Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 650 AUD (65%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I hope this means that other nations will follow suit, and suspend/sack players for cheating when they are caught.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I hope this means that other nations will follow suit, and suspend/sack players for cheating when they are caught.
    I think they will be laughing their heads off at us . Gives them the opportunity to cheat even more because we can no longer point the finger .

All the do gooders calling for blood on every Ferkin format in Australia at the moment will be complaining and whining in a years time about us being easy beats .

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    The extra information won't change your mind.
    I disagree that extra information wouldn't have the capacity to change my mind, but agree that there are some for whom they've made their decision that all Aussies are cheats and will use it to piss off Australians for ever more. If you believe that I'm in that group too, that's your opinion and there's not a lot of point discussing it further.

Do you believe Lehman and the players admitted to being serial offenders and CA lied to us about it?

You either believe the CA info/statement to be an accurate reflection of what they were told or you don't.
    I don't think that CA are lying, but I don't buy the story that's been told so far. I think to a certain extent all teams are doing the same things, and the faux outrage to this is simply because the Australian team hasn't done a lot to endear themselves to non-Australian fans recently (not that they have any obligation to).

This is about faith in an organisation like CA to investigate something where they have a vested interest. I don't want a witch hunt - I want a thorough investigation.

It serves no purpose.
    CA need to deal with this in order that sponsors don't decide to walk away, and the public doesn't stop buying tickets, etc.

What is the best way for them to achieve that? Give no details, sweep it under the carpet, and hope people stop talking about it? Or show that they are serious about getting to the root of the problem (which incidentally is not about the length of bans to those that admitted to anything)?

Imagine if in a couple of weeks, having said it was just these 3 players, someone finds some TV footage that proves otherwise?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I don't think that CA are lying, but I don't buy the story that's been told so far... I don't want a witch hunt - I want a thorough investigation. Imagine if in a couple of weeks, having said it was just these 3 players, someone finds some TV footage that proves otherwise?
    It's pretty clear you don't believe CA and don't believe they've conducted a thorough investigation. As for extra footage in a couple of weeks, that's only a problem for the players if they lied to CA or a problem for CA if CA lied to us. Conspiracy theory 101. CA is lying because they say they're innocent. That's what all the guilty people say. Until they admit to more players doing it for longer, they must be hiding the evidence of it happening. Alternatively you believe CA is being honest with us based on the information they have. You can't not think they're lying and not believe their story.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Maybe coalesce should interview CA about how the conducted the investigation. I can imagine it would go like this:

Coalesce: did u do an investigation
    CA: yes
    Coalesce: was it thorough?
    Coalesce: promise
    CA: No you got us, we have lots to hide. Please don't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    All the do gooders calling for blood on every Ferkin format in Australia at the moment will be complaining and whining in a years time about us being easy beats .
    If being a do gooder, is being someone who thinks that a team that represents my country shouldn't cheat, then put me in that camp.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Maybe coalesce should interview CA about how the conducted the investigation. I can imagine it would go like this:

Coalesce: did u do an investigation
    Coalesce: was it thorough?
    Coalesce: promise
    CA: No you got us, we have lots to hide. Please don't tell anyone.
    Thorough

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

An update from James Sutherland
    Dear Australian Cricket Fans,

I would like to provide you with a further update on the situation with the Australian Men’s Cricket Team. We appreciate the concern you have regarding this situation and we wanted to ensure that you received this news directly from us.

I have recently concluded a meeting with the Cricket Australia Board in which we discussed the findings to date of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town. The initial outcomes and actions are as follows:
    • Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft have been officially reported for breaching Cricket Australia’s Code of Conduct and will depart the squad immediately.
    • The preliminary findings have confirmed that prior knowledge of the incident in Cape Town was confined to only the three players reported.
    • Sanctions are expected to be announced within the next 24 hours.
    • Tim Paine has been endorsed as Captain of the Australian Men’s Test Team.
    • Matthew Renshaw, Glenn Maxwell and Joe Burns will fly to Johannesburg today to join the squad for the Fourth Test against South Africa.
    In addition to sanctions for the individuals involved, Cricket Australia will initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams. The review will be an important step in rebuilding and restoring your pride in our Men’s teams.

