Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Trainee Pro

Default Kooindah, Pac Dunes and Nelson bay

Heading away this weekend, anyone played these over the past couple of weeks? Kooindah called us offering a discount due to heat damage on the greens.... Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Haystacks is a member at PD so he might pop in here.

For the Newcastle/Port Stephens area my picks would be Horizons and Newcastle.

Member Trainee Pro

Cheers, thought Horizons had gone down the toilet?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Syd View Post
    Cheers, thought Horizons had gone down the toilet?
    Horizons is coming back, we played a while back and it was excellent. I was in the area last weekend. Skipped Horizons as they have some temp greens in play due to course upgrades.

Went to Nelson Bay gc instead, and it's only in fair condition, and has a very crappy temp green on 5 as they cant get the green dry.

Member Trainee Pro

Thanks...

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

I've been told that Kooindah lost most or all of their greens, hence the cheaper fees maybe best to play elsewhere.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Danieljc View Post
    I've been told that Kooindah lost most or all of their greens, hence the cheaper fees maybe best to play elsewhere.
    Matt3Jab? Is this right?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

In general, Newy and Port Stephens have suffered a bit with the hot weather.

PD is starting to green up again after a bit of rain. Greens are looking a bit shitty, but are still rolling pretty good. Bring a good supply of pills and a 1 iron to wrangle the snakes.

I caddied for the A grade pennant team at Nelson Bay last Sunday week and they made them play 10-27 because 1-9 apparently wasn't great. The temp green on 5 mentioned a couple of posts above plus the long term shortening of the 1st may have influenced that decision. 10-27 was not great either. I have never been a big fan of NB so my opinion may be somewhat biased. They do have 2 of the most stupid par 5's in Australia (12th and 22nd) in that 18 holes. Horses arse.

Unsure about current condition of Horizons. I played there before Xmas and the 9th was undergoing massive renos so was playing as a par 3 with a temp. Condition has been on the improve over the last 12 months and I still think it is a fantastic layout. Maybe worth a phone call.

I played Newcastle last Friday week. It was okay, but the greens were not great. New board took over a month ago so they may improve. Last 4 holes don't handle the rain well so are probably a bit sloppy at the moment. For some reason, they have lined all the fairways with a strip of sand down either side...couple of metres wide and fairly firm. Looks reasonably natural but I don't get it.

I heard a rumour about Kooindah...everywhere has been suffering from the heat and lack of water. Rumour has it that they used some water on the greens that had a high salt content. Bad juju. As I stated, unsure as to the accuracy of this information. Maybe give Magenta a call?

Disclaimer: My opinion only. If anyone has a differing opinion, they're wrong.

Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist
    But you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Sizeable write-up on their FB page that I just found...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...41427205940657

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by KristianJ View Post
    Sizeable write-up on their FB page that I just found...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...41427205940657
    Yes they emailed me about this over the weekend. My mate that is a member said the greens were completely rooted, hence the measures taken to rectify.

Member Trainee Pro

Thanks Haystacks, We originally booked Magenta and they called me back stating that they were coring their greens actually today and that we could play but he wanted me to be aware. Chances are now they probably haven't done them given the weather!

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Played Kooindah with a friend last week. Greens are gone, like very gone. They'll come back but id stay away. They lost them due to using bad water from what i can tell. Bad bad bad for them. Give it 3 months.

Magenta did core yesterday and today. Course is in great nick but will need a few weeks for the greens to come back obviously. Otherwise we have a tonne of water and and bunkers are getting better.

My choice would be either head north to Newy or Horizons or even some other the smaller tracks up there.

Should add go play Cypress Lakes or Hunter Crown (whatever it is). Played Cypress last week and it was good. Few holes with construction but a great round none the less
    Last edited by Matt 3 Jab; 7th March 2017 at 08:07 PM.

Banned

Belmont is worth a run as well. Played it a few weeks back for the first time and it was nice. Be ready for the wind though!

Oh yeah. Belmont. Awesome track!! Fun in the wind

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Oh yeah. Belmont. Awesome track!! Fun in the wind
    I could probably think of another word for the wind starting with F!

Member Trainee Pro

Thanks Guys...

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Skip Cypress and play The Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by fredstar View Post
    Skip Cypress and play The Vintage
    Disagree so play both and see which you like and you can't lose

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Played Kooindah with a friend last week. Greens are gone, like very gone. They'll come back but id stay away. They lost them due to using bad water from what i can tell. Bad bad bad for them. Give it 3 months.

Magenta did core yesterday and today. Course is in great nick but will need a few weeks for the greens to come back obviously. Otherwise we have a tonne of water and and bunkers are getting better.

My choice would be either head north to Newy or Horizons or even some other the smaller tracks up there.

Should add go play Cypress Lakes or Hunter Crown (whatever it is). Played Cypress last week and it was good. Few holes with construction but a great round none the less
    I had a round booked at kooindah for next Monday and they called and said they had only lost 3 greens... is that the case or is it all of them???

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say every green is affected in some way. They were shocking when I was there a week ago.

What will they be like now? Not sure. But I believe a few temporary greens are going in and the rest may not have fully recovered.

I would say every green is affected in some way. They were shocking when I was there a week ago.

What will they be like now? Not sure. But I believe a few temporary greens are going in and the rest may not have fully recovered.
    Ah right thanks mate. I'll give it a run anyway and report back

Just for anyone interested. Of the greens in play at kooindah these are the best and the worst. Most of them in play are pretty bad

Member Trainee Pro

So guys quick trip report. We ended up getting onto Newcastle on Thursday instead of Kooindah. Lovely golf course one I would really like to play again now that I know where to hit it on a few of those blind tee shots. A few of the greens were a bit dodgy but overall great course. The price with a cart was a bit steep for what it offers $110 on a Thursday afternoon.

Played Pacific Dunes on Friday morning in few showers, fairways were really nice and overall the greens were good apart from a few that were a bit patchy here and there.

Lastly we played Nelson Bay on Sunday arvo, played 19-27 and 1-9. Fairways were good and greens were cut the shortest of the three courses and rolled really nicely apart from the odd patch here and there. Who ever designed that par 5 I think 22nd hole is a saddest! Sooooo hard.

We drank plenty at the shoal bay country club and had a good punt there on Saturday. The fishing club in Shoal Bay has really good food if you are ever up that way! The meals are huge!

Banned

Ah the old Shoal Bay Country Club.........I have no memories of that place

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

22nd is only the second stupidest par 5. Luckily you didn't play the 12th...

Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist
    But you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Thread Information