Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    If being a do gooder, is being someone who thinks that a team that represents my country shouldn't cheat, then put me in that camp.
    Thinking it is one thing but getting on every radio station whinging about it so you can get free tickets to the footy and calling for the whole team to be sacked is getting a bit ferkin much . The same whiners will get on the same radio stations next year calling for heads to roll because we are getting our butts kicked as we can’t score runs against reverse swing , being bowled by bowlers who have been caught ball tampering.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The handwringing is getting a bit over the top. So a group of cricketers tried (unsuccessfully) to change the condition of the ball. In other news the pope is catholic and bears shit in the woods. Every team does this in one fashion or an other. Even my school team did it (not with any sophistication though - much like these guys).

I’m disappointed they did it. It’s mildly embarrassing and we have a great bowling line up so shouldn’t need to do it. But I’m more embarrassed how badly they did it. When the saffas, poms and Indians get busted doing it on an overseas tour their board steps in and threatens to take the team home if they’re found guilty. Instead our board launches an orgy of self flaggelation and sends half the batting line up home.

The pommy ex-cricketers climbing in on Twitter have short memories. England captains have been done for this too. And never mind the fact that Peterson texted the opposition tips on how to get his own captain out mid test! That’s worse than ball tampering. The current SA skipper has been done for exactly this twice now and one of their former skippers was done for match fixing. Even Turnbull having a crack about it and also saying we need to stop sledging because it’s beneath us. Surely he’s taking the piss. Watching question time is worse than anything you’ll see on a cricket field.

They shouldn’t have done it and deserve some form of punishment. But how this is still all over the front and back pages is ridiculous.
    Good one. I wish our press had gone 5% as hard when others were exposed against us. Actually maybe i don't.

Tho surprised i now get why our public has gone so hard but the press is sure having a field day winding people up.

It's turned into a real circus.

I'll give Smith one thing - he fronted up and took it on the chin unlike Du Plessis and others who lived in denial even after the appeal and verdicts.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I hope this means that other nations will follow suit, and suspend/sack players for cheating when they are caught.
    Yeah right.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Anyway i hope Maxi, Burns and Renshaw get among the runs. Be nice to somehow put up an ok effort tho rumour is the squad is pretty smashed. Maybe the new blood can put a bit of enthusiasm back into the show.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

12 months for Smith and Warner. 9 months for Bancroft
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Here comes the courts.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I'll give Smith one thing - he fronted up and took it on the chin unlike Du Plessis and others who lived in denial even after the appeal and verdicts.
    I don't, I find his apologies usually weak and lacking sincerity. He apologises too easily, no substance.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    I don't, I find his apologies usually weak and lacking sincerity. He apologises too easily, no substance.
    He could have easily tried to dog it tho like plenty before him have. Leave it resting with Bancroft, continual denial or bs, no physical proof, get the playing group to back Bancroft to the hilt etc. Sure it would have stunk but it wouldn't have resulted in this sort of circus. Bancroft would have got one game probably.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Lehmann's message via radio was for Handscombe to ask Bancroft - What in the F is going on?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Staement on the investigations. (For Coalesce )

http://www.cricketaustralia.com.au/media/media-releases/cricket-australia-statement-update/2018-03-28?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&ut m_campaign=20180328_CAUS_DMT_BallTampering_Update_ 3_Sanctions (1)&utm_content=&utm_term=&spMailingID=19272713&sp UserID=NDE4MDcxMTk3OTIwS0&spJobID=1221676400&spRep ortId=MTIyMTY3NjQwMAS2

Dear Australian Cricket Fans,

The Cricket Australia Board met this afternoon (Melbourne time) to consider the final report of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town, which was conducted by Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity at my direction.

We understand the ongoing concern felt by you regarding this situation and I want to share the findings and sanctions with you directly.

Summary of Sanctions

The range of sanctions available to Cricket Australia under our Code of Conduct are extensive.

The Board has considered these and determined that the following sanctions will be offered to each player in accordance with the Code of Conduct process:

Steve
    Smith
    Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket
    David
    Warner
    Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket
    Cameron Bancroft Suspension of 9 months from all international and domestic cricket

All three players will be permitted to play club cricket and will be encouraged to do so to maintain links with the cricket community.

All three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket. This will be a condition of future selection.

Leadership

Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not be considered for team leadership positions until a minimum of 12 months after the conclusion of their suspension from international and domestic cricket. Any consideration of future leadership would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group. David Warner will not be considered for team leadership positions in the future.

