Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Default The new Royal Canberra Golf Club

I had the pleasure of playing RC for three days over Easter.

In the 80s, Royal Canberra had a reputation of the Augusta of Australia, and was at one stage rated in the Top 5 courses in the country.

Over time, the course rating slipped dramatically and was heading out of the top 50. The club appointed Ogilvy Clayton Cocking Mead (OCCM) to provide a masterplan and redesign. There were some limitations on what could be achieved - the course is based within a historically significant arboretum, and has many trees around 100 years old which were unable to be touched. The proposal was accepted, and the redevelopment work went ahead one nine at a time.

Holes 1-18 have now been completed for a year, and have bedded in perfectly - 19-27 has been put on hold temporarily at this stage.

All holes have been changed - some minor alterations and updates, some with major changes. The fairways are generally now very wide, with large level tee boxes allowing for variation of tee positions, new bunkers and bunker strategy and completely new greens. Par remains 72, and from the plates was a long and difficult test for the average club golfer.

The greens are complex, with very few flat putts, and position off the tee becomes exceptionally important for measuring difficulty of approach shots - being above the hole on greens running at 11 to 11.6 over the weekend saw overly aggressive players putt off the green on many occasions...

Trees away from playing lines have been removed to improve light and turf health, and a few trees along corridors were cleared up and removed for safety and playability.

There were some excellent acknowledgement of prior design features - the 11th green features a significant ridge running the length of the green similar to the old course.

The 16th was always the highlight of RC, being around 410m over a valley to a ridge, with a long iron approach over another dip to a green perched on top of the next ridge. It has now been joined by 14 and 15 in the strongest strip of holes in the ACT by a long shot.

14 had the tee moved 40m up the hill to feature a water carry over Lake Burley Griffin. Around 6 willows were removed, a centreline bunker added, and the fairway widened by 30m to the lakes edge to set a dramatic tee shot. The approach from a small ridge over a valley to a raised, multi tier green required precision shotmaking, or a decision on where you wanted to miss. The 15th used to be a short, nondescript par 5 that modern clubs had turned into a virtual 4 - OCCM added a creek across the front of the green, with a 1m tall wall and the green nestled atop the wall. 2 good shots still saw a player putt, but a mishit 2nd - or 3rd - and the ball was wet with a difficult recovery. 16 was only mildly changed, and remains a classic.

Overall, the changes were exceptional - anecdotally the members initially complained it was too difficult, but the use of the white tees for competition rather than the black plates, and familiarity with the greens and internal slopes have seen the membership warm to the changes.

RC hopes to again host a major womens event in a couple of years, and is a setting that would be a true test for both the men and women.

FWIW, best gross was 143 by Australian rep Josh Armstrong, best nett was 143 by a local member.

.1st.jpg8th.jpg14th.jpg15th.jpg16th.jpg

Put it this way - I inquired about membership after playing. Unfortunately the reality is I am 10 years away, but I could not imagine getting bored playing here. Its amazing.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I am super keen to give RC a go.

My brother in law and I will come down for a game, and likely play federal as that is recipe with our club.

He raves about RC
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Thanks for the write-up and pics mate. The course looks amazing, great pics. Wish I was playing the course RIGHT BLOODY NOW. One day I'll do a Federal-Royal Canberra golf weekend.
    I've always thought Mike Clayton to be very astute when it comes to course architecture, which makes him and Ogilvy great business partners in OCCM.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I wish I had have played it 15 years ago when I stayed down there a bit, although I probably didn't have the money (or the invite) for it.

Nice write up Benno.

Who the hell let you in there for 3 days!

Luck son of a....

Blog Entries

Act Amateur/Canberra Cup always held over the easter weekend!

54 holes for the big boys/ 36 holes for the hackers!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Act Amateur/Canberra Cup always held over the easter weekend!

54 holes for the big boys/ 36 holes for the hackers!
    Friday was a 4BBB, Saturday and Sunday were an open event. All up I spent 3 days there for $280, including a meal each day. Cheaper than one round OS, and I met a couple of excellent blokes who have invited me back for a round in the future.

One thing I had forgotten was the elevation changes around the course - some significant, but not excessive dips and rises. You barely have a flat stance other than a tee box all day.

Condition wise - spot on. There are still a few small patches where another growing season will help, but I never had a bad lie on the fairway in 3 rounds, and the greens were as pure as I have ever putted on with a lovely grass cover and generally receptive to a well struck approach. They were too good for me though - the Sunday 'Championship' pin positions destroyed me - especially 18, where I pitched about 2.5m short of the pin with SW for 3, it checked, then rolled down the 5 foot tier and ended up close on 25m away... One foot more flight and I had 4 foot for birdie.

I watched a guy on the Friday have 15 foot for birdie on 7, then 15m back with wedge for par. There were some seriously funky pins that being out of position saw you dead. Were any unfair? Nope. Were they difficult? Hell yeah.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the write-up and pics mate. The course looks amazing, great pics. Wish I was playing the course RIGHT BLOODY NOW. One day I'll do a Federal-Royal Canberra golf weekend.
    I've always thought Mike Clayton to be very astute when it comes to course architecture, which makes him and Ogilvy great business partners in OCCM.
    The members were telling me that weekend play for non-members is practically impossible - my possible future invite is for a Monday, where one of the new 9's is closed for the day, and you play 19-27 as well. I've never played 19-27 so would like to give it a go - even if just once.

