Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: F1 2017

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default F1 2017

Aside from the start itself, I don't recall seeing a single overtake on the track in that race. Probably the first race this year where the wider cars has made the spectacle worse. It is still the first race I'd choose to go to given the chance mind you

That said good work by Vettel, Ricciardo and Hamilton to make use of when they did get clean air

Now what can Alonso do in the Indy 500 later?

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

The comparison between the processional F1 and the spectacular Indy race was chalk and cheese.

Indy had 6 or 7 guys who looked like they had the pace for the win.

Alonso did a magnficent job until his day was ended by a dud Honda as usual, but Takuma Sato deserved the win.

The inbuilt safety of the cars was demonstrated by Scott Dixon walking away from a 350kmh wreck. The changes implemented since the death of Dan Wheldon probably saved his life - any impact that splits an engine in half is a hell of an impact...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Aside from the start itself, I don't recall seeing a single overtake on the track in that race. Probably the first race this year where the wider cars has made the spectacle worse. It is still the first race I'd choose to go to given the chance mind you

That said good work by Vettel, Ricciardo and Hamilton to make use of when they did get clean air

+1.

And who the hell are you?
    Last edited by wazamac; 29th May 2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Great race and great to see Dan on top of the podium again. Stoll didn't seem too impressed by the shoey though!

Also reinforced for me what an absolute c**t Vettel is. He should have been DQ'd for that. A 10s drive through is laughable.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Missed the race last night but just finished watching highlights.

If all of the races are going to be like that when I don't watch, then I will just go and feed the chooks.

Well done Dan.

I think Vettel thought that Hamilton was going to do the bolt but he obviously didn't. Don't think it was a brake check like he claims. Maybe it was his KERS kicking in so he would have a full stash to use on the restart.

Banned

Wow, what a great race. Pretty much everything that can happen did. Love that track. Great job from DRicc to grab the win with the front 2 tripping over each other. Thought a Haas was going to finish in 5th until he got mobbed at the end of the race too.

Hamilton was obviously unlucky not to win with his headrest coming loose. I'm sure someone has had a word to him in the off season about being a sook all the time because he's certainly not behaving like a baby that's dropped their rattle after the races.

Might be on my own here but I actually don't think Vettel intentionally side swiped Hamilton. I think he was so mad about running I to the back of Hamilton, that as he was trying to pull alongside Hamilton, he had both hands off the wheel and he just didn't control the car properly. I could be wrong but I don't think he meant to bang wheels with Hamilton. I do think he deserved the penalty though.

Anyway, great race. Hope we get more of the same in Austria!

Renault are not upgrading the engine the engine this year. Red Bull still lag at the bottom with the least number of laps completed this season. Not bad result being third in the constructors considering.

Ron Dennis has sold his last stake in McLaren. Doing some design work for the defence dept. I hear.

Banned

Just finished watching Hungary. Was a great race in the end. Thought it was going to be a bit of a procession and I guess in the end it did but there was a couple of periods during the race when I wasn't sure what the finishing order was going to be.

Very impressed with the Mercedes team work. Was typical of Bottas to be the team player to let Hamilton have a go at Raikonnen but I will admit I was astonished Hamilton gave the place back at all, let alone when he did it. Not sure he would have done the same for Rosberg but very impressed that he did that for Bottas. Will do him, Bottas and Mercedes the world of good in unity and morale going forward.

I thought it was funny how the commentators and even Toto Wolf were saying the 3 points that Hamilton gave up could cost him the championship at the end of the season and while it seems likely it will be Hamilton and Vettel fighting it out to the end, they forget that those 3 points could put Bottas in a position to win the championship if Hamilton isn't there for whatever reason. Goes both ways so interesting most were saying it could ultimately hurt Hamilton, not help Bottas win the championship, but I guess the Sky Sports F1 broadcast is a little UK driver biased (as you'd expect).

Great race. Look forward to it coming back already after the break.

Banned

Oh, also keen to hear what everyone thinks about the halo. I know safety safety safety but I must admit, I tend to agree with Nikki Lauda but can also see what Fernando Alonsa was saying about it. Tough one to call. If it was my decision, I'd say F1 can do without it but could be swayed either way to be honest. It is F&%KIN ugly though!!!

Did Martin have another heart attack at Silverstone? He has missed two races through 'illness' which is highly unusual...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Oh, also keen to hear what everyone thinks about the halo. I know safety safety safety but I must admit, I tend to agree with Nikki Lauda but can also see what Fernando Alonsa was saying about it. Tough one to call. If it was my decision, I'd say F1 can do without it but could be swayed either way to be honest. It is F&%KIN ugly though!!!
    Not a fan of the halo. The drivers already have significant head and neck protection.

Bianchi was killed when he hit a rescue crane, and suffered a 250g impact (200km to 0 in about 30cm). Its unlikely a halo would have withstood the impact.

Motorsport is dangerous. It says on the ticket.

Chopperlink

WITB

I think the halo has its good and bad points.

Good to stop debris flying into the cockpit.
    Bad - Is it going too take longer to get the driver out if there is a serious problem?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Did Martin have another heart attack at Silverstone? He has missed two races through 'illness' which is highly unusual...
    I didn't get the impression he had a heart attack. That was my initial thoughts when he left the Silverstone broadcast but I thought I heard he had some sort of virus that really hit him hard. He could have been better but not able to fly yet if it was inner ear issues perhaps? Just a total guess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    I think the halo has its good and bad points.

Good to stop debris flying into the cockpit.
    Bad - Is it going too take longer to get the driver out if there is a serious problem?
    I'm not convinced the halo will stop debris unless it's large. Would it have deflected the spring that hit Massa in 2009 at the Hungaroring? I'm not so sure. It will obviously stop a wheel or a wing etc etc but the chances of that are so slim. I think you make a good point that it could make it more difficult to get out of the car in the much more likely event of a big crash. you would hope they've taken that into account with the designs though.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Sick of all the F1 Facebook articles asking whether Hamilton should've given back the place to Bottas.

Of course he ****ing should have, because Bottas gave it to him in the first instance.... Hamilton wasn't getting by Bottas on his own.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I didn't get the impression he had a heart attack. That was my initial thoughts when he left the Silverstone broadcast but I thought I heard he had some sort of virus that really hit him hard. He could have been better but not able to fly yet if it was inner ear issues perhaps? Just a total guess.
    I heard it was a similar thing to what Massa had...I Googled it after I heard it - something called viral labyrinthitis. Inner ear infection that can take a few weeks to recover from in some cases.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Sick of all the F1 Facebook articles asking whether Hamilton should've given back the place to Bottas.

Of course he ****ing should have, because Bottas gave it to him in the first instance.... Hamilton wasn't getting by Bottas on his own.
    Absolutely........was still surprised it happened though!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Absolutely........was still surprised it happened though!!!
    Yeah, I didn't think he would give it back.

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Banned

Yeah, I didn't think he would give it back.
    He must have taken some grown up pills in the off season. That's far too mature behaviour for the normally whiny little maggot!

Must admit, I think it's hilarious how they go on a summer break like its school holidays! Makes me have a little chuckle every year when they talk about summer break.

Senior Member Major Winner

Exactly

Thread Information