Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Afl 2018

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Atrocious decision. Especially given the two you’ve quoted.
    Not enough or too many?
    I don’t remember the Solomon one?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Not enough or too many?
    One was a Swans guy hitting an Eagles guy = Good vs Evil. 7 weeks seems too much.
    The other was an Eagles guy attempting murder = 8 weeks. Not enough.

8 weeks for Gaff. Equal most amount of games with Dean Solomon.
    1 more than the Barry Hall one.
    Not true. Alastair Lynch was given 10 weeks for not landing a punch on Darryl Wakelin.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Member Monthly medal winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Not true. Alastair Lynch was given 10 weeks for not landing a punch on Darryl Wakelin.
    Lynch's was 3 separate incidents totaling to 10 where as Gaffs was the single 1. I think Lynch was a bit hard done by, seeing it was only a Port player he attempted to strike.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Hall was actually 10 weeks but got a reduction by pleading guilty iirc

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Not enough or too many?
    I don’t actually have an issue with the number, I take issue with the comparisons and also the fact it took less than 14 minutes for a decision to be made.

Why have a tribunal if they’ve already got a number in their head?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOPHEAD View Post
    Lynch's was 3 separate incidents totaling to 10 where as Gaffs was the single 1. I think Lynch was a bit hard done by, seeing it was only a Port player he attempted to strike.
    Lynch’s also didn’t mean anything as he was retiring after that game anyway! The tribunal only gave him the big penalty to show their strength and to send the message that they would not condone that behaviour.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

I don’t actually have an issue with the number, I take issue with the comparisons and also the fact it took less than 14 minutes for a decision to be made.

People still go to court if they murder someone, hand themselves in covered in blood and sign a written confession. Processes are followed even if they seem redundant, and this was a formality considering it was fairly indefensible.

Unless he wanted to try out the Simpsons Defence: "I was just swinging my arms like this *swings arms* and it's not my fault his face got in the way."

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I'll assume you are trolling. 8 weeks seems about right to me considering NicNat got suspended for a good tackle earlier this year.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

So if he'd have actually punched him in the chest he wouldn't have gotten suspended?

Buncha weirdos.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    One was a Swans guy hitting an Eagles guy = Good vs Evil. 7 weeks seems too much.
    The other was an Eagles guy attempting murder = 8 weeks. Not enough.
    you really think the eagles guy was trying to murder another player...

ya know people are crucifying Gaff for what he has done. no one is condoning what he did.. however there is 2 incidents in the past that are very same situations as gaff. 2 of these players are now highly respected players of the game and 1 of them is a senior coach in the afl

Leigh Matthews 1985 whacks Neville Bruns and breaking the Jaw and teeth go missing

Assult charges was laid and matthews was convicted and copped a $1000 buck fine which turned into 12 months good behaviour bond. Afl took his playing permit of him for a month as well copped 3 games

Alistair Clarkson 1987 whacks Ian Aitkins in a exhibition match in london and now known as the battle of brittain Clarkson whacked Aitkins in the jaw, shatterring aitkins jaw and teeth was lost. Clarkson 4 game suspension.....

Ok these incidents are from the past and rules have changed so much.. but they are relevent as they was the same thing That Gaff did....in fact the 2 cases i have mentioned are far worse then Andrew Gaffs incident, why as Matthews and Clarkson king hits both cuased Melee's

the other thing is Matthews and Clarkson werent clean skins at the time and have visted the tribunal on other occasions where as Gaff in over 170 odd games of Afl has never had a blemmish to his name

Gaffs incident is a nasty one no doubt about it. intentional reckless unacceptable yes... if Gaff didnt take the path he did in which he would have been advised to go that path by his club and lawyers and pleaded guilty and took full responsibility Gaff would have got less....

Andrew Gaff is not a thug of the game. he showed remorse, he knows it was a bad thing , Mark & Deb Brayshaw, Andraw Brayshaws father and mother have forgiven Andrew Gaff and are also asking people to do the same and dont condem Gaff for his only blemish. they will not forget what has happened but the is difference between forgetting and forgiving....

Gaff has learned a valuable lesson in all this, and i am sure Gaff will not want to do that ever again.

Gaff was at the high end of this report of 8-12 games and would have recieved 12 games if it wasnt for his good record before the incident...

at the end of the day Gaff has copped 8 games and he still has other ramifacations to come from this that we wont even hear about

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

So they made, in your mind, the right decision but took too short an amount of time to come up with it? FFS, most people can have a discussion and make a decision in 14 minutes! Are you a tradie? If you are it would explain it, those pricks can't do anything in 14 minutes.

