Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Interesting video on how to play within your skill level for better scores

This video reminds me of how I used to play as a kid, with my driver and FW woods being my weakest link by getting me in trouble, I sort of developed a game plan for my local course to use nothing but my iron except for one or two holes. And I did managed to score pretty well in most games, but these was only during summer holidays, and no golf when i come back to Australia to study... so never really found out how I could improve my game further.

whats your opinion on this approach, and how do you think someone can improve their game in the future?

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good if your happy playing bogey golf or have a high handicap I suppose!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Last edited by Ferrins; 10th February 2018 at 06:43 AM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I watched one minute, and that was the enough.

To an extent, I did this is my recent round at Mt Compass. I played poorly in the first nine, so I dialled it back on the second nine. I used irons off the tee and played safe, to keep the game enjoyable and not score over 100.

Egos tend to get in the way of people playing this way.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

It’s also a fine line between playing safe and “too safe” and ending up with a poop loads of bogeys in the card and lots of missed scoring opportunities.

The battle is finding the right mix, I read the thread about how many rounds without a lost ball sometimes and wonder if some in there could score a bit better by taking some more chances. Of course they also may score worse and lose their $4 ball!

I have 2 holes that usually my "bad" holes with the first drive usually gets me in trouble.

Maybe I will give this a try on these holes to get my confidence up on them.

This approach is exactly what has gradually got my handicap down from 26 to 16. If you you want to stay at the 16-19 bogey golf range then I firmly believe that this is the most effective way of doing so. However as mentioned in a few of the comments, this approach will limit your ability to go much lower, which is what I am finding out now! It all depends on your long term goal I suppose. Personally, at 48 years old and a relative newcomer to golf, I am very conscious not to set my goals too high and my current handicap is very enjoyable for me to play off and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    It’s also a fine line between playing safe and “too safe” and ending up with a poop loads of bogeys in the card and lots of missed scoring opportunities. The battle is finding the right mix, I read the thread about how many rounds without a lost ball sometimes and wonder if some in there could score a bit better by taking some more chances. Of course they also may score worse and lose their $4 ball!
    It isn’t the $4 for the ball it’s the two shots you save , which leads to you winning more balls in the rundown which then means you don’t have to buy balls .

Thread Information