Our teams have a responsibility as role models to ensure they uphold the values Australians expect, and to inspire us through the way they play.

Further, the health and welfare of our players and other staff is of the utmost priority. The Team Psychologist is with the team and providing support, while a number of players and staff have family and friends with them in South Africa.

The last few days have provided the strongest of indications of the passion Australians have for cricket and the Australian Men’s Team. Fans have provided a consistent voice regarding their expectations and we have been listening. We greatly value the feedback we receive from the Australian Cricket Family and will take the necessary steps to address your concerns.

James Sutherland
    Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

"The preliminary findings have confirmed that prior knowledge of the incident in Cape Town was confined to only the three players reported."

They probably made that up.

It's pretty clear you don't believe CA and don't believe they've conducted a thorough investigation. As for extra footage in a couple of weeks, that's only a problem for the players if they lied to CA or a problem for CA if CA lied to us. Conspiracy theory 101. CA is lying because they say they're innocent. That's what all the guilty people say. Until they admit to more players doing it for longer, they must be hiding the evidence of it happening. Alternatively you believe CA is being honest with us based on the information they have. You can't not think they're lying and not believe their story.
    At this point I can't say whether CA are deliberately lying. I am saying that I think Smith/Bancroft have either lied or excluded important details. I wouldn't describe that as a conspiracy theory - more like healthy cynicism.

It is pretty hard to square up the media reports on this with what has come out of CA so far. I'm saying that CA should do more to address some of those reports in order to help restore credibility to the rest of the group. For example, the reports that Warner's testimony to the investigation implicated others, which is partly why he is now reported as being ostracised from the rest of the players and "gone rogue". In fairness, CA have not said their investigation is complete.

At this point I can't say whether CA are deliberately lying. I am saying that I think Smith/Bancroft have either lied or excluded important details. I wouldn't describe that as a conspiracy theory - more like healthy cynicism.

It is pretty hard to square up the media reports on this with what has come out of CA so far. I'm saying that CA should do more to address some of those reports in order to help restore credibility to the rest of the group. For example, the reports that Warner's testimony to the investigation implicated others, which is partly why he is now reported as being ostracised from the rest of the players and "gone rogue". In fairness, CA have not said their investigation is complete.
    I reckon CA shouldn't have wasted their time on any sort of investigation, they should have asked you what happened and who knew about it. You've clearly got the inside story.

People in a better position than me to know the inner workings of an international cricket team are asking the same kinds of questions

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-2...t-home/9595664

It is clear some of you don't think the same way which is fine. I hope you are all right and I'm wrong.

People in a better position than me to know the inner workings of an international cricket team are asking the same kinds of questions

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-2...t-home/9595664

It is clear some of you don't think the same way which is fine. I hope you are all right and I'm wrong.
    I couldn't find the bit where they said CA half-arsed it

I couldn't find the bit where they said CA half-arsed it
    I didn’t ever say that. In fact as you’ve said there won’t be any evidence that can refute what they are told by players. If CA think they’ve got to the bottom of everything then what is their wider review of “culture” for? Is this homeworkgate all over again?

It’s amusing you’ll pick apart everything I say, but you’re happy to go along with what everyone else has said

The handwringing is getting a bit over the top. So a group of cricketers tried (unsuccessfully) to change the condition of the ball. In other news the pope is catholic and bears shit in the woods. Every team does this in one fashion or an other. Even my school team did it (not with any sophistication though - much like these guys).

I’m disappointed they did it. It’s mildly embarrassing and we have a great bowling line up so shouldn’t need to do it. But I’m more embarrassed how badly they did it. When the saffas, poms and Indians get busted doing it on an overseas tour their board steps in and threatens to take the team home if they’re found guilty. Instead our board launches an orgy of self flaggelation and sends half the batting line up home.