As our Chairman David Peever said tonight, the sanctions issued are significant penalties for professional players and the Board does not impose them lightly. I believe that they properly reflect a balance between the need to protect the integrity and reputation of the game and the need to maintain the possibility of redemption for the individuals involved, all of whom have learned difficult lessons through these events.

The key findings of the investigation, along with the sanctions summary (above) can be viewed
    here.

As custodians of our great game, we are confident that we have acted carefully and responsibly, taking into account the impact this incident has had on the Australian cricket community and the players.

As mentioned in my email to you this morning, Cricket Australia will also initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams as an important step in rebuilding and reestablishing your pride in Australian cricket. Further details will be announced shortly and we will keep you updated on the review as it progresses.

I would again like to take the opportunity to express our appreciation for the feedback we have received from the Australian public. We recognise the damage this incident has done to the integrity and reputation of Australian cricket and we are committed to doing all we can to restore your faith in the men’s team and the game.

James Sutherland
    Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

So they’re back just in time for the World Cup and Ashes. Handy coincidence.

Could be interesting to see what this does to the broadcast rights. The domestic options are unlikely to pay top dollar for coverage of a shit test team for the next 12 months. Although the Indians might pay a bit more to watch their side smash our weakened team next summer which could offset that.

The suspensions are ridiculous though. They’ve handed out a $1000 penalty for a $1.50 crime.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Major Winner

Don't know where you get $1.50 from Ron..

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-gold-Gri.../dp/B001AVCK8I

Check out the reviews at the bottom.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Tough one, if one person had tampered, like former guys have, one match and a fine. These blokes hatched a plan and effectively tried to change the outcome of the match. Not too different to taking a bribe, in my opinion.

Not sure I want or need Nick Reiwoldts opinion on it though, the horse is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlover View Post
    Don't know where you get $1.50 from Ron..https://www.amazon.com/Dura-gold-Gri.../dp/B001AVCK8ICheck out the reviews at the bottom.
    He didn’t use the whole sheet, in this game at least. Only $1.50 worth. Frankly he should get more credit for being tough enough to handle putting sandpaper down the front of his pants.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Frankly he should get more credit for being tough enough to handle putting sandpaper down the front of his pants.
    he only put some of it down there, they didn't show us the footage of where the rest went

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

If the argument is "everyone else does it, so that makes it okay", then cricket should be ridiculed like cycling is.

If the argument is "everyone else does it, so that makes it okay", then cricket should be ridiculed like cycling is.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's ok. There are numerous precedents and the punishment given is way left of center comparatively. Public response/outrage has dictated the punishment to a large degree imo.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying it's ok. There are numerous precedents and the punishment given is way left of center comparatively. Public response/outrage has dictated the punishment to a large degree imo.
    I reckon that's largely due to us being powerless over the others.

Totally agree, what I am saying is the punishment isn’t in line with the governing bodies previous rulings . This has happened because of hysteria whipped up by journalists and “ social commentators “. The same ones who have been gunning for the Aussie cricketers since Steve Waugh won 16 straight test matches . The same ones who supported ( or failed to criticise) the Indians when they called Andrew Symmonds a monkey . The same ones who went after Clarke for dating bingle and buying a unit in the eastern suburbs plus a Maserati. Warner’s biggest mistake was to buy a $6 mil mansion in the eastern suburbs and invite 60 minutes in to show it off , followed by marrying a hot blonde chick , followed by buying a Lamborghini. Seems to be a pattern developing here , bogans are to stay in the west , marry ugly chicks and drive a clapped out ford / Holden

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Totally agree, what I am saying is the punishment isn’t in line with the governing bodies previous rulings .
    Has CA previously ruled on this sort of thing?

The ICC punishment seems consistent with previous rulings.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Has CA previously ruled on this sort of thing?The ICC punishment seems consistent with previous rulings.
    That’s who I meant the icc is crickets’ governing body , CA is only the custodian of cricket in Australia

That’s who I meant the icc is crickets’ governing body , CA is only the custodian of cricket in Australia
    And CA is doing what they think needs to be done to look after the game.

And CA is doing what they think needs to be done to look after the game.
    Glad you think so

Glad you think so
    You don’t?

I reckon that's largely due to us being powerless over the others.
    Possibly. Looking at it another way i'd be quite happy if the ICC followed out lead a bit more in future rulings.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information