Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2017 S.A Champs Thank Yous and Feed Back

These champs don't just happen, they take a fair amount of time and effort by those willing to put their hand up to make things happen as relatively smooth as they do.
    Unfortunately we are not in control of the weather and for a time of year that's usually fine and sunny bordering on getting warm we've copped it with some foul days for playing the last 2 years. Thankfully the 2 main days were the best this time. It's a real pity the Blackwood Kitchener Cup round was the worst of the conditions as this is a great course and worthy of repeat inclusions in the rotation.
    Being able to get on quality course for the Saturday rounds is extremely limited unless we travel outside over an hour outside the city so Mount Osmond was one we had to settle for in the end when better options were planned for course maintenance. It's been done now so the question doesn't need to be asked again for future Champs rounds.

A massive thanks to Nadg for all the ground work booking courses, collection of funds, and organizing prize fund distribution.
    Another massive thanks to Wazamac for the fantastic trophies again and organising and hosting the pre-champ rounds. Sorry I wasn't able to help out more with participation in the other days but I thought 3 days would be my limit with my lack of enthusiasm for Golf all year. The amount of wild trying to kill a snake in a phone box swings over 3days has done nothing to change that in the immediate future
    Another massive thanks to Marcel, Peter and James for having us on your home course. We are truly grateful for the opportunity.
    Thanks to Chilled for getting the game on Monday at Kooyonga, yes I think your right in that deposits should be taken for that one as its not fair on you as the Member of a tier 1 course that books spots for them not to be used.
    A big thanks to all our interstate Visitors for coming over to help make the Champs a great couple of days. It's great to put faces to names on the forum and a pleasure to tear up some turf with you during the day and chat over dinner and drinks after.
    Thanks to TC for the hat for prizes.
    Thanks to Peppas for his NAGA prize donation. I was sure I was a front runner for this with my lack of playing.
    If I've left anyone out I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 20th November 2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Fine form Hatch, big kudos for crunching all the numbers on your trusty iPad

Waza's trophies looked like they got a facelift this year; fine form to you! - I got news that Peter is very impressed with his latest addition to the pool room

Thanks Nadg for organising, Chilled sorry to hear about your pain this morning; I think deposits are the way to go next year.

We are very very lucky to get hosted onto a top 10 tier 1 course every year at a feasible rate - so to all the RA members who give up their time to host us voluntarily, we thank you!

As for the interstaters - thank you for coming; a shame I could not host you at Tanunda this year but next year we might put it back on the agenda when I am not bogged down with settling into the new job

On that note a big shout out to our missing Hardpan - hope your doing well mate and settling into a new job; never easy, but hopefully a refreshing sea change for you as it has been for myself

See you all next year! and that includes YOU Lager!

TC

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    On that note a big shout out to our missing Hardpan
    Don't worry, he's been around here lurking the event on the forums

Thanks TC, due for another one.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Hopefully I thanked everyone properly in person so I'll keep this brief.

Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with the weekend. Organisation, trophies, courses etc but most of all those who turned up (whether they played or not ). I wouldn't have anything to do with these things without the laughs.

Had a ball. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Hopefully I thanked everyone properly in person so I'll keep this brief.Thanks to everyone who had anything to do with the weekend. Organisation, trophies, courses etc but most of all those who turned up (whether they played or not ). I wouldn't have anything to do with these things without the laughs.Had a ball. Again.
    And I never did get my spotters fee! Seeing as I was also the rules official that’s an extra penalty after the event to carry over 😊

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    And I never did get my spotters fee! Seeing as I was also the rules official that’s an extra penalty after the event to carry over
    You'll get your spotters fee when I get my balls back!

Sucks even worse losing balls with no water in sight.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You'll get your spotters fee when I get my balls back!
    I did help keep the total down to three!

I do remember finding two consecutive shots of Peppas in the rough on the left that when he finally got on to the fairway he proceeded to shank the next shot in to the rough on the right!

So what your saying is while all of us were struggling to find balls, you were helping Peps and measuring his jacket size?

I'm taking this to the tribunal.

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    So what your saying is while all of us were struggling to find balls, you were helping Peps and measuring his jacket size?I'm taking this to the tribunal.
    Haha, spent most of the time assisting 3PP, no wonder my knees aches as I reckon I walked twice the regular distance!As for Peps, has he mentioned the two absolute corker hosel rockets he hit yet!?

So I thought I'd wait until I got onto a PC before I said all my thanks, as there are alot of them! Firstly, thanks to all the local SAnkers, in particular:
    Nadg for all your work organising behind the scenes and not even being able to play,
    Waza for all the work organising all the rounds, in particular the grange rounds, the Vines Friday morning round, making all the trophies, and bringing me a buggy every day,
    Hatchy for all the work organising, score keeping, and generally being hatchy,
    Marcel for all the work organising the RA rounds, roping in some mates to play with us to get us cheaper rates, and sorting some prizes out, in particular doing a towel prize trade with me
    Chilled for organising the Monday round and getting us onto Kooyonga and letting me beat you on your home track
    TheCollective for the prize donations, and showing me around Mt Osmond

Thanks to everyone I had a round with. As the golf was not always great it was always heartening to have great company to share the round with, so thank you all for that. I think I was lucky enough to have rounds with Slug, Jim, Benno, Oldracer, Waza, Hatchy, Nudgee, TC, Marcel, 3pp and Chilled. Thank you all for the good times on the golf course.

