Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Default Recommendations for custom club fitting Sydney?

Hi all,

Looking for a custom fitter in Sydney, first time getting a set custom fitted so want some word of mouth recommendations for honest, genuine service. Visited The Custom Golf Shop in Burwood which was a good experience but they seem to have closed down (anyone able to shed light - have they relocated?)

Thanks!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The high-end choices are most probably: Pureform, Precision Golf and Cool Clubs.

Pureform have this deal going:

https://crazygolfdeals.com.au/deal/n...c-3474f4dd3612

I did a fitting at Precision Golf which was excellent but haven't been to the other two.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Been to Cool Clubs twice and loved it, very knowledgable and helpful, just opened a new facility in Sydney, Jack is the main man there I believe, great guy.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by bongoey View Post
    Hi all,

Looking for a custom fitter in Sydney, first time getting a set custom fitted so want some word of mouth recommendations for honest, genuine service. Visited The Custom Golf Shop in Burwood which was a good experience but they seem to have closed down (anyone able to shed light - have they relocated?)

Thanks!
    Have you tried the putter named after you?

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Hi all,

Thanks!
    Andy from The Custom Golf Shop will fit you at his golf studio in Balmain. Here he is: http://www.thegolfproject.com.au/
    Scott moved on to Roseville golf club.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I've had a few sessions with Pureform and have mixed feelings.

I did a full bag, and then some follow up driver and hybrid fittings.

On the day, using Trackman, the improvement in numbers was undeniably impressive.

However, they don't have all the major brands (no Ping) and don't carry stock shafts for those they do have.

I was fitted into Callaway Steelhead irons, for example, but they didn't have the XP95 shaft to try. The numbers with what they recommended were good, but you don't know if those with the stock shaft might be just as good for half the price.

The other issue is repeatability. I've done three fittings with two different fitters. Each time they recommended something different. One guy who I saw twice 6 months apart went from a $400 shaft to a $150 one. The other said his colleague's recommendations were wrong and suggested yet another shaft.

Admittedly my swing isn't the most consistent, but if the suggestions are that variable one wonders if they really are being scientific.

Then there is that issue that, with the driver anyway, my results on course don't reflect those from the session. Indoor fittings suck.

I also did a free iron fitting at Powergolf and again was fit into the Steelheads. The numbers were different empirically, but still showed a similar comparative improvement over my old set. I ended up buying from them and then reshafting with what Pureform recommended.

Stock was no better or worse. For shafts, the free Mizuno Optimiser app takes three swings and is as accurate as anything else I've tried.

I reckon your best bet is to go to a fitting day at an outdoor range. All the major brands do them.

Make sure they use real balls. I went to a Callaway Epic day at Moore Park using distance limited range balls and it was simply impossible to know if it was better, worse or the same as what I had.

All that said, Pureform often has huge discounts on fitting so it is worth going along simply for the experience. Mine was 60% off, so around $150 for four hours on Trackman.

It's be great if you could do it without the sales guy, but it is still interesting.
    Last edited by sfdoddsy; 29th June 2017 at 11:21 PM.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Ping G425/Mizuno FliHi hybrids
    Cleveland XL Halo driving irons
    PXG 0311P Gen 3 Steelfiber i95 irons
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Quote Originally Posted by sfdoddsy View Post
    I've had a few sessions with Pureform and have mixed feelings.

I did a full bag, and then some follow up driver and hybrid fittings.

On the day, using Trackman, the improvement in numbers was undeniably impressive.

However, they don't have all the major brands (no Ping) and don't carry stock shafts for those they do have.

I was fitted into Callaway Steelhead irons, for example, but they didn't have the XP95 shaft to try. The numbers with what they recommended were good, but you don't know if those with the stock shaft might be just as good for half the price.

The other issue is repeatability. I've done three fittings with two different fitters. Each time they recommended something different. One guy who I saw twice 6 months apart went from a $400 shaft to a $150 one. The other said his colleague's recommendations were wrong and suggested yet another shaft.

Admittedly my swing isn't the most consistent, but if the suggestions are that variable one wonders if they really are being scientific.

Then there is that issue that, with the driver anyway, my results on course don't reflect those from the session. Indoor fittings suck.

I also did a free iron fitting at Powergolf and again was fit into the Steelheads. The numbers were different empirically, but still showed a similar comparative improvement over my old set. I ended up buying from them and then reshafting with what Pureform recommended.

Stock was no better or worse. For shafts, the free Mizuno Optimiser app takes three swings and is as accurate as anything else I've tried.

I reckon your best bet is to go to a fitting day at an outdoor range. All the major brands do them.

Make sure they use real balls. I went to a Callaway Epic day at Moore Park using distance limited range balls and it was simply impossible to know if it was better, worse or the same as what I had.

