Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Default NSW Far South Coast - Tura Beach, Merimbula, Bega GC

Just returned from a weekend on the NSW Far South Coast, playing Tura Beach, Pambula-Merimbula and Bega GC.

Merimbula is around 6 hours drive from Sydney, 7 hours from Melbourne and about 3 hours from Canberra.

Tura Beach GC - Par 73 - Thompson Wolveridge design. Tura Beach CC is located 5km north of Merimbula, sand based. Clubhouse sits atop a hill, offering sweeping views over the course to the ocean. The greens are large with some massive internal contours and tiering, the course style is modern and condition was exemplary. The greens ran at 12.5, and were firm on the approach - they took some getting used to from my normal soft, bumpy dartboards. The course drops down the hill on 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 played next to the beach where the sounds of the ocean are an ever present. 5 is a 190m par 3 off the tips, with a 175m carry - a large bail out area left is not obvious from the tee, but would be used by the majority of the older age group membership. 6 is a strange par 5, where a forced layup looks the play, but a blind tiger line with 220m carry is there for the long bombers. 7 and 8 zig zag back up the hill with both playing longer than their yardage, with 9 being a short 3 over a gully to in front of the clubhouse.

10 again rises up the hill, with a semi-blind tee shot and far more room that expected once you arrive at the landing area. 11 is a drive over a gully to a ridge, with a blind second over the hill to a green guarded by a pond short right. Three sensible shots should see anyone having a putt for 4, but a funky green means birdies are difficult. The rest of the course heads up and down, with the 16th being a 430m 5 straight down the hill giving a chance to rescue a score.

Overall, its a difficult walking course, and most players cart - the fit have electric buggies. Is it a great course? No? Is it a memorable course - yes. What does is remind me of? A little bit of Portsea, a little bit of Mollymook Hilltop.

Pambula Merimbula - 27 hole course. We played 1-18, which was dryest after 100mm of rain the night before. Pambula Merimbula is a far shorter and on paper easier course than Tura. A much easier walk, the course is on rolling sandy terrain. 1 to 9 are parkland style, with relatively short holes, softer but still difficult greens. Most greens slope towards the water of Merimbula Bay, with no flat holes. Each tee shot requires accuracy, but can be easily played by all ages and abilities, catering to the old aged membership and significant summer tourist trade. Highlights are the short 4s - 1 (280m), 5 (about 320) and 8 (about 310) for mine.
    Holes 10-18 wind through old forest, with fairways lined with 50m tall gum trees. The land again has a bit of movement, and the course provides risk and reward to those willing to take a chance. Highlights include the short 13th and 14th - 600m of par 4's where 2 4s are excellent scores.

Its 'easier' than the brutal Tura, but great fun never the less. Well worth a round if you are in the neighbourhood.

Bega GC - 20 minutes north of Merimbula is Bega GC. Its 15k inland, and feels like a country course rather than a rural course. The course is 70+ years old, and has the typical small greens with significant internal slope, tall and majestic gum trees and relatively short holes. Each hole plays longer than the card though - most drives land on upslopes, and the thick kikuyu kills any roll. The front 9 is up and back to the clubhouse, going up and down the hill, with a creek cutting in front of the 1st and 3rd greens, and the water having to be hit over the 2nd and 4th. The back 9 has the highlights - 10, 13, 14 and 17 are all interesting holes and a good way to finish up.

Not a great track, but an honest one. Heavily over treed though, but the trees are the courses character. Don't go out of your way to play here, but if you are in the area on holidays, its worth a round if you don't want the crowds at Merimbula and Tura. As an aside, Neale Smith (USPGA Tour school champ in 92) grew up playing here...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I like the sound of Tura Beach, due to the beachside holes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I like the sound of Tura Beach, due to the beachside holes.
    Listening to the waves crash for a few holes is something an inlander like myself is unused to. Its great - you smell the ocean as you are playing.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

I'm a sucker for a bit of good aesthetics. I enjoyed being at Narooma, even though it was a 3hr drive from Canberra, it pissed down rain for half of the round, and I drove back soaked.

The next installment is this weekend. Bermagui, Narooma, Moruya.

Its been 5 plus years since I played the full 18 at Narooma, 25 years+ since Moruya, and Bermagui will be a new track.

Chopperlink

WITB

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Bermagui will test your fitness unless you wimp out and get a cart.

There is one long uphill hole, and another very steep hill to climb on a different hole.