One last thanks to the missus for flying over and surprising me with a kitchener cake on Saturday night as well. Sounds like there was some organising in the background with some of the locals so good job surprising me

I think thats about everyone, sorry if I missed anyone. I had a great time as per usual. Kitcheners were awesome. Thank you all for sharing in my birthday weekend celebrations and letting me get over the line for the win. I am very humbled with the win, so thank you, best birthday ever! I will bring the jacket back next year, and look forward to wearing it around for the next year
    Last edited by Peppas; 21st November 2017 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Haha, spent most of the time assisting 3PP, no wonder my knees aches as I reckon I walked twice the regular distance!As for Peps, has he mentioned the two absolute corker hosel rockets he hit yet!?
    Wow I only hit one off the hosel. The other 2 were toe shanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    Wow I only hit one off the hosel. The other 2 were toe shanks!
    If you say so 😉😊

Well done on the win Peppas, your game certainly has improved since last year - I did wonder if you would start to crack the hcp as you always had a decent swing in the odd times I saw you play. Great company on the course as well; an absolute pleasure to play with.

See you next year!

C Grade Kapunda Open Champion
    SA Ozgolf Champion.

Augusta next?

C Grade Kapunda Open ChampionSA Ozgolf Champion.Augusta next?
    Port!?

So what your saying is while all of us were struggling to find balls, you were helping Peps and measuring his jacket size?

I'm taking this to the tribunal.
    Hitched his wagon to the apparent winner. The rest of us got nothing on the back 9. Sickening.

Sucks even worse losing balls with no water in sight.
    My ball played and I play a hard core game of hide and seek on the front 9 but I won out in the end finding the sh!t of a thing every time. It conceded and decide to play nice on the back and even gave up birdies on 11 and 17 I can't remember the last time I played R.A and finished the round with the same ball I started with?
    Last edited by Hatchman; 21st November 2017 at 09:45 PM.

W.I.T.B

Member Club Pro

ill pretty much just reiterate what everyone else has said.
    thanks to nadg for his organisation despite not playing.
    thanks to hatchy for his efforts
    thanks to waz, amazing trophies mate.
    thanks to marcel and co for allowing us to play on the brilliant RA
    thanks to chilled for our Monday round at Kooyonga, cracking track.

to all i played with and annoyed, particularly you Jim, thanks for some good laughs, some great golf and some really poor golf.

look forward to getting back one year.

if i left anyone out, sorry, cracking job by all!
    Taylormade M2 - Tour AD GT6S
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3 wood - Matrix HD7
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 5 wood - Matrix HD7
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 3 iron - Kuro Kage Hybrid shaft
    Wilson Staff V6 irons 4 - PW - DG S300 AMT
    Wilson Staff PMP Wedges - 52* and 58*
    Odyssey Black Tour Series no 9 putter

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    ill pretty much just reiterate what everyone else has said

to all i played with and annoyed, particularly you Jim, thanks for some good laughs, some great golf and some really poor golf.
    I'll reiterate as well.

I would do it all again, particularly the four or five (I've lost count) rounds with Slug and four with Peppas.

A few minor constructive points of feedback though.

Some thinking needs to be done about the post-game dinner scheduling.

We all wanted to hang around after the games to discuss our stellar play, but on Friday and Saturday we couldn't because we had to race off and make ourselves presentable before dinner.

Friday was a disaster anyway, but the club at Blackwood wasn't even open (understandably, due to the weather). In my view, the post Kitchener Cup dinner at The Vines worked well, so perhaps we need to look at venues for the Friday game that will also stay open and take our money in their dining room as well. If that turns out to be The Vines every year then so be it, but the issue is worth thinking about.

The Saturday dinner dilemma is easier to solve. Depending on the tee time and the location, we should just make our dinner booking a bit later. 7.30 was a bit tight to have a post game drink and chat, then home for a shower and a trip back into the city.

Having said that, The Alehouse was a good venue, particularly for watching the pain experienced by those who thought a 600gm schnitzel wouldn't be a problem. Wimp out and get the 300gm, boys! You won't regret it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I agree Jim that last year having dinner at the same venue as the game, The Vines, worked really well.Unfortunately it seems that most of the courses here now do not bother to open their restaurants on Fridays/Saturdays unless it is for a major function, i.e. a wedding. Guessing it is not financially/economical to do so for the members/general public!? The Vines is one of the few that still does, and being a member there know that it is a very popular dinner venue - for non golfers too!

More than happy to make The Kitchener Cup a regular fixture at The Vines

I don't have a problem with the Vines being home of the Kitchener Cup.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I don't have a problem with the Vines being home of the Kitchener Cup.
    So The Vines is the Friday venue, RAGC the Sunday, only leaves me the Saturday round to suss - I can go with that 😊 (Thursday and Monday are not my dept)

Thread Information