounds due to good attitude. Which argues against all your other arguments.
    U missed in carts , none of them play off 36 lots of 80 yr old + guys still playing off 20’s caps . Allowing genuine 54 cap players into comp golf will be detrimental because they won’t keep up , a seven year old could hold a 54 cap , I see plenty of dads struggling with kids on a social round , do you really want them in your group . More than happy for them to play as soon as they can play to 29 cap before you ask
    Last edited by Grumpy8; 23rd February 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Now that’s a low blow
    I thought iseekgolf was a dirty word around here

I won’t take it back, just stating what I think..
    Funny so am I re 54 as the new 36 .Don’t expect nor am I asking for it to be retracted.GA bashing is common on the other site .

I know a stack of blokes who play quicker having 120 off the bat than other guys having 75.

Handicap does not equal pace of play, period.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I know a stack of blokes who play quicker having 120 off the bat than other guys having 75.

And if I tie his legs together, I can run faster than Usain Bolt.

Maybe we need a 9 hole cut. If you don't finish within 120 mins from teeing off, then you can't play the second nine.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

I completely agree Lefty. The new R&A rules due to be inplace in 2020 are designed to help with pace of play, the handicapping system basically has nothing to do with it.
    I know of players off 0-3 that are the slow and also 30 markers that are quick

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Maybe we need a 9 hole cut. If you don't finish within 120 mins from teeing off, then you can't play the second nine.
    That would cut out 70% of the field at most clubs Dotty, you will do anything to win wont you ??

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

Thread Information