Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default AndyP vs BrisWesty

As the fun begins in the Top 8 ...
    Will AndyP and BrisWesty bring their good Nudgee form, or their not so good Nudgee form to their clash (wherever it may be)?
    Stay tuned.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

i'm excited
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Big Kev levels?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

.. no, not that bad

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm tuned.

Westy, looks like we should start thinking about this, as a couple of other quarters are set for a date now.

Should we tie this in with a weekend that I am on the Coast? I'll be back there on the weekend of August 12-13, and I'm also thinking about playing Pacific Harbour on the 14th.

We could play somewhere like Woodford or Beerwah on the Sunday. Alternatively, we can plan it for a Brisbane course on a different weekend, where more OZgolfers might turn up.

Andy,

This couple of months is a bit of a pill. I qualified for our 4BBB matchplay champs and the first round starts tomorrow. I'm having to take the kiddies with me in the cart tomorrow because Alaina is working and our normal fall backs are all occupied too.

Alaina is also away at a camp on the weekend of the 12th August (which could also be the 4BBB match play semi-final if I qualify).

But don't think I'm letting you get away with a walkover.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

I think you're yella.

I'm sure we'll find a weekend before the end of August.
    Last edited by AndyP; 21st July 2006 at 05:32 PM.

Andy,

Now I'm out of the 4BBB matchplay at Caboolture, my weekends are a "little" more free.

Available this Saturday 5 August. Monthly Medal at Caboolture if you are interested. I'm OK to come to Nambour alternatively. An alternate alternative would be to play at a neutral venue.

I'm unavailable on the following dates in August: 6 (Sun), 12-15 (Sat-Tues), 19 (Sat).

EDIT: Sorry Andy, no longer available on 5 August. Lots going on in the BW household, and have been asked if I can not play. Given I'd put Alaina out pretty considerably due to 4BBB over the last couple of weeks, that's pretty fair.
    Last edited by BrisWesty; 31st July 2006 at 06:15 AM.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

I think we should go for a neutral venue that neither of us has had a match at yet.

Westy, would you consider playing Windaroo on Sunday the 20th of August with a social club? It's a bit of a drive, albeit all highway, but I'll stick a carrot in front of your nose by telling you that last time I played there I scored 103.

I might be pushing it with the missus, but is Ekka Holiday (16th) a possibility or don't you get that holiday in Caboolture shire?

Andy,
    I've put out the feelers to have a hit at Windaroo on the 20th.
    I don't get Ekka holiday on the 16th, that happens here on the 14th, but Pacific Harbour is a once a year effort (ie champs) at $50.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by BrisWesty
    Andy,
    I've put out the feelers to have a hit at Windaroo on the 20th.
    I don't get Ekka holiday on the 16th, that happens here on the 14th, but Pacific Harbour is a once a year effort (ie champs) at $50.
    Wish I had known that the 14th was a holiday for you, as I could have easily organised the PH for 15th instead. Oh well! Hope you can make the 20th at Windaroo.

Andy,
    Windaroo on the 20th is a goer.
    What time are you anticipating for tee off etc?
    Any others interested in coming along for the ride?
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

It is at 6:28am (nice and early), and is $30 + cart.

I guess I'll put an entry in the 1st tee forum for the round.

Don't book me in for a cart. See you then.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

Congrats Westy. When Golflink updates, you'll have another shot on me. So unless you plan on having a reduction in the next week, it will be a 3 shot difference. A couple of weeks ago, the difference was only one.

Preparation checklist for OZgolf matchplay:

Don't drink in excess.........Negative
    Go to bed early......Negative
    Avoid bad omens like playing shit golf on a Playstation.......Negative

I'm all set.

at least the hawks won
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

sooooooo, what the hell happened ??????????????

goughy

I thought you played today j-man??

i did, and i know the result.

i just wanna hear it from one of the guys involved in it

The clash of the Tight-uns at Windaroo! I'd never played there so didn't know what to expect. OK, so here's the hole by hole run down!

10 Par 4 AndyP goes right over the bunker, on in regulation. BrisWesty on the fairway but misses the green chips on and 2 putts. AP 2 putts for par and 1 up.

11 Par 3 AP on the green in regulation (again) to about 10m, BW goes under the breeze (what breeze) with a skinny iron and chips on from the front of the green then 2 putts for bogey. AP goes past the hole with his first putt and lips out his second putt. Not a happy camper. A pair of bogeys, but AP could have been 2 up.

12 Par 5 AP finds trouble to the right, BW down the middle. AP has a dirty hole for a double bogey, BW on the green in regulation and 2 putts for par. All square.