I can't do anything in 14 weeks, so as a tradie, I resemble that remark!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by ozdevil View Post
    you really think the eagles guy was trying to murder another player...

ya know people are crucifying Gaff for what he has done. no one is condoning what he did.. however there is 2 incidents in the past that are very same situations as gaff. 2 of these players are now highly respected players of the game and 1 of them is a senior coach in the afl

Leigh Matthews 1985 whacks Neville Bruns and breaking the Jaw and teeth go missing

Assult charges was laid and matthews was convicted and copped a $1000 buck fine which turned into 12 months good behaviour bond. Afl took his playing permit of him for a month as well copped 3 games

Alistair Clarkson 1987 whacks Ian Aitkins in a exhibition match in london and now known as the battle of brittain Clarkson whacked Aitkins in the jaw, shatterring aitkins jaw and teeth was lost. Clarkson 4 game suspension.....

Ok these incidents are from the past and rules have changed so much.. but they are relevent as they was the same thing That Gaff did....in fact the 2 cases i have mentioned are far worse then Andrew Gaffs incident, why as Matthews and Clarkson king hits both cuased Melee's

the other thing is Matthews and Clarkson werent clean skins at the time and have visted the tribunal on other occasions where as Gaff in over 170 odd games of Afl has never had a blemmish to his name

Gaffs incident is a nasty one no doubt about it. intentional reckless unacceptable yes... if Gaff didnt take the path he did in which he would have been advised to go that path by his club and lawyers and pleaded guilty and took full responsibility Gaff would have got less....

Andrew Gaff is not a thug of the game. he showed remorse, he knows it was a bad thing , Mark & Deb Brayshaw, Andraw Brayshaws father and mother have forgiven Andrew Gaff and are also asking people to do the same and dont condem Gaff for his only blemish. they will not forget what has happened but the is difference between forgetting and forgiving....

Gaff has learned a valuable lesson in all this, and i am sure Gaff will not want to do that ever again.

Gaff was at the high end of this report of 8-12 games and would have recieved 12 games if it wasnt for his good record before the incident...

at the end of the day Gaff has copped 8 games and he still has other ramifacations to come from this that we wont even hear about
    Wasn’t Matthews conviction overturned on appeal?

Gaff did plead guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    So they made, in your mind, the right decision but took too short an amount of time to come up with it? FFS, most people can have a discussion and make a decision in 14 minutes! Are you a tradie? If you are it would explain it, those pricks can't do anything in 14 minutes.
    Sounds like an efficiently run meeting to me.

Blog Entries

Incredibly classist. Are you actually a right wing neo liberal?

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Wasn’t Matthews conviction overturned on appeal?

Gaff did plead guilty.
    Matthews conviction was overturned on appeal but still copped a good behaviour bond instead.. still served his 7 week outage which was 4 weeks playing permit and 3 game suspension, might as well say 7 game suspension

yes gaff did plead guilty. I believe if he just pleaded and threw himself to the tribunal hands , it would not have gone 2-3 hours and he may have still copped 8 weeks but reduced to 6-7 weeks due to his good record. but choose to go the path he did he got the low end of the 8-12 for the offence..

Default Afl 2018

Quote Originally Posted by ozdevil View Post
    Matthews conviction was overturned on appeal but still copped a good behaviour bond instead.. still served his 7 week outage which was 4 weeks playing permit and 3 game suspension, might as well say 7 game suspension

yes gaff did plead guilty. I believe if he just pleaded and threw himself to the tribunal hands , it would not have gone 2-3 hours and he may have still copped 8 weeks but reduced to 6-7 weeks due to his good record. but choose to go the path he did he got the low end of the 8-12 for the offence..
    Are you sure Matthews missed 7?

And I’m happy to give a QC the benefit of the doubt about how to handle the case.

Might have got less if he announced he was leaving beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Incredibly classist. Are you actually a right wing neo liberal?
    Hardly. I almost wish I did a trade so I could be overpaid and under worked. I'm sure there are good tradies around, I'm just yet to see one in action.

Blog Entries

Hardly. I almost wish I did a trade so I could be overpaid and under worked. I'm sure there are good tradies around, I'm just yet to see one in action.
    Posting on a golf forum during business hours, to discuss football. Work must be flat chat.Maybe if you came down from your ivory tower now and then you would meet these mythical beasts. Although the tower was probably built by tradies so isn't done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Posting on a golf forum during business hours, to discuss football. Work must be flat chat.Maybe if you came down from your ivory tower now and then you would meet these mythical beasts. Although the tower was probably built by tradies so isn't done yet.
    I'm on leave, dipshit. Careful on the dismount from your high horse.

Blog Entries

I'm on leave, dipshit. Careful on the dismount from your high horse.
    So quick to resort to petty name calling, clasic fascist move.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Don’t ruin our discussion on this attempted murder, you two.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Are you sure Matthews missed 7?

And I’m happy to give a QC the benefit of the doubt about how to handle the case.
    the Vfl/afl as it was back then, took away Matthews playing permit for 4 weeks with a further 3 game suspension thats on top of his charges that was overturned on a bond to be 12 months good behaviour bond....i dont mind being corrected if i am wrong... 1985 is long time ago

dont get me wrong i am not going to knock a qc benifit of the doubt either if they think it was the best way to handle it

Thread Information