Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

This may be a big call, and I might be on my own with this, but it seems like he could be a sooky dickhead.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by dazza99 View Post
    Anyone know the full story with Warner today?

Walks off because he was sledged. Apparently (according to the news) he was called a "disgrace" by Phil Hughes brother.

What? Surely that's not the worst he's been called? And I get every impression he is/was the leading sledge merchant in the Aussie side.
    Must be more to it.
    Allegedly, the words used by J Hughes before disgrace were along the lines of "you are one of the ones responsible for my brother's death".

Which is fine to say if Jason Hughes has also said those words to Shaun Abbott, Moises Henriques and others. It it not fine if he has had many opportunities to say so to Warner in the past, but only said so on a cricket field.

I'm sure Jason Hughes will be chased for further comments, and to justify his conduct. In my view, he had better have a good explanation. He is the disgrace, not Warner.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

He probably left the field because he didn’t have a come back, it’d be a tough return sledge given the situation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Allegedly, the words used by J Hughes before disgrace were along the lines of "you are one of the ones responsible for my brother's death".

Which is fine to say if Jason Hughes has also said those words to Shaun Abbott, Moises Henriques and others. It it not fine if he has had many opportunities to say so to Warner in the past, but only said so on a cricket field.

I'm sure Jason Hughes will be chased for further comments, and to justify his conduct. In my view, he had better have a good explanation. He is the disgrace, not Warner.
    Not sure where you have read that Jim. Everything I've seen confirms that is exactly what it wasn't about.

The rest of your reasoning is just bizarre.

There is no love lost between the Hughes family and NSW cricket certainly, NSW were sledging Hughes voraciously right up until that tragic moment.

Warner is a hypocritical flog and this latest episode only serves to reinforce my intense dislike for him. Hiding behind a third party instead of coming out and dealing with it also reeks of a cynical management of the press cycle.

Not sure how you can pontificate on what sort of a man Jason Hughes is unless you've known him personally, for all of us surely he is a complete unknown.

My source: page 3 of yesterday's Sunday Telegraph. The club has denied it, so it could be wrong.

If true, it is a conversation that should never be held in public, let alone on a cricket field during what is supposed to be a game played purely for pleasure by its participants.

Even if it is not true, I imagine the player had opportunity to talk to Warner and express his views off the field. This, in my view, is an off-the-field matter that should not be dealt with on the field. Perhaps players who feel that Warner hasn't been sufficiently punished should refuse to take the field and play with him.

On the same subject, strangely, there doesn't seem to be an over the top reaction to the push by Shane Warne and others for the bans to be lifted.

I also wonder about the wisdom of sledging a world class batsman in a club game, assuming that all it was is a sledging incident.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Maybe so no one gets sledged ever we should just cancel cricket.

Warner has been more than happy to engage in sledging that involves what you call "off field matters" over the journey. Perhaps he should realise he has brought this all on himself and deal with it like a grown up.

"You're a disgrace, you shouldn't be playing cricket" is the alleged sledge.

Very upsetting for Davey.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    NSW were sledging Hughes voraciously right up until that tragic moment.
    Is this known or assumed as well? And yes, didn’t even know Hughes had a brother who played grade.

I feel some sympathy for the other 2, but Warner needs to stay away from the Aussie teams for mine.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Here's a link for anyone wanting to refresh on some of the bad blood going on. Personally i think the Hughes family did themselves no favors with the path they followed. It would have been two wankers going at it as Warner can give it out but not take it back. Weak as p*ss the missus speaking for him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...11-grzw8a.html
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Warner is a dickhead no doubt, but I hope they fired in a few short ones at Phil’s brother after all that carry on at the inquest.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Is this the Warner recommendation from the independent review of Cricket Australia?

RECOMMENDATION #41

Selectors be required to take account of a player’s character as well as their skills as a cricketer when making a selection.

CURRENT STATUS

A player’s character is considered in making a selection.

CA RESPONSE

CA will review its selection policy, with a heightened emphasis on a player’s character and behaviour in line with the Players’ Pact.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Here's a link for anyone wanting to refresh on some of the bad blood going on. Personally i think the Hughes family did themselves no favors with the path they followed. It would have been two wankers going at it as Warner can give it out but not take it back. Weak as p*ss the missus speaking for him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...11-grzw8a.html
    Agree with this assessment - I had a lot of sympathy for the Hughes family, and can empathise with their obvious grief, but trying to imply that NSW were actually trying to ‘kill’ Hughes was a bridge too far.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Is this the Warner recommendation from the independent review of Cricket Australia?

RECOMMENDATION #41

Selectors be required to take account of a player’s character as well as their skills as a cricketer when making a selection.

CURRENT STATUS

A player’s character is considered in making a selection.

CA RESPONSE

CA will review its selection policy, with a heightened emphasis on a player’s character and behaviour in line with the Players’ Pact.
    I'm looking forward to the first time a player (or more likely, a manager of a player) takes the Board to court for unfairly leaving a player out of a team due to his or her character. There will be more fireworks than the Geoffrey Rush defamation hearing.

Actually, I'm looking forward to us being strong enough in talent to leave a good player out of a team on such grounds.

From what I've read of The Review, it appears to be one of those strategy documents that makes you look like you are doing something, but you don't actually take action.

Besides, as far as I can tell, The Review isn't going to improve our batting in any way. If we can score runs consistently, all the other problems will be forgotten quickly.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I'm looking forward to the first time a player (or more likely, a manager of a player) takes the Board to court for unfairly leaving a player out of a team due to his or her character. There will be more fireworks than the Geoffrey Rush defamation hearing.

Actually, I'm looking forward to us being strong enough in talent to leave a good player out of a team on such grounds.

From what I've read of The Review, it appears to be one of those strategy documents that makes you look like you are doing something, but you don't actually take action.

Besides, as far as I can tell, The Review isn't going to improve our batting in any way. If we can score runs consistently, all the other problems will be forgotten quickly.
    I think there's already been a heap of players in all team sports that have been left out for "character" reasons rather than lack of talent.
    Whether the "character" issue is not being a team player, falling out with team mate(s), off-field mis-demeanors or just plainly being a dick-head. It has happened with no repercussions so far.

Can you imagine the court case? "I may be a pratt, but I scored a ton last week so I should be in the team!". Yeah, ok.

And in an opposite selection, wasn't one of the keepers left out a year or so back because they wanted to pick the guy (Wade) who made the most noise (read - best sledger) behind the stumps. They didn't want a better keeper because he was a nice guy and didn't upset the opposition.

Agree with your bit about it being a strategy document.
    All the time the National side is losing, any Aussie player, no matter what his character, will be picked if he's scoring 100's or taking plenty of wickets.
    WITB -

Taylormade RBZ 9.5deg
    TM Sldr Mini 12deg
    Adams 2hy 4hy
    TM Speedblade 5-SW
    Wilson 8802 variant

It seems to me Aussie sporting administrators are more PC than any other country, now we aren’t allowed to set swimming medal goals either. Not sure there’s an answer whilst we are trying to make everyone feel good about themselves.

Thread Information