Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: S.o.o. 2018.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Agreed NSW need to adopt Qld culture of:1. Absolute and unshakable belief that they will win, regardless of who's in their team, who's in the opposing team or the current score line
    Correct.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Major Winner

....and that it's okay to wear purple
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Date changed, Budvar cold and ready to roll. Not feeling incredibly confident but will cheer the boys all the way.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

QLD paying $3.10. Had to have a go at those odds. And looks like game is only on 9

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Good odds in a 2 horse race...
    NSW will find a way to **** it up.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Good odds in a 2 horse race...
    NSW will find a way to **** it up.
    There is one more game before the Series can be won, so you may still be right, Nemo. We have looked like winners after the first game a few times in recent years, only to be disappointed at the end.

Two things I noticed. Firstly, maybe you only really notice how good people were when they aren't there. Ben Hunt didn't do a lot except kick mid-field bombs, Morgan wasn't a threat from full-back, and Qld had nothing from dummy half. I don't think McCullough ran the ball himself at all.

Secondly, Teddy was a threat every time he had the ball.

Actually there was one other thing. There were hardly any penalties. But that wasn't a good thing. It meant the play was bogged down in midfield most of the night, which also explains why there were so many midfield bombs.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Better team won. QLD lacked spark in attack and missed way too many tackles.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Better team won. QLD lacked spark in attack and missed way too many tackles.
    I tend to agree.

However, this is quite literally the first SOO I haven't fallen asleep on the couch half way through in a couple of years, so that has to count for something.
    Last edited by henno; 7th June 2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: autocorrect

Is there a forward pass rule in league? I was channel hopping and turned over just as they scored the last try and it looked to me like it was thrown forward by a guy running sideways - fairly obvious because of the 10m line. Yet none of the commentators mentioned it at all, and the video review didn't even look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Is there a forward pass rule in league? I was channel hopping and turned over just as they scored the last try and it looked to me like it was thrown forward by a guy running sideways - fairly obvious because of the 10m line. Yet none of the commentators mentioned it at all, and the video review didn't even look at it?
    The bunker can't rule on forward passes.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Nein were on a real go soft tour de force last night. Not much talk or debate over the strip, the foward pass or the knee. 10m line right there, touchie right there but nup.

Onto the next game. Scott in and Ponga to fullback if Slater isn't fit still. The boys did pretty well on the whole. I can't see Chambers missing that many tackles next tme out. Tedesco, Cook, Ado-Carr and Mitchell took a helluva lot of stopping last night. Swap the fullbacks and we probably would have won. Tedesco was unreal.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Ben Hunt had an opportunity to make this Qld team his own and all he managed to do was his best impersonation of Mitchell Pearce. He went missing when the game was on the line. Only time he seemed to get the ball in his hands was on the last for the kick. As Petey made mentioned Qld lacked spark in attack and that comes back to the halfback. What made Thurston and Cronk so good was they demanded the ball when the game was in the balance.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Blog Entries

Its also hard to get time for stuff when the props just dont have the go forward. The stats were awful. I hope they bring Scott back in.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I thought Hunt had a good game, welcome to our world QLD

Crickets,
    QLD spirit out the window “ sack Hunt , Sack Wallace , sack em all “
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 driver proforce V2 STaylorMade 2016 M2 3 woodMizuno mp fli-hi 21*Mizuno mp h4 4-pw KBS c-taper lite 105 rTitleist sm4 50, 54* & 58* Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider cs

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

This won yet....?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    I thought Hunt had a good game, welcome to our world QLD
    So much deja vu.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Blog Entries

Haha. One of the best games to watch I have seen. NSW played tough and deserved to win.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

I applaud my Qld supporting friends for their restraint in not blowing up completely over the penalty try. If the opposite had occurred we would be considering boycotting Game 3 in protest.

I thought it was 'probably' a pen try, but probably isn't good enough, so I think we were lucky. But, NSW has been on the rough end of so many unlucky losses in recent years that we will enjoy this one.

Talk of a new dynasty is very premature, though. A lucky 4 point win is not the foundation for a run of series victories, but the Qld fallout will be interesting. Will they panic, or will they have faith, except for Ben Hunt?
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I applaud my Qld supporting friends for their restraint in not blowing up completely over the penalty try. If the opposite had occurred we would be considering boycotting Game 3 in protest.

I thought it was 'probably' a pen try, but probably isn't good enough, so I think we were lucky. But, NSW has been on the rough end of so many unlucky losses in recent years that we will enjoy this one.

Talk of a new dynasty is very premature, though. A lucky 4 point win is not the foundation for a run of series victories, but the Qld fallout will be interesting. Will they panic, or will they have faith, except for Ben Hunt?
    There won't be any panic at all Jim. Hunt may or may not go, there's not many options. The team played well and truly good enough to win excepting some poor kicks and underwhelming choices when Roberts was off. It was a fantastic effort against big odds.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Blog Entries

I think the penalty try was lucky, Gagai was coming in from outside and clocked off when Cordner fell over. But I was happy enough when they awarded it. Still can't work out how they overruled Gagai's first 'try'. There was clear footage of the ball down prior to hitting the line I thought. It came down to a bit of poor execution from Qld and a hell of a game from NSW. Apparently everyone wants to lynch Hunt, but if that kick settles its a try as there was no fullback. Just a bit daft doing it on 3rd tackle.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think given the ball bounced up it was a "clear" penalty try, it doesn't have to be 100%.

The behaviour of taking players out running through means you give up your rights, I'm happy for more to be awarded. As well as a try, the offending player gets 10 mins.

The Gagai "no try" should have been awarded but again highlighted that a coin in the air would get it as right as a referee who is forced into making a decision they are not in a position to make.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Ref awarded try, too inconclusive to take it away from them.

Who cares, go Aussies!

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Great win from the Blues!! Twice in this series they have given up leads and Qld was all over them from long stretches in both games, but they held on. Awesome effort to defend with 12 men to seal the series win in Game 2. I'm sure if Qld did this ppl will be banging about the Qld Spirit!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post

I thought it was 'probably' a pen try, but probably isn't good enough, so I think we were lucky.

Why? It was clearly a penalty try, to not award it would have been the wrong decision. The only point of contention was if Hunt was going to cop 10mins on the sidelines as well. I wouldn't call it a lucky win.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Just realised I'm in Brisbane for Game 3 so I've decided I'm getting tickets.

Thread Information