Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Tempur Mattresses

Who's got one?
    Pros, cons etc....
    I didn't play golf Sunday but went bed shopping with the missus.
    Tried all the tempur range and I'm bloody impressed.
    Exy though....

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

With all of the half price bedding sales etc, there must be a hell of a mark up on mattresses.

Member Teaching Pro

Log on to Sleep republic and get them to send you a mattress. They come in a box (I was sceptical). Best mattress I've ever had, free delivery and 3 month trial, refundable if you don't like it. Come over and try mine big fella 😉

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I just hit a pillow.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Capt, after years of sleeping on crap mattresses (including latex), futons, water beds (80s) etc, I finally got a tempur.

Wouldn't sleep on anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammon View Post
    Log on to Sleep republic and get them to send you a mattress. They come in a box (I was sceptical). Best mattress I've ever had, free delivery and 3 month trial, refundable if you don't like it. Come over and try mine big fella 😉
    Lol, I'll stay at your place after wed night!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I just hit a pillow.
    Your a ****ing lot of help as usual.

Member Teaching Pro

What do they cost? It's like looking up Ping clubs (See in store for pricing)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Gammon View Post
    What do they cost? It's like looking up Ping clubs (See in store for pricing)
    around 3k; they are very good but massive margins on the suckers; Harveys always have massive sales on them so expect at least 30% off

If I didn't have an ageing house to repair I would own one - particularly considering the shape of my spine

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    I just bite a pillow.
    Umm... okay.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Glad you think of me that way as I was wondering.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We have a Tempur. They are supposedly more suited to people that sleep on their backs, but I toss and turn a bit and haven't had issues. The downside is meant to be that they are a bit hotter, but you can always adjust the covering to compensate. You don't even know someone else is in the bed, especially if it is king size.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sleeping on my back wouldn't suit the wife much, obviously not a snorers mattress then

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Best thing I ever purchased for the bedroom...

I've had an AH Beard memory foam mattress for 10+ years and other than the 10K Swedish one we laid on a few years ago I haven't found anything that compares to it for comfort & stability. We got it on sale from Harvey Norman and it was around the 4k price range but sooooooooooooooo worth it.
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Just having a quick read of Tempur and maybe I am wrong but it sounds just like the normal "memory foam" types you see advertised around but sold through a retail store thus the price hike. As Toddy says I reckon you should trial one out through one of the online stores Ecosystem, Koala, Greywing even Ikea. I am sure in the end they are all much the same with slight tweaks on the materials they use. But the online stores obviously much cheaper.

The online stores also as he says offer 3month trials etc.

Again not sure if I am missing something with the Tempur but I'll share my experience. I researched a bit after a guy at work bought a grey wing and love it. After researching we ended up buying a Koala which is a Sydney mob. Got $100 off for some random reason and I think for a queen it cost about $850. I bought it at 1:30pm, and it was actually delivered at 3:30pm!! A little inconvenient as I requested it be delivered between 5-9 but luckily the wife got home just as the delivery guy was dumping it in the driveway.

Anyway it came in a box and we unpacked it and the mattress self expanded. and that night were able to use it. Our impressions:

- good for sleeping on back. Each morning I actually felt like I was taller and straighter when I got up.
    - great for less motion i.e. didn't notice other sleeper moving around so much. You've seen the adds were they jump on the mattress with the glass of wine on the bed. But if your frame moves you will still feel the other person rolling over etc. But was possibly the best advantage over our spring mattress.
    - wife found it quite hard for side sleeping, but I didn't notice so much. When you tend to try a mattress out you do tend to lay on your back but this is not necessarily how you sleep.
    - wife found it too hard for sex. Perhaps that was just an excuse she cam up with! But maybe I agreed in the end that it was harder on the hands knees for the person on top (This was maybe the biggest reason to get the old one back!)
    - I found it hot. I am a hot sleeper and found this hotter than our spring mattress. Admittedly it was over summer, but even towards the end of summer when had a few cooler nights, it was still hot. Wife didn't notice this so much.
    - Whilst I found it good for my back I also didn't feel like I slept the whole night. Felt like I was dreaming a lot and awake and each day felt much more tired than previously?? Again wife didn't experience this??
    - there is no real edge support. I am an edge sleeper usually as I am hot and trying to stay cool and often felt like I was falling out of bed due to lack of support.

Anyway We kept our old mattress handy and went through a 2 to 3 week period then would swap mattresses in order to really test it out, did this a few times and in the end we found that the old inner spring was actually a bit more comfortable all round and giving us a bit better sleep.
    So about 80 days in to the 100 day trial we rang, they organised to come and collect it and we got out money back. No fuss at all.

I can see that they could be good for some people. Especially sinlges. Would have no hesitation ordering one for the kids beds. Much more comfortable then their cheap spring mattresses and mate still loves his, but each to their own.

Anyway, just some ramblings. As I say maybe tempur is slightly different but if not could be worth checking out the online varieties for a trial period??
    Last edited by wazandnic; 30th May 2017 at 12:07 PM.

We went from an inner spring mattress to a memory foam mattress and at first the memory foam was heaven. A few months later, it was hell. Then we went to tempur. 10 years later it is still the best mattress we've ever had. Not for everyone probably but it suits us.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What is the difference between the standard memory foam and Tempur, Hard_Pan? I went straight to Tempur.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    What is the difference between the standard memory foam and Tempur, Hard_Pan? I went straight to Tempur.
    I'd be interested in this as well ???

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Tempur is the trademarked material and AFAIK they're not made anywhere in Australia. Tempurpedic are style of mattress offered by a large number of manufactures. Tempur originated from NASA technology originally and they branched out into other markets like mattresses which is why they're so expensive.
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wazandnic View Post
    - wife found it too hard for sex. Perhaps that was just an excuse she cam up with! But maybe I agreed in the end that it was harder on the hands knees for the person on top (This was maybe the biggest reason to get the old one back!)
    I've been waiting for the reviews to touch such a pertinent point.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

If you get an actual brochure its not just a foam etc...
    There's 3 firmness and wishing those another 3 levels!
    So really 9 different mattresses....!
    Last edited by Captain Nemo; 30th May 2017 at 02:45 PM.

The 'real deal' tempur is firmer and holds its shape. It also holds your shape without you sinking into it. I think that is the key to how it supports you. As I said, some may not like it because it is 'firm' but I think it's firm without being 'hard'.

The problem with the memory foam mattress was you sank into it so much so, you had trouble turning over. The mattress also began to sag and develop ruts where the wife and I slept. We called a rep at one point and he literally bounced all over the mattress telling us that was how to get the ruts out! There were many other issues. It was a terrible mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    If you get an actual brochure its not just a foam etc...
    There's 3 firmness and wishing those another 3 levels!
    So really 9 different mattresses....!
    Yeah but even the Koala touts 3 layers... I think the GreyWing 4 layers??

I think the technology of a lot of these memory foam mattresses has caught up. Early days they were just a piece of foam now there seems a whole lot more in them. Just my opinion but I reckon the major cost difference these days is how they sell... online V's bricks and mortar store??

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I've been waiting for the reviews to touch such a pertinent point.
    Pertinent indeed... don't want to provide another excuse to avoid it!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wazandnic View Post
    Pertinent indeed... don't want to provide another excuse to avoid it!
    Exactly. If it doesn't support and encourage a jolly good rodgering it's not a gamer.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information