Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default PGA Traineeship? Should i Shouldn't I?

Gday fellow golfers. New to the site and have a question right away for you all. I am considering starting a Traineeship, i am 28 years old, is this age classed as being "too old to start"?
    Does anyone here have any advice or gone through the system recently? I'm off a 4 Handicap currently (I know the game will need to improve)

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If you're after a Pro Shop job and can teach, not too late.

Otherwise, join the greens staff

Senior Member Major Winner

This was my greatest regret...

Do it!!
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnapier View Post
    Gday fellow golfers. New to the site and have a question right away for you all. I am considering starting a Traineeship, i am 28 years old, is this age classed as being "too old to start"? Does anyone here have any advice or gone through the system recently? I'm off a 4 Handicap currently (I know the game will need to improve)
    Not even worth the question, hell yes! Whats the worst thing that can happen

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    If you're after a Pro Shop job and can teach, not too late.

Otherwise, join the greens staff
    This^^^^^^^
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Blog Entries

I hope you like dealing with the members, the other staff, the general manager, the reps, the committee, the members that think they know more than the committee, the ladies committee, the sub-ccommitees, the public, the tyre-kickers and anyone that can find the fitted equipment cheaper online.

Which leaves very little time for playing your own round of golf.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Thanks for the opinions, yeah thats exactly my thoughts about it. I don't want to look back and think "I should have".
    Being new to this site I'm not too sure if this si the right place to post this? Could one of you regulars tell me if it is in the right forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Not even worth the question, hell yes! Whats the worst thing that can happen
    It doesn’t work and he ends up in a job he doesn’t like. Not much to lose really.

Go for it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the opinions, yeah thats exactly my thoughts about it. I don't want to look back and think "I should have".
    Being new to this site I'm not too sure if this si the right place to post this? Could one of you regulars tell me if it is in the right forum?
    Definitely do it.

You never want to think “I should have”.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Definitely do it. You never want to think “I should have”.
    Like after reading Nemo's posts
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Yes,Yes,Yes. If it is your passion go for it. You only live once, have no regrets.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Alan from Aussie Golf reviewer on Youtube is a school friend of mine, He finished his traineeship in 2011 so i think he would have been about 26, a little earlier but not much from what your are saying. He was married and starting a family through the whole thing and would have a good idea of whats involved and options after you have finished. Seek him out on Social Media, I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you might have.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    Alan from Aussie Golf reviewer on Youtube is a school friend of mine, He finished his traineeship in 2011 so i think he would have been about 26, a little earlier but not much from what your are saying. He was married and starting a family through the whole thing and would have a good idea of whats involved and options after you have finished. Seek him out on Social Media, I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you might have.

Alan Staines is his name, Awesome bloke,

A lot of political BS to get a decent position anywhere though

Chopper. Hasn't hit the middle of the club for years

Played a 4 man ambrose with him at Bribie a while ago...it was a choice of my drive or his most of the day.

He's a better bloke than a golfer.
    Last edited by Lagerlover; 29th November 2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Played a 4 man ambrose with him at Bribie a while ago...it was a choice of my drive or his most of the day.

He's a better bloke than a golfer.
    Very true,

Most of us are I reckon!!!!

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

I would do it for sure if I had a golf game. If you can get to a handicap of 3 or better go for it.

Cheers for the feedback. Yeah I'm currently on around 4/5, I'm guessing it will take me a bit of hard work to get down to a 2/3 and PLAYING to it consistantly.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

From memory, you only need to maintain a playing handicap of 5 once in the program over 30 rounds max per year.
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If you’ve got a good education and a trade or something to fall back on if it fails go for it.
    Nothing worse than having regrets...

Member Teaching Pro

I completed it in 2007. It is expensive (probably up to about $4,000 per year now) and time consuming. On top of your 38 hours per week obligation for shop/teaching/club tech, you have about 10 hours of academic studies + practice and playing golf (could easily be 10 hours for most).

Now that I have a young family and a mortgage, there is absolutely no way I could afford the pay cut +fees and the time I would need to set aside for academic and playing requirements. Am guessing you probably don't have such commitments to be considering doing a traineeship, but you have missed this years intake so best case you would be +4 years from now before completing your time so carefully consider your plans for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    From memory, you only need to maintain a playing handicap of 5 once in the program over 30 rounds max per year.
    The playing standard doesn't directly correlate to an equivalent playing handicap, plenty golfers I know who play off 2/3 that wouldn't pass, consistency is the key for the playing standard.

The actual requirement put simply:
    Must play a minimum of 30 rounds under approved conditions (trainee matches, pro-am's etc)
    80% of the rounds count toward average (30 rounds played would mean you count your best 24 rounds)
    Scores are adjusted against the par of the course (74 at a par 72 course would give you a +2)
    Adjusted average must be no greater than +4.75

Compare this to the current handicapping system where only 8 out of 20 rounds count you can see why it is more about consistency than being able to shoot a good score.

Thank you very much for your input Progolfgear. Yes you are correct i don't have any commitments i.e. family and mortgage at this time. Very good point regarding looking ahead towards future plans (4 years time)
    So it does seem to be a very time consuming commitment.
    Yes the consistency regarding the scores could be an issue for me as you could appreciate being a 5 marker i am more then capable of the 80s blowout score.
    Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your input Progolfgear. Yes you are correct i don't have any commitments i.e. family and mortgage at this time. Very good point regarding looking ahead towards future plans (4 years time)
    So it does seem to be a very time consuming commitment.
    Yes the consistency regarding the scores could be an issue for me as you could appreciate being a 5 marker i am more then capable of the 80s blowout score.
    Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

I like your openness to all the info being offered,

If you can maintain a 5 marker at the course or similar you are looking at going trainee, I cannot see why you could not reduce that right down if you are committed to it, Yes, long hours in pro-shop/exams etc, but if this is your current chosen journey, I would imagine you will be eating and breathing golf and practice for the 4 years you need? And who knows, maybe it will spark something in your game and you can compete at a decent pro level?

There are worse jobs out there than being on the green staff.... I mean you could be a tradie or lawyer or accountant or anything like that and pretend you know all there is to greenkeeping.....

Go for it mate it's 3 years of your life.. That's nothing

All the best in your endeavours

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Like most as you move towards retirement its the roads not travelled that cause you some discomfort. My only concern with going down a solely teaching/shop role is:

Does the old style "PGA Pro" in the pro shop model survive another 10 years, comprising lessons during the day with no Trackman equipment, very little retail etc.

I don't know the answer but I would ask the same thing about every sizeable club having a GM, a finance person and a F&B Manager

Thread Information