Chopperlink

WITB

Is Royal Canberra Hawkey's home track?

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcanto View Post
    Is Royal Canberra Hawkey's home track?
    It would have been but he is in Sydney these days. Avondale is similar?

Chopperlink

WITB

Great write up. I also played the Easter event at RCGC, and agree with everything wbennett said.

It is a private club, with no public access (except for th3 easter tournament). So hope all of you that hope to play know a member to be a guest of or are members of a reciprocal club. Correct that members guests are generally allowed on non-comp days or can book only 24 hours before day of comp.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    It would have been but he is in Sydney these days. Avondale is similar?
    Avondale is similar to the old Royal Canberra. Lots of trees with damp greens and fairways.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Man View Post
    Great write up. I also played the Easter event at RCGC, and agree with everything wbennett said.

It is a private club, with no public access (except for th3 easter tournament). So hope all of you that hope to play know a member to be a guest of or are members of a reciprocal club. Correct that members guests are generally allowed on non-comp days or can book only 24 hours before day of comp.

Good luck.
    What were your thoughts on the course? Had you played pre-reno?

I thought the greens were fantastic, but I wouldn't want to putt on them on a 35 degree day with a 30kmh wind. They would be 'difficult'

Chopperlink

WITB

Member Trainee Pro

I was there last Sunday. My dad is a member there. Enjoyed the new 9 holes.
    Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue Stiff
    Titleist TSi2 16.5 Oban Devotion HB

Titleist 818 H1 21 VA Slay 85 S
    Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus Tour 115 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Taylormade Spider Tour

That Sunday right pin on 18... I pitched on the front of the back right plateau - and ended up rolling back to the front of the green.

Thats one tough pin to get near!

Chopperlink

WITB

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

excellent benno - with recips ill have a crack on a weekday hen i come back in the winter - for the annual snowboarding event !

What were your thoughts on the course? Had you played pre-reno?I thought the greens were fantastic, but I wouldn't want to putt on them on a 35 degree day with a 30kmh wind. They would be 'difficult'
    Played quite a few times pre and post renovation. I think the course is vastly improved and very underrated by the coastal snobs. Kind of sick of hearing that RCGC is the best inland course in the country. Inland or coastal, it is a fantastic test of golf.Being inland (clay based) is an obvious disadvantage, however the benefits of this include having pure bentgrass greens and fairways. (Something that is impossible to achieve at most non-inland courses).Th course now offers one of the most pure playing surfaces I have seen. Once the bedding in is complete and the few bare patches are grown in, it should make a resurgence in the Top 100 rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Man View Post
    Played quite a few times pre and post renovation. I think the course is vastly improved and very underrated by the coastal snobs. Kind of sick of hearing that RCGC is the best inland course in the country. Inland or coastal, it is a fantastic test of golf.Being inland (clay based) is an obvious disadvantage, however the benefits of this include having pure bentgrass greens and fairways. (Something that is impossible to achieve at most non-inland courses).Th course now offers one of the most pure playing surfaces I have seen. Once the bedding in is complete and the few bare patches are grown in, it should make a resurgence in the Top 100 rankings.
    Hi Napa, Was waiting for you to chime in on this thread.RCGC looks amazing...looks Augusta-like in places.Hope you're well mate....those MP-64s I got off you are going very strong.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Hi Napa, Was waiting for you to chime in on this thread.RCGC looks amazing...looks Augusta-like in places.Hope you're well mate....those MP-64s I got off you are going very strong.
    Glad to hear the MP64's are working. If you ever plan on heading to a Canberra, let me know.

Back again today. A few conditioning issues and the course is overwatered, but still an excellent track

Chopperlink

WITB

Oh dear. Royal Canberra's choice of grass unsuitable to the climate, then an untimely couch removal program has seen the course in massive trouble leading up to the Ladies Open in a couple of weeks time. The traditional Easter event has been abandoned for the year as well.

The unloved and unrenovated Peter Thompson 9 out the back will be in play, and the other 9 holes will be made up of those in playable condition. 1-4, then 9, then a bus ride to find 4 more that aren't rooted, finishing on 18.

After spending big bikkies on the reno, the membership is livid and the GM departed this week.

Chopperlink

WITB

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Wow.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Major Winner

Oh dear. Royal Canberra's choice of grass unsuitable to the climate
    How does this happen?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    How does this happen?
    Happens more than you might imagine.

This is Royal Wellington 1 week before the Australasian Annika jr challenge (last year).

Oh dear. Royal Canberra's choice of grass unsuitable to the climate, then an untimely couch removal program has seen the course in massive trouble leading up to the Ladies Open in a couple of weeks time. The traditional Easter event has been abandoned for the year as well.The unloved and unrenovated Peter Thompson 9 out the back will be in play, and the other 9 holes will be made up of those in playable condition. 1-4, then 9, then a bus ride to find 4 more that aren't rooted, finishing on 18. After spending big bikkies on the reno, the membership is livid and the GM departed this week.
    What type of grass did they choose? Reminds me of about 10 years ago (maybe longer) when the stadium where the Raiders played had issues with their choice of turf after they did renovations. I believe they were supplied turf from FNQ which didn't survive the first cold snap. 🙄

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Thread Information