Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default MGI buggy problems

I have the latest MGI Quad Gyro remote control buggy and it is horrible. They have upgraded the battery but unfortunately the speed control software cannot cope. Each press of the remote delivers an overly sensitive change in speed. I now have a buggy that is either going too quickly or too slowly when walking with it. MGI reckons there's no problem, even though they admit there is an "issue". So which company offers a better alternative....and better after-sales service?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it.

It performs very well!

In a perfect world, there would be a speed "in between" the 2 closest settings to my walking pace, as one goes a little slow, the other a little fast, however i just regulate it as i go...... start of fast, then slow down as i approach my ball.
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by davepuppies View Post

It performs very well!

In a perfect world, there would be a speed "in between" the 2 closest settings to my walking pace, as one goes a little slow, the other a little fast, however i just regulate it as i go...... start of fast, then slow down as i approach my ball.
    I thought u would start slow and finish fast

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by davepuppies View Post

It performs very well!

This. Exactly this.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it as well.

I just let it get ahead of me and stop it when it gets near my ball.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I have the same MGI quad gyro with remote and love it as well.

I just let it get ahead of me and stop it when it gets near my ball.
    That's exactly what I do. Get it in front of everyone and let it go.

Banned

Agree with all the replies above. I have a Navigator quad giro and love. I haven't had an issue with MGI after sales service. They are excellent to deal with. Would only buy another brand if MGI didn't have something I wanted in an electric buggy.

tgamez

I have had my MGI zip navigator for approximately one year. It has been reliable and perfect until today. It's suddenly and abruptly took off on its own without any instruction from my remote. It travelled approximately 200 yards at full speed and came to a stop. The remote no longer works. The LCD is Frozen. I cannot find a reset and the battery is fine. I've had no damage to it and have taken very good care of it. This appears to be a software glitch. Perhaps there is a firmware update that is needed.

Good luck with Warranty with MGI. My Remote Belt Clip broke again today. This is the third time in 18 months. So I got onto their Support via their Messenger box. I have been told (Guy) that is must be through misuse and they won't replace, I have to buy the spare part. Also tried to tell me that the buggy would not take off if you lock the Remote, I wish!

Simmsy and I had an experience recently where both of our Navigators lost the ability to turn for a short period of time. You could start/stop, increase/decrease speed, but no turning whatsoever.

It rectified itself a few minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Good luck with Warranty with MGI. My Remote Belt Clip broke again today. This is the third time in 18 months. So I got onto their Support via their Messenger box. I have been told (Guy) that is must be through misuse and they won't replace, I have to buy the spare part. Also tried to tell me that the buggy would not take off if you lock the Remote, I wish!
    Did you buy it from a physical store Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Did you buy it from a physical store Dave?
    No, I bought it online (eBay).

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    No, I bought it online (eBay).
    Was mgi the online seller?
    Last edited by damoocow; 1st December 2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Was mgi the online seller?
    Not as far as I am aware , but I believe the seller (Top Sports) is an authorised dealer as it shipped direct from MGI. We have a sort of resolution. The National Service Manager is shipping me a used one, and I have bought a spare, because breaking again is inevitable and it is a PITA when it does. I was irked when he accused me of misuse. Over use maybe, I am not the average owner in terms of frequency of use, lets face it. But the clip design is fundamentally flawed in my view, and it will break eventually for most users, I suspect.

I bought mine late April 2019 and have now done over 1600kms with it. That is 200+ rounds, an average of about 3 a week with it. The clip is the only thing that has broken so far, though a few parts don't work as well as they should, and it does do some quirky stuff at times, as Johnny C mentioned. But they are minor in the scheme of things and you put up with them. So the Navigator has been pretty reliable so far, if less than perfect in its design. It tipped over again on me yesterday for the umpteenth time. It only take a minor depression or uneven surface and it will power itself over. A combination of too short a wheelbase and track, no suspension, and too powerful a motor.

Member Club Champion

My Navi started to move on its on when it was near someones mgi. The frequency was interrupted and only this particular person. When i walked near his buggy about 100m out even my mgi started to move on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by ruud View Post
    My Navi started to move on its on when it was near someones mgi. The frequency was interrupted and only this particular person. When i walked near his buggy about 100m out even my mgi started to move on its own.
    Simmsy had this happen to his a few years ago.

Parked it greenside, at the top of a bunker with the remote in the cradle.

Nek minnit, upside down in the bunker. Another nearby frequency must have set it off.

Member Club Champion

MGI Navi had the same frequency as another guys Navi. Happened again last week. He was a few holes in front of me so whenever we were closeby, his remote would control my buggy and vice versa. I was moving it and he was wondering why his buggy was going forward. Was a pain! I didn’t get close enough to talk to him. Will call mgi to see what can be done.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Simmsy and I had an experience recently where both of our Navigators lost the ability to turn for a short period of time. You could start/stop, increase/decrease speed, but no turning whatsoever.

It rectified itself a few minutes later.

This happened to my Quad AT during a couple of rounds over the Xmas break. The other thing it did maybe 2-3 times was just stop as if it lost the signal from the remote.

Senior Member Major Winner

I can top everyone in this thread. Amateurs.

Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I'm onto my third gearbox in my Zip Navigator due to the "bad batch" they received 12+ months ago. My charger also just stopped working one day, the remote clip on the buggy and bag strap were broken when removed from the box brand new (nearly 2 years ago) and I'm STILL waiting on replacements from MGI...

Great buggy and makes life so much easier to play golf especially in the 36 hole comps but MGI's lack of customer service is appalling and turns me off buying any of their products again!!!
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

This needs a picture

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Default MGI poor warranty response and information

So I have had a MGI Navi Quad now for just on 3 years. Just before Christmas it just stopped working, by this got it out of the car and was operational all the way through the car park to the pro shop. Go in and pay come back out and nothing.
    So on the 21st December straight to my local repair agent, whom goes that's fine has a 3 year warranty and we will get it fixed. It now the 25th of January and the problem they thought it was, it isn't (Flex cable from motor controller to handle).

Now bear in mind this was only received by the repairer on the 21st January.
    Now chasing up this morning only to be told that the motor controller is fried and the battery shows voltage but once under load it rapid discharges. The repairer has told me looking about $800-900 to repair and its now out of warranty.
    Absolutely poor warranty repair information and the MGI website only makes reference to SLA batteries having a 12 month warranty in the quad series no mention of lithium.

Not sure if I should get it fixed, pressure for and outcome or cut my loses and get a motorcaddy.

PS I'm know of at least 3 other people that have had issues with this series of them doing the same thing

I cant imagine anyone giving a warranty longer than 12 months on a lithium battery. And the silly thing with these, its often just one cell that fails 18650's from memory, same as in your laptops, which cost about $10 each to replace (and an arm or a leg if you are crap at soldering).

I have had the same issue with my ebike. Charges and holds voltage just fine, but put a load on it and the BMS cuts it out because of just one bad cell. But you couldnt pay anyone to fix that, they would probably ask for too much.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post

Not even amateurs, you’re effort is far beyond pro.

Thread Information