The course itself is nothing special (particularly compared to Narooma, which is special). My most vivid memory of my one visit (apart from the hills) is of a really vicious pair of plovers on the 10th tee. I don't think it is plover season yet, so you should be OK on that front.

As for Moruya, it is even less special, except for the fantastic double green on 9 and 18.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Have played Narooma , thought it was pretty good

Bermi 100% recips as well I think Benno.

Narooma is a cracking track just keep on the fairway.

Moruya is a challenging course with more doglegs than you can poke a stick at. Don’t hook it out of bounds on 1!

Quote Originally Posted by dannycallaz View Post
    Bermi 100% recips as well I think Benno.

Narooma is a cracking track just keep on the fairway.

Moruya is a challenging course with more doglegs than you can poke a stick at. Don’t hook it out of bounds on 1!
    Thanks Danny, good to see you back. We have 100% at Bermi, 50% at Narooma. And I haven't missed a fairway left in 6 months. I reckon this weekend is the time to snap hook OOB at both Narooma and Moruya!

Talking to a few blokes over the last couple of weekends, Bermi is challenging - fast greens with lots of movement, and ground without much run so holes play longer than they look on the card.

Weather looks perfect

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Thanks Danny, good to see you back. We have 100% at Bermi, 50% at Narooma. And I haven't missed a fairway left in 6 months. I reckon this weekend is the time to snap hook OOB at both Narooma and Moruya!Talking to a few blokes over the last couple of weekends, Bermi is challenging - fast greens with lots of movement, and ground without much run so holes play longer than they look on the card.Weather looks perfect
    Better take some golf balls that float if you hit hooks at Narooma, 2nd and 3 rd in particular

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've played all 3 courses quite a bit. Tura is much much more interesting than pambula merimbula. I'd play Bega over it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Bermagui will test your fitness unless you wimp out and get a cart.

There is one long uphill hole, and another very steep hill to climb on a different hole.

The course itself is nothing special (particularly compared to Narooma, which is special). My most vivid memory of my one visit (apart from the hills) is of a really vicious pair of plovers on the 10th tee. I don't think it is plover season yet, so you should be OK on that front.

As for Moruya, it is even less special, except for the fantastic double green on 9 and 18.
    Thanks for your positive assessment Jim. I'm glad you weren't invited, but you do sound like the life of the party.

This weekend is about remembering a best mate and former Ozgolf poster and player Blue Scooter, not about ticking off Top 100 tracks.

Chopperlink

WITB

Thanks for your positive assessment Jim. I'm glad you weren't invited, but you do sound like the life of the party.This weekend is about remembering a best mate and former Ozgolf poster and player Blue Scooter, not about ticking off Top 100 tracks.
    Lolz

Bermagui Golf Club

Played there yesterday in perfect conditions. Sunny, 20sish, next to no wind.

Course was in immaculate conditon, with kikuyu tees and fairways and fast bent greens as good as any surface I have putted on.

The course starts on the tidal flats, then moves into some quite hilly and rolling land. Many of the tee shots were to blind landing areas at the top of hills, leaving mid to short irons in to clearly visible targets. One thing we noticed was very few of the par 4s had the green visible from the tee.

The difficult land is used well, making for a few heroic shots. There is water to be carried or avoided on a number of holes, but none of us lost a ball for the day. Greens had a ton of movement, where a 10m putt was almost a certain 3 putt if you were above the hole. I know, I 3 jagged 4 holes in a row by being out of position/above the hole.

We played off the blacks, which had a course rating of 73 and a slope of 133.

I will definately be back, it was a really challenging and interesting course.

We tee off at Narooma in a hour, a perennial top 100 track with some of the best views in the country

Chopperlink

WITB

Narooma GC.

Top 100 in Aus for a reason. Would probably be higher if it wasnt so far away from Sydney or Melbourne.

9 holes across cliff tops, 9 holes in an old forest around a couple of tidal lakes.

Its full of spectacular vistas, heroic carries for the brave, and some really interesting shots.

Holes 1 to 7 and 17 and 18 are the original 9. No rough, very fee trees and tiny greens. Highlights are 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the front.

8 to 16 is away from the clubhouse, with the climb up 10 being rewarded with a great fun drive on 11...

Well worth the round if you are in the neighbourhood. Highly recommended

Chopperlink

WITB

Moruya Golf Course.

Lots of blind creeks, 90 degree doglegs, uninteresting greens and a course thats not worth going out of your way to play.

But its honest, the greena were immaculate, its presented well and able to be played by all ages and skill levels.

Best holes. 7 and 16 are both strong, with the double doglog 8th being the best 5 on the course.