13 Par 5 - The first hole AP has to give away a stroke. BW makes him feel better about it by leaking his drive into the lake. Being short BW can’t see the green for his fourth and has a Macca moment by standing on his buggy seat. It doesn’t help, he still can't see it, and he eventually double bogeys the hole. AP is just off the green to the left for 3, but does himself no favours by leaving his first texas wedge short, then 2 putting for a bogey 6. All square.

14 Par 4 BW overcooks his drive into the trees on the left, AP plays safe, and both leave their second short of the green. BW chips to about a metre, AP lips out (oh no, that’s twice) and bogeys. BW drains the putt for par and the lead.

15 Par 3 (more like a Par 2) BW fails to rein in his strength and goes over the back. AP plays safely onto the front of the green. BW then plays like a wuss and chips just onto the green and then lives in fear of the slope behind the hole putting short, short and finally into the hole for a 3 putt double bogey. AP harbours no such fears and lags his first putt just past the hole but also 3 putts. All square again.

16 Par 4 AP goes right of the fairway, BW goes up the middle, both hit poorish second shots, and then go left of the green, chip on and two putt to halve the hole with double bogeys. A most forgettable visit to snake valley.

17 Par 4 Another shot to BW. Both in the fairway, AP smokes his second to about 10m from the hole while BW dithers until chips his 4th close to the hole for a tap in. AP leaves his first putt short but sinks a nervy little breaking putt for par. Still square. A really wierd hole. I've never seen a double dogleg par 4 before!

18 Par 4 AP goes in the fairway bunker. BW continues to stalk him by going in the same pot. BW gets out well, AP hits the face of the bunker with the hybrid but escapes. Both chip on to about 5m and 2 putt for bogeys. All square at the turn.

Neither of us were particularly thrilled with our play thus far, but there’s always another 9.

1 Par 5 AP stripes his down the guts. BW takes his off the heel, but still made the fairway. BW hit his next one fat but it went about 100m. AP continues playing the hole solidly, straight down the middle again. BW pulls out 3 wood, tugs it left, through the front left bunker and out onto the grass between the two left bunkers. (Miracle shot, do it again!) AP remains unfazed by this and goes on in regulation about 5m below the hole. BW chips to about 3m above the hole. AP putts, it looks good, he’s got the fist ready for the birdie pump and the bl!@#$ ball lips out again. Tap in for par. BW drains the breaking downhill putt to whip the wind out of AP’s sails. Still square. (BW never deserved to square the hole.)

2 Par 4 Good drives by both players. BW goes long and left for 2, while AP leaves his second just short of the green. BW chips well to about 2m, AP gets in the hole for a bogey and turns away waiting for the sound of BW’s par. BW’s putt slides right of the hole. A gettable putt wasted. Still square.

3 Par 5 The last piece of handicap charity from AP, who then proceeds to dunk his ball in the lake to the right. BW goes up the centre, and then almost makes the green in 2 on the par 5. AP goes left into the bunker for 3, escapes and 2 putts for 6, but it doesn’t matter because BW plays regulation golf to par the hole. BW 1 up with 6 to play.

4 Par 4 Both BW and AP hit down the left side, AP just misses the green to the left, BW flirts with the right front bunker but is on in regulation. BW lags a good putt, AP putts on and leaves himself with a testing putt to come back, but is up to it. BW sinks his 2nd putt. Pars all round. 1 up.

5 Downhill par 3. BW is on in regulation but about 10m behind the hole. AP is just short in front of the green but closer to the hole. Both make safe pars, and the match remains locked at 1 up.

6 Short par 4. BW has a rush of blood and hits a wild slice into the lake. AP’s eyes light up and he takes a nice easy 5 iron down the middle. BW takes his drop at the waters edge and proceeds to be distracted (both times on the address) by Jono and Jarro who drown their balls in the lake on the 7th. Eventually hacks the ball up near the green, hacks some more and ends up with a 2 putt double bogey. AP has no such misfortune and racks up a steady par. All square again.

7 Par 3 Both AP and BW end left of the green (must have both had hydrophobia). BW chips past the change in grade and the ball runs to about 2m. AP leaves his first shot way short (about 8-10m). BW’s thinking “the only way AP can hurt me here is if he holes this putt.” AP didn’t really want to hurt BW, so the putt lipped out instead. BW missed his putt and the hole was halved with bogeys.

