Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Default Vision golf balls

Thought I would start at new thread as I know a few members are playing or testing the new vision balls.

I've now bought 60 brand new balls from Boz directly. I was lucky enough to receive a few to test a few weeks ago and I've loved them so I ordered a heap.

These are my honest opinions and I hope all others will do the same. Yes, they are a good deal, but if I thought they were rubbish I wouldn't bother taking the time to post about them.

The vision red protour X is the ball I've been playing most. It's a Urethene covered ball with a VERY bright white cover. Soft feel, a lot like a Z star in terms of feel and spin.

Pro's: very white cover stays white even after 18 holes. Spins as much as a Z star in all areas. Seems to move less in the air off the longer clubs, very straight. Great feel off all clubs.

Cons: you can't mark them with a pen due to the lacquer / cover material, you need to mark them the night before (but no one else I've played with plays them so easy to know what ball is yours). Markings at the moment have the ball name and alignment which I don't like, but I believe this will change to just one. No numbers just shapes, again this may change.

I've played 4 rounds with the red. I've had 39,30,24,37 points with the ball. Really enjoying it. I've ordered more in this time.

Some photos of the ball after 18 tough holes around Magenta (cart path and a tree) and after a quick scrub with a brush and gumption (as a test for Boz). And a photo next to a new prov1.

After round:

Quick scrub:

Next to new vision ball (left) and new prov1. Used one round right. You can see how much whiter they are compared to new prov1's!

Vision is also doing a blue protour X which has a slightly firmer non Urethene cover. It reminds me of a Q star but with more spin. I haven't had too much game time with it yet but I'll post more once I do. It's a very white ball with a fleck in it which shines brightly.

The last thing I would say is that I'm more happy to support local business and after speaking directly with Boz and hearing his insight into these golf balls, hopefully people can try his product and let the results speak for themselves.

All opinions welcomed but do yourself a favour and try them.
    Last edited by Matt 3 Jab; 20th April 2017 at 07:13 PM.

Close up of the tree mark on the ball

Found the durability and whiteness very good

Member Club Pro

I also have tried these balls, but this time the yellow protour v balls I think they are

Its been great for me so far, very durable and easy to spot due to the brightness

I have found it has slightly less spin around the greens then the chrome soft I'm used to, and a little more driver spin then I would like, but I'm extremely happy with the balls overall

For the price point, I don't think the quality can be beaten. I'll continue to usethem, and as Matt said, support a local business
    Last edited by Slug; 20th April 2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Taylormade M2 - Tour AD GT6S
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3 wood - Matrix HD7
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 5 wood - Matrix HD7
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 3 iron - Kuro Kage Hybrid shaft
    Wilson Staff V6 irons 4 - PW - DG S300 AMT
    Wilson Staff PMP Wedges - 52* and 58*
    Odyssey Black Tour Series no 9 putter

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I found them a little too hard and clicky sound wise.

I couldn't get the same green side spin from the red as a pro V.

Tried 5-6, but decided I prefer the cast urethane type balls
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

What do you guys mean, when you say it's a local business? Wouldn't the balls be made in Asia and sent out from there?

Is this their top end ball Matt? I've played Srixon XV's for some time and like them maybe even over pro v1x's. If it's similar to the xv I'd have to revisit the vision balls. Last time I used them a few years ago now their balls were great but nothing really to compete with the big boys tour balls.

Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dee cee View Post
    Is this their top end ball Matt? I've played Srixon XV's for some time and like them maybe even over pro v1x's. If it's similar to the xv I'd have to revisit the vision balls. Last time I used them a few years ago now their balls were great but nothing really to compete with the big boys tour balls.

Keep us posted.
    Yes. The red and blue are their top as far as I'm aware. And the red is the Urethene ball.

I tested the xpert2 and others a while ago, and these are a lot better than those in terms of how they can compare with the big brands top tier balls.

I found the red protour X had plenty of greenside stopping power like the Srixons but each to their own.

Thanks mate. Might give them a go also

Easiest to contact him direct via email

wayne@visiongolfball.com

Very easy to deal with

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I also bought 6 doz direct from Boz, Still making my way through them. I played the reds a few weeks ago at hope Island and loved them, Stopped on a dime, which i've never been able to do before. I also love the opalescent colour of the blues.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Easiest to contact him direct via email wayne@visiongolfball.comVery easy to deal with
    Thanks Matt
    And thanks for the review. Sounds like they'll be worth a crack, I've sent an email!
    Last edited by Dazza; 20th April 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    What do you guys mean, when you say it's a local business? Wouldn't the balls be made in Asia and sent out from there?
    Australian registered company, owned by Australians. Designing balls, that are made to his specs in korea, in ball factories that make balls for the big boys.

Giving Australian golfers access to Urethane balls at a third of the price of proV's.

Considering no one in Australia can make top quality balls, pretty sure that's as close to "local" as you can possibly get.

