Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default 2017 Queensland Championships - Cairns

Good day fellow Ozgolfers,

Courty and I would like to welcome you to the 2017 Ozgolf Queensland championships in sunny Cairns.

The prestigious Duncan Bennett Memorial Trophy will again be up for grabs as golfers across the country compete to be Qld's top Ozgolfer. Will you be able to defeat last years Champion, Backintheswing, and get your name on the converted trophy?

Kicking off Friday 8th September, and finishing on Monday 11th September. Beat the southern cold weather, and come and join us in the sunny Cairns.

Sunny Cairns you say? Well:
    Average September High: 28.7degC
    Average September Low: 18.7degC
    Mean Monthly Sunshine hours: 261hrs

THE GOLF
    Friday: Cairns GC - http://www.cairnsgolfclub.com.au/

Home course to the worlds largest selection of Solarmen. Looking to reprise ver2.0 of the famous 2-ball Banana cup.

Golf: $31 Walking
    Cart: $35/cart
    Tee time: 12:00 noon first group
    Comp: Social round only

Saturday: Palmer Sea Reef - http://www.palmergolf.com.au/cms/palmer-sea-reef/

Coolum might have fake dinosaurs, but Sea Reef has real ones - stay out of the water and you'll be fine.

Golf: $115
    Cart: compulsory (inc)
    Tee time: 11:15am first group
    Comp: $10 pay on the day

QLD CHAMPS PUTTING COMP will also held prior to this round. Kicking off at 10:00am.

Sunday: Paradise Palms - http://www.paradisepalms.com.au/golf

A tough track for champs day 2 to sort the wheat from the chaff. Such a thorough test it has been said Lefty can't break 80 around here (though he has never played it on a Monday)

Golf: $115
    Cart: compulsory (inc)
    Tee time: 09:00am first group
    Comp: $10 pay on the day

Monday: Half Moon Bay GC - http://halfmoonbaygolf.com.au/

A nice cruisy wind down close to the city on the Monday. Lefty normally score 200 birdies on a Monday, so as a group we should get at least 4.

Golf: $40
    Cart: $30/cart
    Tee time: 07:30am first group
    Comp: Social round only

We also will be looking for an informal locals-organised Thursday round. Please feel free to come and play with us. Pay on the day, nice and relaxed.

NOTE: All golf to be prebooked and includes fees for prizes (overall / NTP etc). I will register interest below and deposit / payments paid early would be most appreciated. Some people may get cheaper rates for being members / reciprocal etc, please let me know if this applies to you.

ACCOMMODATION
    Bookings start Thursday night, through to Sunday night.

http://www.bayvillage.com.au/

I have reserved:
    4x Std motel rooms - twin share - $68pp per night
    4x Std motel rooms - Double (solo) - $135pp per night

In an effort to encourage families to take a winter break, Bay Village also has:
    2 Bedroom apartments ($290/night) – sleeps 4 ($26 for extra person)
    3 bedroom apartments ($320/night) – sleeps 6 ($26 for extra person)
    Family Rooms ($175/night) – sleeps 4

For those wanting these rooms, I am happy to book, and also happy if you want to arrange yourself.

There is a pool on site, and a Balinese restaurant. Accommodation is located 1.2km from the center of Cairns CBD.

And the fine print:
    1. You will not be considered as entered until you supply your Full name, club and Golflink.
    2. Deposits (min 20%) to be paid by end July. Remaining by End August. Late entries will be accepted pending availability.
    3. All rounds for championship purposes will be scored as stableford.
    4. We do this for fun, so don't be a dick if we don't quite have what you want, or you don't like it.

Payment by bank transfer - Please leave your user name and QLD as the message ie "QLD - username"

Bank: Bankwest
    A/C: Benjamin Reed
    BSB: 303 092
    A/c #: 5689339

PLAYER

Fri Golf
    Sat Golf

Sun Golf

Mon Golf

Cart - Fri

Cart - Mon

Accom -
    Single / Share

Thur Accomm

Fri Accomm.

Sat Accomm.

Sun Accomm.