The highlight is the enormous double green for 9 and 18. Its would have to be 65m by 65m, with a giant ridge running down the middle of it. See video...https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b0bbb2a...115059_400.mp4

Chopperlink

WITB

Benno, resurrected this one, figuring we might not be able to get interstate shortly. I'm keen to do a south coast trip. I've never been past Mollymook and so disappointingly have never played Narooma which I intend to rectify.

Couple of questions for you or anyone with some knowledge of the area.

Assuming we do 3 games, Narooma on the way back to Sydney, stay in Merimbula and play Tura Beach and Pambula-Merimbula? If we stayed an extra day, would you repeat on the two courses mentioned or venture elsewhere. Any advice on where to eat/drink in town, presume if we stay within walking distance of the RSL that would be reasonably central.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Pambula-Merimbula has 27 holes, so there is enough variation to keep your interest for another day, particularly if you combined it with Tathra, which is one of the better 9 hole tracks you'll find anywhere. If your party likes kangaroos, all those courses will impress them. Maybe P-M had more kangaroos than any course I've ever seen.

The RSL in Merimbula is pretty good. Originally sustained by Vic visitors back in the pre-pokie days, so it is a bit more substantial than your usual country town RSL. So is P-M golf club for that matter.
    Last edited by jimandr; 12th July 2020 at 08:44 PM.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Catalina at Batemans Bay?

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Pambula-Merimbula has 27 holes, so there is enough variation to keep your interest for another day, particularly if you combined it with Tathra, which is one of the better 9 hole tracks you'll find anywhere. If your party likes kangaroos, all those courses will impress them. Maybe P-M had more kangaroos than any course I've ever seen.The RSL in Merimbula is pretty good. Originally sustained by Vic visitors back in the pre-pokie days, so it is a bit more substantial than your usual country town RSL. So is P-M golf club for that matter.
    Everything Jim said is right.It's a big hike from the north shore to Merimbula!Bermagui is also a bit of a hidden gem, some of the purest, fastest greens I have played on.So if you are down there 4 days, Tura is mean, Merimbula is a retirees track which won't beat you up, Bermi will gets your game and Narooma is just magic.If you didn't want to extend down to Merimbula, Catalina is another retirees resort course but I haven't played there in a decade, and Hilltop at Mollymook is great.I haven't played Eden but heard it's great, and if I never play Bega, Moruya and Nowra again I wouldn't be sad.

Chopperlink

WITB

Cheers lads.

AndyP: I have been past Mollymook because I've played at Catalina but have absolutely no idea why I would have been in Batemans Bay. My only recollection was that the members do most of the work and it was flat.
    Jim: the tip on kangaroos won't impress one of the boys, if its not feral cats, wombats, foxes, its kangaroos ruining things on the farm
    WB: the Bermagui might work, leave Merimbula, play Bermagui and overnight in Narooma.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Inspiring thread, despite living in Canberra I haven't played any South Coast courses since 1997! That was Catalina, Moruya and Narooma. Closest I have been was playing at Braidwood a few years back.

Where do you guys stay when you head down that way?

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    WB: the Bermagui might work, leave Merimbula, play Bermagui and overnight in Narooma.
    It's not sandbelt, nor top 100, but it's better than your average country track.

Chopperlink

WITB

I agree, it is an impressive course from a scenic perspective. However, for a keen club golfer, or a lowho, it is blind shot riddled. I don't enjoy approaching a pin I cannot see, even when the scenery is good.
    Narooma GC.Top 100 in Aus for a reason. Would probably be higher if it wasnt so far away from Sydney or Melbourne.9 holes across cliff tops, 9 holes in an old forest around a couple of tidal lakes.Its full of spectacular vistas, heroic carries for the brave, and some really interesting shots.Holes 1 to 7 and 17 and 18 are the original 9. No rough, very fee trees and tiny greens. Highlights are 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the front.8 to 16 is away from the clubhouse, with the climb up 10 being rewarded with a great fun drive on 11...Well worth the round if you are in the neighbourhood. Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Putter View Post
    I agree, it is an impressive course from a scenic perspective. However, for a keen club golfer, or a lowho, it is blind shot riddled. I don't enjoy approaching a pin I cannot see, even when the scenery is good.
    Blind shot riddled?2 has a skyline green.4 is a blind drive. 5 has a semi blind 2nd.7 may be bring for your second if you don't hit a good tee shot.But it's only blind the first time you play it.

Chopperlink

WITB

Thread Information