My unreliable memory tells me that 18 used to play as a par 5, tailor made for hero 2nd shots to a back pin with water just behind the green. But I suspect they are experimenting with the course setup in preparation for the Ryder Cup, so they are playing around with the distances of many of the holes. There was a par 4 playing 270 yesterday that was 360 the day before.

As it was, the hole was OK at a slightly shorter length to the front pin. OK for the bomber who could get 8 iron to hold from 170m, like Justin Thomas did. The back pin was the problem, where players hitting 5 iron in couldn't depend on the ball holding the green.

Marcus Kinhault needs to either change the way his name is pronounced, or needs to put an 's' in front of it, but he needs to change nothing about his game. He may falter in the last round due to his inexperience, but he clearly has the game to be a really good player. Sergio needs the win more than he does, but Marcus looked really good.

It should be great viewing tonight (or tomorrow for me, after I watch the replay).