Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sleep.....

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Sleep.....

How much do you guys survive on? For a while now I've struggled to get up for early rides and swims, and in particular the last few weeks I've been lazy as and just turned my alarm off. I've even slept through some of them. Generally going through my Garmin's sleep stats and I'm averaging 6.5 hours when a bit lazy, down to less than 6 when getting up regularly.

The hard part is getting to sleep early enough. Most nights dinners only being made at 6.30 to 7, and by the time all that's done and dusted off I wanted a proper sleep I'd have to hit the sack straight away. But it's normally 10.30 to 11.30 before that happens. Makes a 3.50am wake up tough.

Thing is, I'm feeling no more rested having had a few lazy weeks now. How do any of you manage a lack of sleep?

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Sugar, caffeine, repeat.
    Short answer is you don’t. It’s shit and it catches up with you eventually.
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Hey mate try reading Daves Bag Lotto and Club Reviews straight after dinner.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Hey mate try reading Daves Bag Lotto and Club Reviews straight after dinner.
    That is pure gold.

I had to stop, was getting serious eggs on my head when it would drop and hit the benchtops!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

do you have issues with snoring?
    This could be an issue with sleep apnea, and would make it feels like you never rested even after a long night of improper sleep.

3:50 is bloody early to wake up either way. When do you start work theoretically?

I normally get about 6:30 sleep and it is not enough for me but to fit everything in something has to give. Normally asleep about 11:30 up at about 6.

When I try to get an early night (10-10:30) I inevitably wake up about 2:30 and can't get back to sleep so end up more tired.

I should clarify, it's not a "sleeping" problem, but finding enough of it, and still having a life.

T, work starts between 7 and 8, depending on when I can drag myself down there. My standard daily alarm is set for 5, but I've been sleeping through it or turning it off and not getting up till 6. Active mornings, my wake time is between 3.50 and 4.50 depending on the activity or group. This is normally 4 to 5 times a week.
    Thing is, by the time everything is sorted at night (food etc) it's like 8.30, so a couple of hours to relax and in reality I'm left with 6 hours sleep (often it's much later than that though). I used to survive on 6 hours now worries. But I'm starting to feel like I need to grandpa it up and hit the sack at like 7.30.

This getting older shit sux the big one!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Blog Entries

Another reason for daylight savings.

This also answers Toolish question about getting up at 3.50. (He goes for a pre-work bike ride, so it essentially the same as a 5am wake-up in the southern states in both summer and winter.)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

A friend of works at Woolies dispatch warehouse, and has those sort of hours... Waking up at 3:30am to get to work at 4; finish at 8....
    He naps from 2-6 before waking up and have dinner, drink till drunk and goes to bed at 10pm....

Man... I could see him falling apart over the last 4 years he has been working and living like that.... not healthy...

I've been waking up around 5:00am with golf, and pre work swim session... I find that I am falling asleep by 9pm... I can't even stay up to play games or watch TV anymore like I use to.... yeah... kinda sucks I'm sleeping grandpa time now too....

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Had about 4 hrs sleep in the last 2 days, then again I've got a shit of a flu.

I get up around 5am and arrive at work around 6 -7am, generally leave work at 8-9pm at night, 1/2 drive home then dinner. By the time I'm settled ready for night nights it is usually around 11 - 11:30 which is only giving me 5.5 - 6 hrs sleep.

Not good and think I'm getting extremely run down and stressed.

Worst part is that I think it affecting my golf.
    Last edited by wazamac; 29th January 2018 at 05:26 PM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

If I can get to sleep I get 11 pm to 5 am , I try to sleep in on weekends , think the recommendation is 3 hrs after dinner before you go to sleep . A suggestion for goughy, if you cant eat around 6 -7 . Have a big breakfast and your main meal at lunchtime and then a light snack or maybe dessert as your evening meal , you then should be able to do lights out at 10 pm or earlier . All you need then is a technique to go to sleep

+1 on the light meal
    Missus been on a no rice diet over the last few weeks.... and to be honest, with just a light dinner, I find that I can fall asleep pretty easily when I hit the bed....
    last night we had a birthday dinner, and had a pretty heavy meal... boy it was hard to go to sleep.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Have you considered moving your early morning activities to after work ones? Not only should that give you the extra hour sleep in in the morning, should also tire you out just a little more giving you the desire to go to bed earlier and falling asleep quicker.

For me, I was a 2am bed time, 8:30am riser. Start work later than most and night time is much more quiet in my house with the kids. Everyone knows sleep is important but the enjoyment in tranquil peace was too tempting to avoid.

In the last month or so I've managed to get to bed at or before midnight ever since I got a new phone that has some sort of automatic night mode that removes alot of the Blue light being emitted or something. Not one to believe in those kinds of hippy type solutions normally, but I do know I put down the phone earlier and earlier each night, and feel alot more rested the next day.

Confident there is merit in the whole avoid screen time before bed stuff for some people, maybe this setting did the same thing for me. Guessing here your downtime after dinner is filled with interwebs, tv, phone and other screens too?

Right. I have to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I go to bed,* drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when I get home, my Dad and my mother will kill me, and dance about on my grave singing 'Hallelujah.'

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The 2 mornings I do 2am start by the time kids get to bed etc I very rarely get to sleep by 9pm, so 5 hrs....then work till 12-1
    The other days prob 7 hrs max.
    Coffee is my friend and I get 2-3 freebies every day on the run....

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
    Have you considered moving your early morning activities to after work ones?
    No go. Between kids Sports, daughter's work, walking the dog and seeing customers that times already taken! Ok, at least it seems not that unusual to be surviving on it and feeling crap. I absolutely can just got the sack at 8.30 or so, but then it would be just go go go with no down time, and I don't mind spending a couple of hours with the boss.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Ialarm goes off at 3:50am, don't sleep solid toss and turn a bit. Will nod off while surfing net on lounge but, not for long .... Gym at 8:30 pm for hour, then turn in round 11-11:30. work outside all day, doesn't worry me too much.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Look into trying GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) and thank me later
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterb View Post
    Look into trying GABA (Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) and thank me later
    Calling Lobsta!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

And I think a 630am alarm sucks.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm averaging 8h4m for the last week. No problem here.

Anywhere between 5-8hrs is normal for me but mostly at the low 5-6hrs end of that scale for me.
    It’s not so much the length of time it’s the quality of that sleep that’s more important.

Up until the end of last year my sleep was a pattern of waking numerous times during sleep resulting in poor quality sleep and patches of fatigue during the day.
    October last year I decided to give Nature B Bee Pollen a try from the constant reviews on late night MMM radio. I’m a massive sceptic when it comes to media hype of products.
    Ordered the 30 day trial and can honestly say within 3-4 days changes were evident. Al of a sudden I was have 5-6hrs of continuous non interrupted sleep and felt much more alert and had energy though-out the day.
    It’s helped with general health and lack of picking up random infections as well. I’m still taking it every day now and have notice changes for the worse when I haven’t taken it for a few days when forgetting to re-stock soon enough.

If your having sleep problems I can highly recommend giving it a try.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thread Information