Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Putting Grip

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Default Putting Grip

I've had my first hour putting lesson with the local golf pro a few weeks ago, and he gave me some really good drills that I can see will improve my putting. However one of the concerns I mentioned to him, and he dismissed as trivial was my grip on the putter. At the time I was using a pretty standard grip, and have since moved to a more Spieth inspired left hand down. Standard grip feels a little more comfortable, but I am finding I am holding a long way down the club. The left hand down feels a little strange, but I have found I regularly have more on centre strikes. I have also committed to fact that I will be having a proper putter fitting and putter with Cool Clubz (as soon as I see my tax return). I would like to ensure before I walk in there I have everything working as intended.

What I am curious to know is how often to golfers change their putting grip? Is it something that is best sorted as soon as possible or is there flexibility.

Senior Member Major Winner

You grip it whichever way makes you feel good

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

2 hands for beginners.

Blog Entries

Change style of grip twice in 30 years and currently using same plain overlap grip as the other 13 clubs.

If you are gripping down near the steel of the shaft, then it sounds like you may benefit from a shorter putter. Coolclubz will confirm this, as it may put your eyes right over the putting line.

Don't cut down your existing putter, as the swingweight will be way too light.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I like to squeeze a little harder with my left hand to compensate for being right hand dominant.

Maybe I have over thought the whole thing, which is typical for me. I want to ensure when I am practising I am not ingraining any bad habits. I think once I have my fitting and a few more lessons and rounds, everything will fall into place.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've never had a putter fitting, but I wouldn't do so until I had completely sorted out what type of putter I am (apart from being bad) and what grip I am going with and sticking to.

My understanding is that putter fittings would depend upon whether you stroke the ball with an arc stroke or a straight back and straight through.

As to the other question asked, I have changed grip twice over my many years of missing putts. When I got really desperate at missing short putts I went to the claw. I stuck with it for about 5 years, but I could never really get the pace right, and I eventually got sick of not being able to get 30 footers within 5 feet.

So it was back to conventional for me. probably for good.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I ended up cutting down my Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 to 33.5 from 35, it actually had 20g weights in the bottom when I bought it. I also tossed on a Flatso 1.0 grip and during my round today I felt very comfortable with it, and even found my dispersion close in. I committed to also stick with the left hand low grip.

I am still planning on getting properly fitted, but I just might get few more lessons before I do.

Dont forget posture... rather important as if you hunch over the ball - you use more shoulder rocking.. where as if you switch your core on and have a straight back... then your shoulders work around your lats

doesn't really matter which one... but understand what kind of stroke you have.

I also think putter grips means SFA as long as you use the same one all the time

IMG_3097.jpgIMG_3099.jpg

It feels okay, does it look okay?

(also why do all the photos end up on the side?)

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Mayborn View Post
    Attachment 46002Attachment 46003

Your eyes look to be in a good spot, that's a key.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Attachment 46002Attachment 46003

Looks good. Only thing I would say is get ur forearms on the same plane as the putter shaft.

This video explains it quite well.

https://youtu.be/4eHWE-jm4zk

Banned

Putting is very personal. What works for some may not work for you. For example, everyone seems to be using those big fat grips these days but I'm not a fan at all. They just feel crap to me. But, the most important thing for me is to make sure I have a putter that is around the 345-350g head weight. Anything too far away from that weight and my tempo goes to shit and I don't make anything. Has to be 35" for me too. Just keep trying different things and stick to what works.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Great video on putting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RrP1DtM3o
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Great information in those youtube videos, thank you for sharing.

I had another putting lesson, and with the shortening of the putter, new grip and commitment to a left hand low style; I had some positive feedback from the coach. He alleged my stroke is good 90% of the time, with more practice still being required. My issue now resides in alignment.

I had the feeling that he didn't like my current putter, as he mentioned there was too much toe hang, however dismissed further investigation when prompted.

Member Teaching Pro

Great information in those youtube videos, thank you for sharing.

I had another putting lesson, and with the shortening of the putter, new grip and commitment to a left hand low style; I had some positive feedback from the coach. He alleged my stroke is good 90% of the time, with more practice still being required. My issue now resides in alignment.

I had the feeling that he didn't like my current putter, as he mentioned there was too much toe hang, however dismissed further investigation when prompted.
    If you are going to stick with left hand low, I would recommend looking at the 4-5 degree loft range for your putter.

Reason being; left hand low tends to flatten out your shoulder plane which will give you a much more neutral angle of attack into the ball - as opposed to a traditional grip where you would have your left should much higher resulting in a natural hit on the upstroke.

Thread Information