Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    The real story will be interesting Spanner. I have spoken to three members this week for three different stories. As with all tales, there are 3 sides to every story. His, hers, and the truth somewhere in between. Its a real shame, as the course was in fantastic condition 12 to 18 months ago.
    Well it seems I’m only getting half the story but was told I’ll get the full story when I get back next week. Pretty much all you said is true the bit I got told was the GM has a lot to answer for.
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    Well it seems I’m only getting half the story but was told I’ll get the full story when I get back next week. Pretty much all you said is true the bit I got told was the GM has a lot to answer for.
    I did notice who you were friends with on FB over the weekend. He will know

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Spanner, always seems like clubs are always chasing their tail, RC are trying to get rid of the couch out of the bent, we are trying to keep the kikuyu out of the couch, or the santa anna out of the some type of couch and then everyone seems to be trying to rid themselves of poa annua. Is it the weather that causes all these issues (perhaps they are unsolvable) or clubs steadfastly refusing to go with the path of least regret when it comes to their surfaces
    This is the round about that keeps me in a job. Turf these days needs to be pretty much free of undesirable grasses. It only takes a couple of years for couch or kik to take over fairways. It’s not weather related it’s always been hot or cold what has changed is the cultivars. Usually they are better and the couches and bents have progressed a long way in even my lifetime. Once a club undertakes a program to improve playing conditions by incorporating these new cultivars they at a great expense they need to keep them weed free then the cycle starts again.
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

There's a bit of a mention on the fairway condition in today's CT article.

Lunn is confident the course is fit to host this week's event despite earlier concerns the Canberra Classic would be axed due to the state of Royal Canberra's fairways.

Couch grass was poisoned for removal but the sheer amount of it combined with a searing hot summer left the fairways looking patchy and had club officials worried about how they would look on broadcast.

However officials have managed to cobble together 18 playable holes on the Yarralumla course, which boasts 27 in its entirety, to avoid the most significantly damaged fairways.

Players will bypass the traditional hole 1-18 route and instead use the opening four holes, the ninth, 13th, and then 16 through to 27.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Shame. Although the 19-27 is OK, it's not what the other holes at the club represent.

19-27 is also significantly easier especially the greens

Member Teaching Pro

Hi all,

Relocating permanently back to Canberra during 2019, what is the latest on the RCGC situation? I wasn't a member there before leaving Canberra in 1999, however thinking about joining upon my return with wife and two primary school kids.

Any advice from people for me?

Regards
    PG

Blog Entries

Royal has mainenance issues at the moment. They will get it right but blood will run in the gutters until they do.
    There used to be a significant wait list an expect to pay 7 to 10k nomination and 3.5k plus per year subs.

You need to visit the clubs and get a feel. If you haven’t been a member anywhere, you may need to know someone to get into either RCGC or Federal. Also depends where you live as canberra stretches a long way north and south now.

Good place to place golf though in my opinion!

Pete
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Member Teaching Pro

Good point Pete. I am a Member in Sydney, however it is only a 3rd rate club so not worried about leaving that behind with the move to Canberra. I have played most tracks in Canberra and they are generally very good. I have at least two close friends who are RCGC members, so I am fine to get the introductions and I have checked that it is $4500 unrestricted joining fee (Compared to $20K at Royal Sydney and $8800 at St Michaels). The Subs are high though $4774, which is $400 a month, so that is "Sydney Prices", however I know that there isn't a waiting list there now, as they need members in the 30-50 year aged group, particularly those with kids.

The maintenance is an issue, however I am sure they will get it sorted. Anyone know about the current financials of the Club? As I have heard that Pennant Hills GC in Sydney is close to falling over due to a massive cost blowout with the Clubhouse and Members are being hit up for immediate cash injections!

Hi Planet Golf

The grass issues are being sorted out at the moment with the cooler weather.

There have been rumours about cash flow for a little while, as the 19-27 redevelopment was put on hold due to cost, but I suspect these are not a major issue. Royal won't close down.

They are currently priced 50% higher than Federal and Gold Creek as the next two highest, and have a near enough full membership.

As for playing most tracks in Canberra, there isn't a single club with a full membership at the moment, but Gungahlin is about to put a cap on ours at 650 with an influx of members joining our place from Gold Creek (but somewhere around only 250ish are full 7 day members).