Subtotal

Amount
    Paid

Amount
    Owe

Comments

PRICING:
    $31
    $115
    $115
    $40
    $17.50
    $15.00
    $68 / $135
    $68 / $135
    $68 / $135
    $68 /$135
    Current Nos. 12 18 17 8 2 1 4 7 8 5
    benno_r Y Y Y Y N N Solo Y Y Y Y $841 $841 $0 Cairns recip
    Courty Y Y Y Y N N NA N N N N $280 $0 $280 Cairns mem
    Peppas N Y Y N N N Solo N Y Y N $500 $500
    $0
    KJ Y Y Y Y N N Share Y Y Y Y $573 $573
    $0
    Cairns recip
    Jimandr Y Y Y Y Y Y Solo Y Y Y Y $1278.50 $1278.50 $0 + Wed/Mon/Tue accom
    Bushy Y Y Y TBC N N NA N N N N $240 $240 $0 Cairns member
    Dcanto Y Y Y N N N NA N N N N $261 $261 $0
    BITS N Y Y N N N NA N N N N $230 $230 $0 2016 CHAMP
    Jazzdog N Y Y N N N NA N N N N $230 $230 $0
    AndyP Y Y Y Y N N Share Y Y Y Y $573 $573 $0
    Haysey Y N N Y N N NA N N N N $50 $0 $50 Cairns Member
    MrBluu Y Y Y N Y N Share N Y Y N $414.50 $414.50
    $0
    Pete_RS Y Y Y Y N N NA N N N N $301 $301 $0 Cairns recip
    LeftyHoges Y Y Y Y N N Share N Y Y Y $505 $505
    $0
    Solarman Y Y Y N N N NA N N N N $240 $240 $0 Cairns Member
    SundayHack N Y Y N N N NA N N N N $230 $0 $230
    Frodo (Solarmans mate) N Y N N N N NA N N N N $115 $0 $115
    Shazza_RS N Y Y N N N NA N N N N $230 $230 $0
    Toots N Y Y N N N NA N N N N $230 $230 $0

Last edited by benno_r; 9th May 2018 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Trying my best...

That's what I love about those north of the tweed before champs events. The desire for the handicap to go down...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Can't recall if I have already posted this and I'm too slack to check. Put me down for Friday to Sunday. Anyone who wants a hit on Thursday at Gordonvale let me know as I'll be up for that also.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Can't recall if I have already posted this and I'm too slack to check. Put me down for Friday to Sunday. Anyone who wants a hit on Thursday at Gordonvale let me know as I'll be up for that also.
    Will do mate, and sounds like Thursday is locked at Gordonvale for those interested. Like me!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    That's what I love about those north of the tweed before champs events. The desire for the handicap to go down...
    Shots fired

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    . No accommodation required.
    That's cheating. Any win will now have an asterisk against it.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome aboard Jim, I will ask about the extra days, but I don't see an issue.

Are you driving or flying? I lot of people in Bris might be keen to pay you the new Jetstar tax to courier the bags (I'd suspect)...
    Benno,

the reason I ask about extra accom days is that you seem to have negotiated a better day rate than is posted on their website. I'd prefer to pay 135 than 160 for extra days.

Regarding question 2, I haven't made a final decision.

Originally, I was inclined to drive (slowly) and drop in at other places on the Coast that I've never been to. But my internet research tells me there isn't much worth seeing between Mackay and Cairns. The attractions all seem to be reef related off the coast rather than on the mainland. And the golf courses, even in Townsville area, barely get a mention by anybody.

The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there.

The long drive is still favourite, but not by much. I'm about to ask a question in another thread that may help me make up my mind.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Benno,

the reason I ask about extra accom days is that you seem to have negotiated a better day rate than is posted on their website. I'd prefer to pay 135 than 160 for extra days.

Regarding question 2, I haven't made a final decision.

Originally, I was inclined to drive (slowly) and drop in at other places on the Coast that I've never been to. But my internet research tells me there isn't much worth seeing between Mackay and Cairns. The attractions all seem to be reef related off the coast rather than on the mainland. And the golf courses, even in Townsville area, barely get a mention by anybody.

The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there.

The long drive is still favourite, but not by much. I'm about to ask a question in another thread that may help me make up my mind.
    Yeah i checked it out, i can book it under the group rate.

After sunshine coast, golf pickings get slim.

Maryborough is good, Rocky is ok, Capricorn Resort at Yeppon is great. Mackay is ok, Hamilton is overpriced/overrated. Not much to bet excited about after that until Cairns.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Jim parking a Bris airport isn't too pad, paid $120ish for 10 days incl valet when we went to Fiji in april

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

It is a long way. 1700kms, Further than Melbourne from Brisbane 1675.1

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I'd be looking at Virgin or Tiger. Just for fun I checked Thursday flights up from Sydney:
    Jetstar - $119 + $30 for 30kg + $25 golf club tax = $174
    Virgin - $159 inc 23kg
    Tiger - $129 + $33 for 25kg = $162
    Are Virgin and Tiger okay with the bag being a golf bag?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Are Virgin and Tiger okay with the bag being a golf bag?
    Virgin definitely OK, no sure about Tiger.

Edit: Tiger appears OK too:

http://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/sports...t_check_in.php
    Last edited by benno_r; 13th June 2017 at 03:21 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Four days of rain in a row has given me plenty of time to do some internet searching in order to make a decision.

I'm going to undertake the driving/golfing adventure of a lifetime, with a stopover in the middle in each direction.

My plan at this stage is to leave Ballina Thursday, play golf on the Sunny Coast Friday (probably Palmer Coolum), then make my way to Capricorn Resort for a Sunday game. Much closer to the time I'll post a first tee thread just in case BITS and others can make a game on Sunday Sept 3.