The pommy ex-cricketers climbing in on Twitter have short memories. England captains have been done for this too. And never mind the fact that Peterson texted the opposition tips on how to get his own captain out mid test! That’s worse than ball tampering. The current SA skipper has been done for exactly this twice now and one of their former skippers was done for match fixing. Even Turnbull having a crack about it and also saying we need to stop sledging because it’s beneath us. Surely he’s taking the piss. Watching question time is worse than anything you’ll see on a cricket field.

They shouldn’t have done it and deserve some form of punishment. But how this is still all over the front and back pages is ridiculous.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Finally some quality journalism on the subject.

https://instagram.com/p/Bg0s5hag5wp/
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

I didn’t ever say that.
    You've not said much at all while saying a lot. You began with wanting a thorough investigation yet provided no detail of how that's different to what they've already done. Of course this is because, and I'm guessing here, you don't have any idea whatsoever about what they've done so far.

You're the one convinced CA has either not investigated properly or lied about what they found and want then to provide the proof this is the case.

I'm saying you don't know IF there is any.

You've not said much at all while saying a lot. You began with wanting a thorough investigation yet provided no detail of how that's different to what they've already done. Of course this is because, and I'm guessing here, you don't have any idea whatsoever about what they've done so far.

You're the one convinced CA has either not investigated properly or lied about what they found and want then to provide the proof this is the case.

I'm saying you don't know IF there is any.
    And you've not stated a position other than just being contrary to whatever I've said. Are you genuinely satisfied with the explanations that you've heard so far?

Of course I don't know IF there is any proof either way. What I want is something that reassures given the inconsistency and further questions that have come out of the coverage so far. I don't want there to be more things to find - I want to feel more confident than I am now that there aren't any, and that's not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The handwringing is getting a bit over the top. So a group of cricketers tried (unsuccessfully) to change the condition of the ball. In other news the pope is catholic and bears shit in the woods. Every team does this in one fashion or an other. Even my school team did it (not with any sophistication though - much like these guys).
    For the public, I think it is more a build up of shit acts putting them off, with this being the final straw.

Put your public relations manager hats on, Ozgolfers, and think about what happens next.

Everyone seems to have convicted Dave Warner of everything except the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain. If you are Warner, what do you do next? Admit everything and say I'm truly sorry? Admit everything and show no remorse, saying this is the modern world and everyone else does it? Deny it and blame someone else? Plead for a chance to repair the damage? Retire immediately and go count my millions (the Tomic option)?

If you are Steve Smith, what do you do? Has he got any options Warner hasn't got? Do you hide from the media, or front up and accept the public flogging you are going to get?

As for Lehmann, my prediction is that he will retire after this test, whether he is genuinely innocent or not.

I look forward to the Captains Tour Diary and Players Tour Diary on this Tour.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I agree, and I personally feel it started with Clarke.

And you've not stated a position other than just being contrary to whatever I've said. Are you genuinely satisfied with the explanations that you've heard so far?
    Given my lack of actual knowledge of the case I'm happy to accept what the authorities tell me rather than assume I know what went on

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Whens the next test?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    The handwringing is getting a bit over the top. So a group of cricketers tried (unsuccessfully) to change the condition of the ball. In other news the pope is catholic and bears shit in the woods. Every team does this in one fashion or an other. Even my school team did it (not with any sophistication though - much like these guys). I’m disappointed they did it. It’s mildly embarrassing and we have a great bowling line up so shouldn’t need to do it. But I’m more embarrassed how badly they did it. When the saffas, poms and Indians get busted doing it on an overseas tour their board steps in and threatens to take the team home if they’re found guilty. Instead our board launches an orgy of self flaggelation and sends half the batting line up home. The pommy ex-cricketers climbing in on Twitter have short memories. England captains have been done for this too. And never mind the fact that Peterson texted the opposition tips on how to get his own captain out mid test! That’s worse than ball tampering. The current SA skipper has been done for exactly this twice now and one of their former skippers was done for match fixing. Even Turnbull having a crack about it and also saying we need to stop sledging because it’s beneath us. Surely he’s taking the piss. Watching question time is worse than anything you’ll see on a cricket field. They shouldn’t have done it and deserve some form of punishment. But how this is still all over the front and back pages is ridiculous.
    +1

Thread Information