Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Ipswich Golf Club vs Sandy Gallop

Not sure if this is the right section to be posting this in, but I'm looking at getting back into playing again after a few years off. Recently bought a house in Ipswich, and I'm looking at local options. Anyone got a view on both Ipswich golf club (which is about 5-10 mins away from me) and Sandy Gallop, which is at the end of my street.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is Karana Downs an option as well? It is linked to Sandy Gallop too, isn't it?

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Yeah if you join at Karana downs you get membership at kd and sandy as well. And kd is cheap as chips is like $45 a month for both courses.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

End of the street is hard to pass up. Haven't played Sandy though. Played Ipswich not long after the course was changed and did not like it much. Probably worth another go now that it has grown in. It was going to close at one stage, I guess they managed to keep it going.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    End of the street is hard to pass up. Haven't played Sandy though. Played Ipswich not long after the course was changed and did not like it much. Probably worth another go now that it has grown in. It was going to close at one stage, I guess they managed to keep it going.
    It did close for down for 18 months or so. A Terry Morris (Sirromet) syndicate eventually bought it off the bank and reopened it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Seriously considering Sandy gallop. It comes with KD as a joint membership. Working nights means I'll be able to walk over and play a few rounds/holes midweek too. Looks to be a fairly tight course which should make me focus on accuracy rather than my old spray and pray method that somehow worked in the past.
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

Has anyone played Ipswich recently? Condition > Walkability these days? Brisbane Vets are down to play there in a couple of weeks and I am assessing whether I will bother to make the drive up there.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Has anyone played Ipswich recently? Condition > Walkability these days? Brisbane Vets are down to play there in a couple of weeks and I am assessing whether I will bother to make the drive up there.
    I've been hearing that because of the rain, all of the nasty parts are even nastier, which means lost balls.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I played pennants there a few weeks ago, it was raining that day so was boggy, but certainly playable. Great grass coverage on fairways, greens looks good but were a bit bumpy. Given the weather we've had the last few weeks, I'd expect it to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    I played pennants there a few weeks ago, it was raining that day so was boggy, but certainly playable. Great grass coverage on fairways, greens looks good but were a bit bumpy. Given the weather we've had the last few weeks, I'd expect it to be pretty good.
    Thanks BYU. How does it compare to Sandy Gallop? I have played the new Ipswich when it was first built, but I have never played SG.

Thanks BYU. How does it compare to Sandy Gallop? I have played the new Ipswich when it was first built, but I have never played SG.
    Ipswich is the more interesting layout, IMO (although maybe that's because I play SG all the time). Ipswich is longer. SG greens are better. If Sirromet put more money into it, Ipswich would be the better course. I think Sandy has a bigger membership - and a great pro shop.
    Last edited by BobsYourUncle; 8th November 2022 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Ipswich is the more interesting layout, IMO (although maybe that's because I play SG all the time). Ipswich is longer. SG greens are better. If Sirromet put more money into it, Ipswich would be the better course. I think Sandy has a bigger membership - and a great pro shop.
    Terry is a keen Golfer (a Grand member), but i think he/they bought the course mainly to establish it as a Sporting Club venue. The problem with the Ipswich course imo, was they (the old Club) got diddled by the developer on the land swap and ended up with a lot of poor, flood prone acreage that keeps "giving". That and some of the silly "Championship" holes Grady built, which are poorly suited to a members course. Add a lack of cart paths for a place that is extremely hot in summer and it was always going to fail. I can't see how you could fix it now without spending a lot of dollars.

Terry is a keen Golfer (a Grand member), but i think he/they bought the course mainly to establish it as a Sporting Club venue. The problem with the Ipswich course imo, was they (the old Club) got diddled by the developer on the land swap and ended up with a lot of poor, flood prone acreage that keeps "giving". That and some of the silly "Championship" holes Grady built, which are poorly suited to a members course. Add a lack of cart paths for a place that is extremely hot in summer and it was always going to fail. I can't see how you could fix it now without spending a lot of dollars.
    +1 to all that. I miss the old course, that's where I learned to play golf. I still can't believe they didn't keep the old 17th hole.

Member Teaching Pro

Ipswich is Shit and their doing their green Reno's this week. Struggled to get the greens in a half decent condition since the dollar spot.
    Sandy did their greens last week and they were still better than Ipswich greens before they were done.

I played Ipswich with the Vets yesterday. 35C and a hot westerly was fun!

They had done some work since I last played there. There were more concrete cart paths laid, but generally is was dirt and gravel. There was a lot of evidence of big damage from flooding. Bridges and paths washed out in lots of places. The bunkers are generally in poor condition and seemed to be where to Roos sleep at night. Quite a few have been let grow over as well. The fairways were pretty ordinary. Thankfully Preferred Lies was in play.

The green had recovered somewhat from the coring, given it was only a couple of weeks ago they were done. But I don't think I made anything inside 5 feet. I played OK Tee to Green, but it was two putts per green for most of the day.

The RAAF Jets were in full roar at Amberley, just behind the course. You can feel the ground shaking as they smash the sound barrier. I don't recall them flying when I have played there previously.

Thread Information