Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Hello from Port Lincoln

Hello there.

I signed up a while ago but usually just lurk. I have a few questions to ask about swinging a golf club so I thought I better introduce myself first. Also I need to put a wanted ad in the classifieds because I bought my dad some clubs as a retirement present and the TM driver shaft is snapped in twain, so I need to find another one cheapish.

I have been trying to learn golf for 13 weeks. There is no instructor near where I live so I had to teach myself. I read lots of books and thought I was doing okay but then I took a video. Oh my god. Anyway I have resolved some pretty serious issues McGuyver style using some garden stakes, paddle pop sticks, ebay laser pointer etc. and lots of video. I think I have my swing to a point where I can actually just try and groove it in and gradually patch things I'm not happy with. Prior to this I would deliberately come home and break my swing just to make sure I didn't get into bad habits.

I also use a hitting net with a homemade divot action hitting mat, but to be honest I don't think hitting a ball is necessary for learning a lot of what you need to learn, in fact I think it gets in the way a little bit, but I guess I better get used to it being there!

I played my first comp last night. I was happy to get out there and do it, unhappy with my short game and putting (which I've been practising a fair bit) and ultimately very happy with my long game at this stage of proceedings. Met some nice people.

I have had some good scores in my practice rounds (9 over after 9 holes) and also some really bad scores (no comment), the good scores have all been the result of good short game and putting and adequate long game. I think learning on the actual course is conducive to good scoring early, because I can bounce a three hybrid out from under trees and down the fairway a hundred something metres without thinking about it, so driving off line a bit doesn't really bother me too much.

I volunteer to help install the irrigation system at my local course and also I am on my way to becoming a PGA certified Community Golf Instructor can you believe that! I don't know who would ask me to teach them though .

Senior Member Major Winner

Now that’s an intro. G’day Leezee.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Welcome aboard, Leezee. Congrats on getting the first comp under the belt. It can be an intimidating experience..
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Thanks guys.

Yeah it was pretty full on, I was getting pretty nervous but in the end I decided all I wanted to do was have fun and hit a few good shots. I achieved both of those things and actually looking forward to the next one now.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome lee
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Welcome
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Welcome, do you know Dean Lukin..........he's been to LA

Welcome Lee.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

I don't know Dean Lukin but I think the Lukins still live around here and in the fishing business still.

Now that we have statue of Makybe no one cares about Dean! But then again she wasn't even from here, nor has she ever been here, so I dunno what's going on.

Thread Information