Good on him for having a go. But by buying the "big name" balls, you're still supporting the local pro shop businesses all over the country. You know the ones where you can walk in and demo the latest driver, or buy a glove, or pick up spikes for your shoes.

If we all keep supporting the online industries, one day you'll walk onto a golf course and have nothing in the pro shop, except a redirect to a URL.

I think dealing directly with a owner / designer / operator like vision / Boz is a lot different than just "buying online". I can't see how going directly to the source is hurting local shops if they don't even sell the balls.

Being able to speak directly with the person who designed the ball is incredible. I'm sure if you could speak directly with Cobra R&D in regards to their drivers / woods and be offered to buy them directly from that person your pro shop wouldn't get a look in.

Hopefully more pro shops stock them in future and everyone can win.

Good on him for having a go. But by buying the "big name" balls, you're still supporting the local pro shop businesses all over the country. You know the ones where you can walk in and demo the latest driver, or buy a glove, or pick up spikes for your shoes.

If we all keep supporting the online industries, one day you'll walk onto a golf course and have nothing in the pro shop, except a redirect to a URL.
    So your dozen scottys in the shed, how many you buy at the local pro shop?

Only people hurting the pro shops, are the "big name" ball companies selling their balls to said pro shop at a price which mean our buy price is 2-3x the price of vision balls.

Where does all that extra money go if the big names are making the balls for the same price or less than vision does? I suspect very little of it stays at the pro shop.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    So your dozen scottys in the shed, how many you buy at the local pro shop?

Only people hurting the pro shops, are the "big name" ball companies selling their balls to said pro shop at a price which mean our buy price is 2-3x the price of vision balls.

Where does all that extra money go if the big names are making the balls for the same price or less than vision does? I suspect very little of it stays at the pro shop.
    All of my scotties, except the 2 circle t, would have been purchased from a pro shop originally. I think you're getting a little off track with that analogy.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Shops are going to sell what sells, why risk buying into no name stuff anyway?

No doubting matts review, boz has been around a while now and knows what's he's up against

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Shops are going to sell what sells, why risk buying into no name stuff anyway?

No doubting matts review, boz has been around a while now and knows what's he's up against
    I haven't used one in ages, but a playing partner of mine bought a few dozen of them and loves them. He agrees with the pen issue - can't mark them with your own marks.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

All of my scotties, except the 2 circle t, would have been purchased from a pro shop originally. I think you're getting a little off track with that analogy.
    Not really. A lot of your Scotties were originally bought off "pro shops" in the US or Japan. So like buying the big name balls, your scotty purchases meant little to none of that money actually helped any Australian businesses or people.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    I haven't used one in ages, but a playing partner of mine bought a few dozen of them and loves them. He agrees with the pen issue - can't mark them with your own marks.
    Been told to mark them and leave them overnight and might help. I'll be doing my own testing soon in regards to that

Rather than annoy him with a browse, does anyone have a catalogue/product list?

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Not really. A lot of your Scotties were originally bought off "pro shops" in the US or Japan. So like buying the big name balls, your scotty purchases meant little to none of that money actually helped any Australian businesses or people.
    2 out of 10 came from overseas. The rest would have been Australian sold.

Anyway I hope Boz sells a stack of his Vision balls and one day I can buy some with pro shop credit.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Mick, I'll forward you an email from boz with an outline of each balls basic design and what it's meant to do. I've also got some balls if you want to give them a hit.

Ive been using them on and off for the last 6 years.
    Im now back to using them almost exclusively.
    The PT Red is the best for me. I can get it to spin quite hard on the greens, and i think it's an incredible feeling ball.

ThePT Blue is the second best for me. It doesnt spin quite as much as the red, but it is almost a full club longer for me and most others that i know that have used it.

The PT Yellow is a little under the blue in terms of spin, but it is a fair bit more clicky in feel.
    When the Red with the yellow covering comes out, it will be a show stopper.

The PT Green, is next for me. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, just doesnt work as well for me as the others.

Boz is extraordinarily generous with his orders, and answers all questions very comprehensively.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I have also been testing them for many years. As Boz knows (cause I have told him), I have never found any of the Vision balls to be able to match my normal ball of the Srixon Z-star. Until now that is.

I have now switched to just using the PT Blue. The spin is consistent and close enough to a Z-star that I am happy to use them. The Red does spin slightly more, but I actually have found the Blue to be better suited to my game. I agree with Rob that the Green is OK, but not close to either the Blue or Red (in my experience). The Yellow was the longest of the lot, but I didn't like the feel at all.

I know that these threads often turn into hagiographies that fail to mention any flaws or problems. However, I can genuinely say that I think Boz has come up with a ball that can compete with the big manufacturers. Is it perfect - of course not. It doesn't spin quite as much as the Z-star, and they still don't float particularly well. But the range of Vision balls now has options that are not limited to just 'rocks' and if you haven't tried them for a few years, it could be worthwhile having another crack.

Thread Information