Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default More goat tracks to close

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/golf-courses-in-the-crosshairs-as-sydney-councils-seek-space-for-sporting-fields-and-parks-20170531-gwhs1m.html

I so support this approach to managing crap golf courses provided they remain as green open space, accessible to everyone. There's more than a few shitty tracks in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide that are being earmarked for the same.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Link not workin ct but I'd have a fair idea of which ones!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Losing any inner city golf facility is a significant loss to all involved, even if it isn't top tier quality.

You end up with clubs moving out to the end of the boondocks and struggling.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Nemo - use this link

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/...31-gwhs1m.html

Warringah, Eastlakes, Moore Park.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Member Teaching Pro

I just read the article. They do have plenty of courses north of the bridge and a lack of ovals. Reducing courses to 9 holes seems to be the popular compromise by non golfers. I don't know how Clover will go turning Moore Park into a 9 holer, Its the busiest course in Australia.

Reducing courses to 9 holes still gives new golfers a place to learn at a reasonable cost, which is mandatory if you don't want six hour rounds at your own course. However many club golfers and even social golf clubs don't consider 9 holes a proper golf course and trading suffers badly.

By 2100 golf in Australia will be a sport reserved only for the wealthy. I better change topic or I'll start ranting about the University carpark being full of expensive European cars lol. The middle class is shrinking every decade.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Golf courses use up too much land. Knocking some down to 9 holes seems like a good idea, except golf club members wouldn't consider anything less than 18 as a real course.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm calling BS on this one. It's a Herald beatup they trot out every year or so.

Someone at Fairfax doesn't like golf courses and keeps trying to fan the flames.

It is the genuine goat tracks that should be in the firing line. Places like Marrickville and Barnwell Park and Cammeray. But they never get a mention. It is always the SouthEast courses under threat (according to the media).
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Nemo - use this linkhttp://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/...31-gwhs1m.htmlWarringah, Eastlakes, Moore Park.
    Moore Park and eastlalkes to a certain extent will never close...

Banned

I love the statement from politicians that they want to close a golf course or part of one to make room for more green space. Have they looked at a golf course lately! How much more f$%kin green can you get!

As I've said before, seems stupid that they'll be shutting half a golf course to make way for fields (no doubt for majority of winter sports like soccer and football) that will be used primarily on weekends and week nights for only half the year. The golf course would be much busier than that!

Being a public, blue collar golf club, I doubt Warringah GC stands a chance to stay the way it is. At the end of the day, it will come down to who has the most money to fill up the councils pockets and I don't think Warringah GC is the club to buy themselves out of this one.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Seems like the north side course may be more at risk if there is a lack of other sporting facilities... which is kind of understandable as there seems a plethora of average little courses over there.

I think the eastern suburbs / south have much more facilities available and less golf courses so think it very unlikely this areas courses will change times. Marrickville would be my pick of courses most likely, south.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I'm calling BS on this one. It's a Herald beatup they trot out every year or so.

Someone at Fairfax doesn't like golf courses and keeps trying to fan the flames.

It is the genuine goat tracks that should be in the firing line. Places like Marrickville and Barnwell Park and Cammeray. But they never get a mention. It is always the SouthEast courses under threat (according to the media).
    I can tell you there are more goat tracks on the list than you would know about. It's a consistent message from all forms of gov that the value of the green space far out weighs the noise of spuds who care to frequent these shit holes. Moore Park will make a great arboretum, eastlakes a pump track, Hurstville a turd treatment plant, and Victoria Park a nature trail and Albert park a yoga retreat couldn't happen fast enough imho.

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

As a beginner it's nice having some cheap public courses to play at. I do like playing at nicer courses sometimes but at the same time I'm aware of my skill level and most of the nice courses are too difficult for me. I think if I was playing every round at nicer, more challenging courses golf would get pretty frustrating.

Can't trust the pollies, though.

Rip up a golf course, convert it to sporting fields... annex half the site 5 years later and flip it to Lendlease for 500 apartments.

Happening to Gordon Golf Club, too... Ku-ring-gai Council have rezoned it under their 'masterplan', i.e. apartments all over.

Sydney is a mess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    Sydney is a mess.
    Spot on Jerrymoo and its only gonna get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    Can't trust the pollies, though.

Rip up a golf course, convert it to sporting fields... annex half the site 5 years later and flip it to Lendlease for 500 apartments.

Happening to Gordon Golf Club, too... Ku-ring-gai Council have rezoned it under their 'masterplan', i.e. apartments all over.

Sydney is a mess.
    If it actually happens Warringah will have 9 holes but Gordon will be completely gone in 2023.

I'm as suspicious as you about it ending up as a regional park, I tried to read the Business Paper and Council Minutes and got SERVICE UNAVAILABLE.

One of my mates told me that they're also thinking about Mona Vale too as it's on public land.
    Last edited by pt73; 7th June 2017 at 11:17 AM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

This has been happening to golf courses for 400 years, and will continue to happen. Even St Andrews had part of its golf course claimed for expansion of the city.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Coldtopper View Post
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/golf-courses-in-the-crosshairs-as-sydney-councils-seek-space-for-sporting-fields-and-parks-20170531-gwhs1m.html

I so support this approach to managing crap golf courses provided they remain as green open space, accessible to everyone. There's more than a few shitty tracks in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide that are being earmarked for the same.
    run us through the Perth courses earmarked for the green space treatment
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    run us through the Perth courses earmarked for the green space treatment
    Hopefully his list starts with "The Vines".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Really? It was a while since I was there, but I have played plenty worse.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    They are building mini golf right now so things are looking up
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson View Post
    They are building mini golf right now so things are looking up
    Nuffie will be in heaven.

Thread Information