All that said, Pureform often has huge discounts on fitting so it is worth going along simply for the experience. Mine was 60% off, so around $150 for four hours on Trackman.

It's be great if you could do it without the sales guy, but it is still interesting.
    Thanks sfdoddsy, really helpful to hear your experience. Had to travel to Melbourne briefly so booked in a session at the Mizuno Fitting Centre for my irons. Might think about using the discount for the Pureform experience.

When you do the fitting do they put a lot of pressure on you to buy something? Or are most happy for you to come in to get numbers? Thinking that getting the experience and numbers then ordering custom-made online might be a much cheaper option.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A good mate just did a fitting at PureForm just to find out which iron shafts he should be using.

As it was just a reshaft not brand new clubs I don't think they hit him up for a payment straight away.

FWIW, the reshaft price they quoted him was mind numbing.

The first time I went in I had a full bag fitting and they were a bit pushy on the day and in follow ups.

The second time was for a second opinion to see if the numbers remained consistent and they were less so.

Subsequently I've made it clear I just wanted to check numbers and they make token efforts.

Unfortunately their business model means everything you buy new is way over-priced as you need to buy a full club with shaft at retail, then for the shaft they recommend.

But if you have, say, a driver head which works and need a new shaft they can be reasonable value.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Banned

While I've not experienced any of the custom fit options mentioned above, I've been fitted plenty of times by suppliers and retail shop fitters and have never been impressed. I spent some time myself in the industry as well and have done a "custom fit" on myself so to speak and unless you can get out on the golf course and hit what the LM has come up with indoors, you will never know if it works. There are countless times I've bought something on a fitting when the numbers were good but it just didn't work on the course. There were also times when I just wanted something, it gave crap numbers but I bought it anyway and it worked. There were also times when indoor LM numbers gave me better results with one club over another (2016 M1 vs M2 driver, same shaft, M2 was waaaay better indoors on a LM) but the opposite was the case out on the course. I will stop short of saying custom fitting is merely a selling tool but I will say, make sure you get the oppotunity to hit the combinations they are fitting you for OUTSIDE ON THE GOLF COURSE without a LM, before you start laying down huge hunks of cash for your "fitted" golf clubs. You will never know if they work for you until you get them on the course.

Oh, and don't get me started on all that puring and spine aligning crap with shafts. Just another selling tool that costs a lot of money that means diddly squat to most golfers these days with the quality of shafts that are out there. Just my $0.02.

Thanks sfdoddsy, really helpful to hear your experience. Had to travel to Melbourne briefly so booked in a session at the Mizuno Fitting Centre for my irons. Might think about using the discount for the Pureform experience.

When you do the fitting do they put a lot of pressure on you to buy something? Or are most happy for you to come in to get numbers? Thinking that getting the experience and numbers then ordering custom-made online might be a much cheaper option.
    To be totally honest, I think the free Mizuno Optimiser fitting will give you results as good as Pureform/whomever for irons.

I didn't do it through Pureform, but I did convince my partner that a nice Xmas present would be to resift my irons with the Steelfiber shaft recommended at my fitting. On the course, I didn't hit it any better than the stock XP95 shaft, and possibly worse, although that may have coincided with some swing issues.

The XP95 was recommended by the Mizuno doodad, and I have them in my newer irons. Again it may coincide with an improved swing, but I am hitting them really well.

And if I'm being brutally honest, last time I went to check driver numbers they tried to fit me into the new Callaway Epic. On their machine the numbers were somewhat better than the my driver.

So I bought a used one and tried it out. With the exact shaft they recommended too.

On the course the Epic was no more accurate, no more forgiving, and no longer than my other drivers. Possibly a bit worse as measured by my shot-tracking gizmo.

On the other hand a member at my club was fitted by them into Srixon Z565 and she has gone from an 8 to a 4 and swears by them.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Bringing this thread back up.

How dismal are the fittings at the off course golf retailers, and do they hold any value? I am personally not looking to go all out with aftermarket shafts and what not, but rather stick with stock shaft offerings. Just something that fits me better than what I have. I have found with my limited experience with the custom club fitters, they tend to be a little pushy and why I have been hesitant.

**I just discovered crazy golf deals and 150 voucher for precision golf. So I will trying that out in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Mayborn; 9th September 2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    While I've not experienced any of the custom fit options mentioned above, I've been fitted plenty of times by suppliers and retail shop fitters and have never been impressed. I spent some time myself in the industry as well and have done a "custom fit" on myself so to speak and unless you can get out on the golf course and hit what the LM has come up with indoors, you will never know if it works. There are countless times I've bought something on a fitting when the numbers were good but it just didn't work on the course. There were also times when I just wanted something, it gave crap numbers but I bought it anyway and it worked. There were also times when indoor LM numbers gave me better results with one club over another (2016 M1 vs M2 driver, same shaft, M2 was waaaay better indoors on a LM) but the opposite was the case out on the course. I will stop short of saying custom fitting is merely a selling tool but I will say, make sure you get the oppotunity to hit the combinations they are fitting you for OUTSIDE ON THE GOLF COURSE without a LM, before you start laying down huge hunks of cash for your "fitted" golf clubs. You will never know if they work for you until you get them on the course.

