Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F1 2017

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default F1 2017

The first race has passed us by without too much fuss.

Wider tyres, wider cars, smaller wings and increased downforce meant quicker lap times.
    Is Danny Ric behind the 8 ball now with a gearbox and engine change within the first race?

Was hoping that Hamilton would stall it on the line with the new clutch system, but not to be.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Member Monthly medal winner

I think it will be another Hamilton world title this year but hopefully Vettel can make a challenge of it, would love to see Ricciardo up there but I can only see him fighting it out for 3rd place

Banned

I thought it was a pretty good race but to be fair, any race that the little ponce doesn't win is a good race! Not sure if we can judge if overtaking is better or worse under the new regs. Melbourne is not typically a good track for overtaking anyway so they say it will be easier to tell once they get to China and Bahrain.

Just one thing Wazamac, I think the wings are bigger. The rear wing looks lower but is wider. The front wing is wider too as I understand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HOPHEAD View Post
    I think it will be another Hamilton world title this year but hopefully Vettel can make a challenge of it, would love to see Ricciardo up there but I can only see him fighting it out for 3rd place
    You might be right but not sure how you draw that conclusion given Hamiltons pace was matched by Vettel in both stints of the race. Looks promising for a good championship. Bottas looked on pace as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Just one thing Wazamac, I think the wings are bigger. The rear wing looks lower but is wider. The front wing is wider too as I understand.
    Your right Jazz. They are lower but wider to match the car width.
    I watched a comparison between Hamilton's lap this year and last year and in the end was at least 40m in front.

[QUOTE=Jazz18;1343184]You might be right but not sure how you draw that conclusion given Hamiltons pace was matched by Vettel in both stints of the race. Looks promising for a good championship. Bottas looked on pace as well.
    Hamilton had the pace early on and only fell behind due to the pit strategy, then got stuck behind max. Vettel did have the faster car for the majority of the race thou. Still a long way to go in the season anything could happen yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HOPHEAD View Post
    Hamilton had the pace early on and only fell behind due to the pit strategy, then got stuck behind max. Vettel did have the faster car for the majority of the race thou. Still a long way to go in the season anything could happen yet.
    Yep, sure could. Looking forward to some mixed up results this year and not just Mercedes running away with it.

Yep, sure could. Looking forward to some mixed up results this year and not just Mercedes running away with it.
    Hopefully Red Bull can join them up the front as well. A bit of rain is expected Sunday morning which could always throw up a few surprises if it hangs around

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Rain causing all sorts of delays and issues with Friday practice.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Banned

Still might be too early to say but I was hopeful after Melbourne for a more interesting season but not so much now after China. It seemed a lot of cars had issues with overtaking even with the massive straight there and even Verstappens Redbull seemed to have trouble in the dirty air from the Haas toward the end of the race.

May have been a very different race for Vettel/Hamilton and others if there had been some space between the virtual safety car and the safety car that was sent out for Giovinazzi's crash on the pit straight. Thought it was a bloody boring race in the end but in fairness, that may have as much to do with Hamilton winning the race as anything.

God I hope the Ferraris are competitive all season and that Redbull can start to make up some ground soon as well.

I missed the race yesterday as I was working, but thinking on the way home about Monaco (my favourite race of the year). Will there actually be an overtake with the wider cars?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    I missed the race yesterday as I was working, but thinking on the way home about Monaco (my favourite race of the year). Will there actually be an overtake with the wider cars?
    Didn't think of that. I'm not sure they will be able to. Not even so much the wider cars but with Monaco being the highest down force track of the calender, I can see there being any clean air anywhere on the circuit to allow them to get close enough to each other to overtake. If there is overtaking, they will be some kamakazi moves I think!

Just heard that Alonso is going to miss the Monaco race so he can compete in the Indy 500.

Banned

Just heard that Alonso is going to miss the Monaco race so he can compete in the Indy 500.
    Beginning of the end to his career with McLaren perhaps?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Beginning of the end to his career with McLaren perhaps?
    I'd suggest it is more of an attempt by McLaren to keep him happy by allowing him to do some other things whilst they are uncompetitive.

I thought that a year or two ago when he was sniffing around the Le Man cars with Webber.

Looking to become only the second driver to win the triple crown, if he can win Indy and Le Mans that is. Be interesting to see how he goes

Banned

Another good race in Spain. Think the result would have been different if it weren't for the virtual safety car and pits stops that followed. VSC and SC shouldn't have an influence on the race in my opinion. Anyone else think it would be better if they didn't allow pits stops during VSC or SC periods? I know everyone has the same opportunity to pit when you have them but you're not allowed to overtake under either conditions on the track so why should you be allowed to gain time or track position in the pit lane during a VSC or SC period? Think it would be better without it.

I think it should be left how it is, everyone has the same opportunity to pit if they want. It can be a bit unlucky if they pitted a lap before the sc comes out tho but if they are due to pit soon it comes in at a very lucky time.

Another good race in Spain. Think the result would have been different if it weren't for the virtual safety car and pits stops that followed. VSC and SC shouldn't have an influence on the race in my opinion. Anyone else think it would be better if they didn't allow pits stops during VSC or SC periods? I know everyone has the same opportunity to pit when you have them but you're not allowed to overtake under either conditions on the track so why should you be allowed to gain time or track position in the pit lane during a VSC or SC period? Think it would be better without it.
    There is always an element of luck in timing pit stops.

On the plus side, there are two decent teams this year with 4 potential race winners - better than the last few years where there were realistically two cars capable of winning any race.

I have enjoyed watching a few of the old years in review on Foxtel - seeing teams like JPS/Camel Lotus, Benetton, Leyton House, Arrows, Ligier, Minardi, Tyrrell etc fighting it out.

And the Senna/Prost/Mansell races - and the quality of Ferrari, McLaren, Williams all capable of winning.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Races like the next one, Monaco, might only be determined by pit stops, safety cars and luck of position on the track when it comes out.

Races like the next one, Monaco, might only be determined by pit stops, safety cars and luck of position on the track when it comes out.
    Monaco has been determined by qualifying and luck for 50 years.

Chopperlink

WITB

Banned

Yeah I know luck comes into racing a fair bit but would be good if there was less luck involved. I mean Nikki Lauda said that Hamilton deserved to win the race, but there was certainly a fair bit of luck involved with the timing of the VSC. He also had a pretty big helping hand from Bottas slowing Vettel down for a few laps. With those 2 combined, I'm not sure I would have said he deserved the win if I was in Lauda's shoes.

Anyway, yep, the season definitely looks like it will be a much closer fight than previous years which is great. Ferrari really showing some pace and that Australia wasn't a fluke. Very impressed with how well Force India are going. Always there or there abouts and given their budget, punching well above their weight I would have thought.

Hope Alonso doesn't kill himself at Indy. Big call to be racing there after little practice.

I can't see Alonso winning with his lack of driving an Indy car but he should do ok. Sportsbet have him 3rd fav at $9

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

With less luck involved wouldn't it likely be more of a borefest with the best car winning all the time?

Merc sold Ferrari a great dummy making them think they were going to 3 stop and then using Bottas as a mobile roadblock. That's what gave Hamilton the chance to win after his poor start. When the VSC happened things were marginally in Hamilton's favour anyway tho it did move it further

Thread Information