As for financial problems, Federal is in real cash flow trouble, Gold Creek will close in the next couple of years, Yowani is selling land for a 100m real estate project and full course development for the next 5-7 years - so Royal is a safe bet.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    You need to visit the clubs and get a feel. If you haven’t been a member anywhere, you may need to know someone to get into either RCGC or Federal. Also depends where you live as canberra stretches a long way north and south now.

Good place to place golf though in my opinion!

Pete
    This is true - from the most northern suburbs, a mid morning weekend trek would be at worst 40 minutes to RC, and about 30 from the south. But absolutely nothing like a Sydney or Melbourne commute of 30kms.

Chopperlink

WITB

Member Trainee Pro

My dad is a member there, great course and really awesome reciprocal courses e.g. the Australian, national, metropolitan, Hong Kong gc, Japan 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue Stiff
    Titleist TSi2 16.5 Oban Devotion HB

Titleist 818 H1 21 VA Slay 85 S
    Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus Tour 115 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Taylormade Spider Tour

Planet Golf

Played there yesterday - layout is currently 19-27 (the unrenovated holes), 1-5, 9, 16 to 18.

The old holes are their normal unrenovated selves. I quite like 19, 21 and 25, but the back paddock is fairly uninspiring with bunkers both sides of landing areas and 80s mounding everywhere. I hope they end up rebuilding these holes in line with the masterplan, but this could be a way off.

Condition wise, the holes in play on the previously rebuilt 1-18 were all preferred lies. Fairways and green surrounds are patchy, but you can see they are doing a truckload of work with reseeding and oversewing to bring them back. Given a good growing season, and they should be close to their best by next December. The layout is still the best in Canberra, the greens and green complexes are the most interesting and challenging in the district. The pro shop staff were friendly and accommodating, and the place just has 'the vibe'

If budget isnt an issue, it is the club to join.

Chopperlink

WITB

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why don’t you join them! 😉

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Why don’t you join them! 
    After doing a thorough analysis of the figures, 0.05 is the show-stopper.

And I'm still trying to work out the phrase 'Given a good growing season'. In ACT over winter.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Why don’t you join them! 
    Budget and time are my issues. I also prefer an annual OS holiday with the family

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    After doing a thorough analysis of the figures, 0.05 is the show-stopper.

And I'm still trying to work out the phrase 'Given a good growing season'. In ACT over winter.
    RC and GL have cool climate grass that actually thrives through the cooler autumn, early winter and early spring weather. It doesn't appreciate the weeks of 35* plus that became the norm this summer.

Gold Creek and Federal are couch that goes dormant over winter and only comes back to life in October.

Chopperlink

WITB

Bit of a weird thread dig up, but I played Newcastle GC recently and I believe they have the old Royal Canberra super (last 18 months or so).

Newcastle is in the best nick I've seen it for the last 5 years (play it once a year maybe twice) but seriously good greens and surrounds.

Making a pure golf course even better.

And RC is closed this week for renos with a few members mentioning to me that it is nowhere near the conditiom they expect.

It still hasnt recovered from last summer.

Chopperlink

WITB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Bit of a weird thread dig up, but I played Newcastle GC recently and I believe they have the old Royal Canberra super (last 18 months or so).Newcastle is in the best nick I've seen it for the last 5 years (play it once a year maybe twice) but seriously good greens and surrounds. Making a pure golf course even better.
    Is that Andrew Boyle?

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Is that Andrew Boyle?
    Ben Grylewicz (the most recent super) has gone to Indro.
    Forum needs more banter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Bit of a weird thread dig up, but I played Newcastle GC recently and I believe they have the old Royal Canberra super (last 18 months or so).Newcastle is in the best nick I've seen it for the last 5 years (play it once a year maybe twice) but seriously good greens and surrounds. Making a pure golf course even better.
    Don't forget to mention you flushed it and took home all the chocolates..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

We are looking at playing Newcastle early December on a boys weekend away. Hoping it all comes together.

Chopperlink

WITB

Is that Andrew Boyle?
    No he’s now with me. Must be one of the assistants
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

We are looking at playing Newcastle early December on a boys weekend away. Hoping it all comes together.
    Not sure of the name. But you'll be sweet as I heard they are coring soon so will be fine when you play.

Such a good track!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    No he’s now with me. Must be one of the assistants
    Make sure he double checks what he’s spraying
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information