Other stops in Airlie Beach and Townsville should see me arrive in Cairns on Wednesday 6th.

On the way back I'll play it by ear, but make a stopover at Bargara for a Friday game on the 15th.

I'll make sure there is an appropriate selection of driving music on my ipod. I believe a mix of Toby Keith and Public Enemy will do the trick.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Four days of rain in a row has given me plenty of time to do some internet searching in order to make a decision.

I'm going to undertake the driving/golfing adventure of a lifetime, with a stopover in the middle in each direction.

My plan at this stage is to leave Ballina Thursday, play golf on the Sunny Coast Friday (probably Palmer Coolum), then make my way to Capricorn Resort for a Sunday game. Much closer to the time I'll post a first tee thread just in case BITS and others can make a game on Sunday Sept 3.

Other stops in Airlie Beach and Townsville should see me arrive in Cairns on Wednesday 6th.

On the way back I'll play it by ear, but make a stopover at Bargara for a Friday game on the 15th.

I'll make sure there is an appropriate selection of driving music on my ipod. I believe a mix of Toby Keith and Public Enemy will do the trick.
    Sounds like a good plan Jim. I am likely to be home the weekend before Qld champs, so if you driving through Maryborough can play in Sat comp at Hervey Bay or Maryborough.

Bargara is a top track too, bit of a detour but a top spot as well as course. And you can stop in at Bundaberg distillery (Rum or Ginger beer) on the way home.

Just some information for those considering having a hit at Gordonvale on the Thursday. There is a comp on in case anyone wants to do some last minute handicap farming, so get those tractors warmed up. In fact there may be actual tractors cruising past the course as the sugar-cane harvesting season will be well underway. There will also be the sweet smell of molasses wafting over the course from the local mill - all just part of the attraction at playing 'Royal G' (cue in smartarse comment from Courty in 5..4..3.....).
    http://www.gordonvalegolfclub.com.au/
    http://www.swingbyswing.com/courses/...olf-Club/43259

With Benno's permisson I'll setup a first tee thread closer to the date.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Just some information for those considering having a hit at Gordonvale on the Thursday. There is a comp on in case anyone wants to do some last minute handicap farming, so get those tractors warmed up. In fact there may be actual tractors cruising past the course as the sugar-cane harvesting season will be well underway. There will also be the sweet smell of molasses wafting over the course from the local mill - all just part of the attraction at playing 'Royal G' (cue in smartarse comment from Courty in 5..4..3.....).
    http://www.gordonvalegolfclub.com.au/
    http://www.swingbyswing.com/courses/...olf-Club/43259

With Benno's permisson I'll setup a first tee thread closer to the date.
    Permission granted, king of Thursdays!

No worries. Just didn't want to steal your thunder.

Crisis averted, everyone. There is craft beer in Cairns again. Woohoo!!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/busines...47830b41eb76a9

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Crisis averted, everyone. There is craft beer in Cairns again. Woohoo!!

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/busines...47830b41eb76a9
    The Courtyard - not to be confused with Courty's yard

https://www.facebook.com/thecyardcns/

Craft beers? Not James Squires, I hope.

Not sure, I mention the Courtyard because it's where Coral Sea Brewing may have some of their products according to local press. Might be worth trying Three Wolves as well for the type of beer you're after. http://www.threewolves.com.au/#Who-we-are-menu
    Last edited by Dcanto; 15th June 2017 at 03:14 PM.

Three Wolves definitely got a mention.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Leave form is going in! Planning to fly up on Thur but not sure if it'll be early enough to get in for the Gordonvale round.

Virgin definitely OK, no sure about Tiger.

Edit: Tiger appears OK too:

http://www.tigerair.com/sg/en/sports...t_check_in.php
    I was about to book flights, and the booking lets you select sports equipment without selecting checked in baggage. I thought it strange that it didn't have checked in baggage on the confirmation page, so I have double checked their wording. The problem is the following wording in their baggage section: "If you wish to check-in your sports equipment as baggage, a sports equipment bag fee is levied in addition to standard checked baggage fees."

This makes it the same as Jetstar.

Tiger has $75 flights at the moment, and Jetstar has $79, plus these extra bloody fees. Jetstar up there at $134 still looks good, but I'm getting too tired now to make a call on which to go with, considering price and flight times, as I might do something dumb, so it will have to wait. Damn it!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The trouble for me with flying is that the direct flights from Gold Coast Airport are at very unfavourable times (either 0600 or 2030), and there doesn't seem much point in driving 3 hours to Brisbane, then parking my car somewhere at skyhigh parking rates and flying from there..
    look up RACQ airport parking, they might offer a discount to hooligans from interstate autoclubs too,
    wont cost much for a few days.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Alpha airport parking is cheap at GC.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thread Information