Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Hartfield GC (W.A) Any Good?

Hello Ozgolf,

I am heading West next week and might have some downtime.

I have reciprocal at Hartfield and just wondering if its worth packing the clubs for?

I also have recip. at The Vines and/or thinking about Kennedy Bay

Any opinions most welcome - no guarantee I can play but in town for a week so lots can happen

Cheers, TC

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hartfield is a very tight track, but usually in fantastic condition. I was a member there for over 3 years and really enjoy playing the course. There is no "Wow!" factor, but it's very enjoyable and has a great membership base. It is a parkland course and if you miss the greens, there isn't much forgiveness at all. Hopefully, you have some experience playing off woodchips if you don't hit all your greens. There are only a couple weak holes out there.

Kennedy Bay is my favourite course in WA; I was a member there for 5+ years. It is a links style course - greens are a bit raised to be true links, but there is not a weak hole on the track. It is easily the pick of the three, although it is about 50 minutes from the CBD if travel is an issue. The greens have let it down over the years, but they have been very good for the last 9 months.

The Vines is shit. If you could play a composite of the two tracks, you could have a fun round, but the condition is usually average and there are too many horribly designed holes for me to recommend it at all.

Senior Member Major Winner

You're far too kind on the vines.

JC: thanks for the input; I will be stationed in Baldivis for most of the week so should be fine to get to Kennedy Bay.

Might give Hartfield a crack with the Saturday morning comp - should all things being equal travel well with work
    Last edited by thecollective; 20th March 2017 at 11:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Worth bringing the sticks for KB and then may as well play Hartfield.

Hartfield itself is nothing special, and unless you are a real golf tragic that can't miss a Saturday I wouldn't recommend bringing the sticks just for it. It as JC said usually in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Worth bringing the sticks for KB and then may as well play Hartfield.

Hartfield itself is nothing special, and unless you are a real golf tragic that can't miss a Saturday I wouldn't recommend bringing the sticks just for it. It as JC said usually in good condition.
    Thanks for your input Yoss / JC

Quick change of topic/course: noticed Secret Harbour is close by as well, worth a game?

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Thanks for your input Yoss / JC

Quick change of topic/course: noticed Secret Harbour is close by as well, worth a game?
    Secrets is a fun track, tons of roll on the fairways. There is one 9 that is much better than the other.

I'd put it ahead of Hartfield if comparing the two.

ok thanks for your help guys

Thought I would update as a reference to the forum.

Played Hartfield GC today with the local members. A bushland course tucked between well established gum trees and other local native flora and fauna. Some very nice wildlife live at the course including a number of bandicoot who were very friendly (obviously probing for a bite to eat).

Fairways are mainly kikuyu and ok in conditioning, the course struggles a little with the root exposure in places plus it can get a little too rugged around the green surrounds. All in all though not a bad surface but certainly not great either.

The course played less tight than expected, most tight spots give way further down (increase in width) so you can certainly use your driver. The woods are quite thinned out so it was much easier than expected to locate your ball, the extremely sandy base (ain't called Sand Gropers for nothin!) is certainly a challenge trying to punch the ball out low. The greens were unfortunately cored to a heavy degree when I played (nobody made me aware of this when I booked) and were almost unplayable due to the dense level of sand and massive punch holes.

The overall GCA was ok with some holes requiring attention; they have a 194 Par 3 that plays far too long for the majority of club golfers. Most of the water hazards are hard to see and visualise your shot over. My pick of the holes would actually be #1 an opportunity to take on the large LHS side bunker that gives you optimum angle into the pin.

The bunkers are cut well and contain a dense mango coloured sand and smooth out nicely with the rake. Took a while to get used to the colour but they played well.

All in all a solid course. But certainly not a must play and @ around 2.7K for 7 day membership I personally would shop around.

Members were very friendly, clubhouse pretty good too.
    Last edited by thecollective; 1st April 2017 at 07:34 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Golf in Perth today?

Locals didn't wanna organise a group to join you?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Golf in Perth today?

Locals didn't wanna organise a group to join you?
    3PP: It was never a 'guaranteed' round.

I opened a massive store in Baldivis where we provisioned time in case anything went wrong. Nothing went wrong so I had a fair amount of spare time on Friday and Saturday.

I did not want to organise something with the WAnkers only to bail last minute (or during round) coz sh*t hit the fan.

I definitely will be back in W.A and after my amazing Kennedy Bay experience will allocate some personal time to have a round with the local crew

Thread Information