8 Par 4 AP went way right into the scrub, BW went way left into the trees. BW then decided to play safe hitting over the trees but went shorter and righter of the green than intended. AP took a drop and then hit short and left of the green. AP couldn’t do much with his next shot courtesy of a poorly sited cart path. BW made the green with a delicate lob wedge over the bunker. AP putted on and 2 putted for triple bogey. BW hit two gentle putts for a bogey to make sure of the 1 up with 1 to play.

9 Par 4 BW went left, AP went straight down the middle. Both about 95 out. BW had the ball below his feet and airmailed a skinny wedge right over the green. AP put his approach to about 3m. BW eventually found his ball about 40m over the back and lobbed a wedge back onto the green. The 10m putt looked good for about the first 8m and then just slid off line. Sunk the 2nd putt for bogey. AP made sure of his par and the match was tied after 18.

Off to the 19th (10th again). AP won the toss and hit into the bunker. BW was straight down the middle. AP took his hybrid into the bunker and hit it into the front face; it only just popped it out, then he had to hit it from a difficult stance with his feet still in the bunker to about 40m which was a great effort in itself. BW hit just short of the green for 2. AP chipped on to about 3m for his 4th. BW chipped on and his ball lipped the cup to end up 2m past the hole. AP sunk the putt for bogey, his first 1 putt for the day! BW missed the downhill putt for par and then hit a wussy little putt back up the hill that never got near the hole for his 2nd 3 putt.

Game over. Win to AndyP, who felt quite hollow about winning like that. That said we both played some pretty good golf, and some pretty ordinary stuff too. If AndyP had holed some of the 6 shots that hit the lip and came out, the match would have been over much earlier!

All the best for the next round AndyP. If you have a good round with the putter you'll kick butt. Thanks Wayne and Cameron for the game as well. Do come again. I'd like to play Windaroo off the tips next time, it felt a little strange playing off the ladies tees (and still not playing to handicap)
    AndyP 86/75 BrisWesty 89/75.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

nice wrapup Westy.

.. but i never drowned my ball on the 7th

Thanks for the match today, Westy. It felt like we were playing ordinary golf, but in hindsight it wasn't that bad at all, particularly the second nine. I think I was too absorbed in what was a great match to notice we were travelling okay.
    We halved 12 of the holes, and noone led by more than one, so it really was a close tussle.

I was telling the lads in the car on the way home that I was looking forward to your match rundown, and you haven't let me down. It's as accurate as you can be, when you're not watching my shots the whole time.

If AndyP had holed some of the 6 shots that hit the lip and came out, the match would have been over much earlier!
    Those lipouts I had definitely were frustrating, which is obvious from the fact that I was counting them, which probably isn't a good thing to do in a match. What if this, what if that, just gotta move on from these things.

1 Par 5...............BW drains the breaking downhill putt to whip the wind out of AP’s sails. Still square. (BW never deserved to square the hole.)
    Squaring the hole on 1 really did screw with me a bit, as I played a really good hole, without the reward of that birdie putt dropping. I still managed to get off the next tee okay.

Fortunately, I had a couple of other really good holes as well. But unfortunately for you, they were ordinary on your part.
    On both 6 and 9 (last hole, 1 down), I played great approaches, after great T-shots, and had gettable birdie putts. I just didn't need them, so didn't go too hard.

Off to the 19th (10th again). AP won the toss and hit into the bunker. BW was straight down the middle. AP took his hybrid into the bunker and hit it into the front face; it only just popped it out, then he had to hit it from a difficult stance with his feet still in the bunker to about 40m which was a great effort in itself. BW hit just short of the green for 2. AP chipped on to about 3m for his 4th. BW chipped on and his ball lipped the cup to end up 2m past the hole. AP sunk the putt for bogey, his first 1 putt for the day! BW missed the downhill putt for par and then hit a wussy little putt back up the hill that never got near the hole for his 2nd 3 putt.
    No doubt that I felt hollow about winning in that fashion. I was also just plain shocked, but I guess that's matchplay. I felt I'd already played my own playoff hole on the last to comeback to all square, thinking we'd just do it all another day. Of course, playing an extra hole was the most practicle solution and the hole was open. I just wasn't "ready" for it.

On the playoff hole, in my mind I'd just about conceded after my third shot, especially considering some of your up and down form. Managed to pull my head in and hit a great pitch shot and finally nab a putt. I thought that might apply enough pressure to give me a chance of squaring the hole, not winning it.

Thanks for the company today, Cameron, Westy and notlob, I had a good time.
    Last edited by AndyP; 20th August 2006 at 05:32 PM.

What a tight game. Well played guys. Bad luck Westy and big congratulations and a big sloppy kiss to you AP. Well done!!!!!!!!!!
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Thread Information