Oh, and don't get me started on all that puring and spine aligning crap with shafts. Just another selling tool that costs a lot of money that means diddly squat to most golfers these days with the quality of shafts that are out there. Just my $0.02.
    Resurrecting this post again - Jazz (or anyone else): any recommendations as to where you can demo a range of brands outdoors?

Been looking around but seems to be that either you stump up $ to book a fitting day at a private course for ONE brand (probably with RANGE balls), or you go generic like Drummond with a sales assistant rather than club pro.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Resurrecting this post again - Jazz (or anyone else): any recommendations as to where you can demo a range of brands outdoors?

Been looking around but seems to be that either you stump up $ to book a fitting day at a private course for ONE brand (probably with RANGE balls), or you go generic like Drummond with a sales assistant rather than club pro.
    I guess I am lucky that the Avondale proshop has Callaway, Ping, Mizuno & Taylor Made that we can borrow and demo with different stock shafts (and a few custom shafts) for a few days to see what works.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Good timing.

Ask at PowerGolf. I got an email yesterday about their Golf Club Expo in early October at a Sydney outdoor range.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Good timing. Ask at PowerGolf. I got an email yesterday about their Golf Club Expo in early October at a Sydney outdoor range.
    Thanks for posting this Dotty. Any mention on whether it was Alexandria, Artarmon or CH that was doing it? Might determine the driving range used. Drumming golf Northmead do a similar thing at least once a year but I'm not sure when their next one is.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Recommendations for custom club fitting Sydney?

At St Mick's

Banned

Thanks for putting this up Loz.

Obviously an Alexandria arranged demo. Why whould they have it on a Thursday from 9-5?

Apart from the fact it probably suits that staff but it seems like a strange time to conduct a demo all the way out there (even from the city) during business hours during the week. Oh well, what do I know?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Thanks for putting this up Loz.

Obviously an Alexandria arranged demo. Why whould they have it on a Thursday from 9-5?

Apart from the fact it probably suits that staff but it seems like a strange time to conduct a demo all the way out there (even from the city) during business hours during the week. Oh well, what do I know?
    I don't think they got lights there, so not much point demoing clubs at night if you can't see the ball.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I don't think they got lights there, so not much point demoing clubs at night if you can't see the ball.
    What's wrong with a Saturday?

An outdoor range with a whole of heap of brands and stock shafts on a Saturday/Sunday with knowledgeable people is exactly what I am looking for, however I doubt I'll see anything like that up around my way.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mayborn View Post
    An outdoor range with a whole of heap of brands and stock shafts on a Saturday/Sunday with knowledgeable people is exactly what I am looking for,
    That is also every tyre-kickers wet dream, so you'll never get a tee time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayborn View Post
    ... however I doubt I'll see anything like that up around my way.
    What about Jason Laws at Fern Bay?

My bro had a good fitout with Peter Johnston at Merewether, but that was a decade ago (Ping i10 era).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    That is also every tyre-kickers wet dream, so you'll never get a tee time.

What about Jason Laws at Fern Bay?

My bro had a good fitout with Peter Johnston at Merewether, but that was a decade ago (Ping i10 era).
    I really didn't consider the tyre kicker market, I guess I don't tempt myself if I can't afford.

Funny you mention Jason Laws, I have a lesson lined up with his academy in the following week.

I think my major concern with the entire "custom" club fitters is the marketing push of the custom shafts and rust protection (I am very susceptible to being up sold).

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I’d bump this older one.

As mentioned above, I’ve done a few fittings at Pureform, with a couple more since my last comment.

The other day I did a driver fit at Cool Clubs. I was trying to decide between two drivers I bought impulsively.

Numbers-wise, the results were very similar to what I’ve seen at Pureform. So at least their Trackmen are calibrated similarly.

The fitter at CC (Josh) warmed my heart by asking how high I teed it (high), rather than asking me to adjust to a lower tee.

But that aside, the advice and suggestions were broadly similar.

What made CoolClubs worth the higher price was being able to hit onto a full range. Apparently this helps Trackman, but it really helped me. It is much easier to judge flight, height and shape when you can see it for real.

Trackman has optimised launch conditions, but seeing them on a screen isn’t even close to seeing them for real.

I don’t mind indoor for just getting numbers, but would not do a proper fitting without outdoor access.

And don’t get me started on the difference between hitting irons off a mat and off real grass.
    Ping G430 Max
    Ping G410 5 wood
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore
    Odyssey Rossie OG

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

So you have seen the light brother???

Thread Information