Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Golf Package reviews.

Hi All,
    Im just trying to get back into the game after many years. I would like to get myself a semi decent package set to replace my ancient "Hack Sticks". My trouble is, working out what to get. I have searched for online reviews of beginner/game improvement type sets and can find nothing. Plenty of reviews for golf clubs that cost a million dollars each. Is there someone out there that does video reviews of all the fancy clubs that might consider doing some reviews for those of us that have no idea what is a better club at that price point. Sorry if this rant has been posted before, but frustration and hope has prompted me to post.

Jim

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Hi Jim,

Golf Clubs are a bit like Cars, the early depreciation from new is horrendous. Most here buy 2nd hand at significantly lower cost. But there are also some good deal out there for superseded models e.g. Golf Clearance Outlet have new Taylormade M3/M4 sets on sale for less than half what they original sold for when first released;

https://www.golfclearanceoutlet.com....tml?pos_brands[]=pos_brands_652

And Golfbox have some similar sort of packaged deals;

https://www.golfbox.com.au/clubs/pac...om_player:Mens

Ditto Boyles Golf Shed;

https://www.golfshed.com.au/package-deals

These are all well regarded retailers that many of us buy from with confidence.

The trick will be to work out which packages will best suit you. Attending a couple of club demos might help in that regard.

Yeh, I understand that. I live in country NSW. Very hard to get to Golf demo days, or even visit the larger retailers. And yes, I agree that golf clubs are bit like cars. But They still do reviews on a Kia Rio. Just voicing a bit of frustration. I have visited most, if not all the web sites you mentioned. Looked at many of the different packages that were there. And could find no review on any of them. Yes there are reviews for Up Market iron sets, but as a newbie to golf, or in my case returning after a long absence, I am looking for a package set that is of reasonable quality and playability at a reasonable cost.
    Last edited by Jim80h; 15th August 2019 at 10:31 AM.

I like watching Rick Shiels, Mark Crossfield and Peter Finch on YouTube, they have pretty good videos.
    Maybe try cleaning up your current sticks and using those till you see something you like, surely your local golf pro shop will let you demo out stuff when you go for a round.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Jim, I reckon if you let people here know your price point, they might be able to pull a set together for you. I'm sure there are plenty here that have older sets sitting around that they could sell.

Or you could do what many others do and keep buying and selling until you find equipment that you love, then keep buying and selling anyway.

There's the rub, my local course no longer has a Pro Shop. I think people have misinterpreted what I was trying to get at. I am happy to use my old clubs for the moment, I just wondered why there were no reviews for people like me. Your first set of clubs is a big investment when getting into the sport, so making an informed decision would be more likely a positive to keep someone playing. Just a thought from a newbie.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

What search engine are you using?
    AcademicInfo.net

Try Google

I suggest buying Cobra clubs if you have no clue.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Plenty of reviews out there,type in any model you can think of and away you go

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Life's too short to play package sets. Just buy what you need, when you need it.

Here's 49 pages for review goodness ...
    https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...d-Club-Reviews
    Like all good people, the reviewer was born before the moon landing.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Life's too short to play package sets. Just buy what you need, when you need it. Here's 49 pages for review goodness ...https://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.ph...d-Club-ReviewsLike all good people, the reviewer was born before the moon landing.
    That or search through the Golf Digest Hot Lists.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim80h View Post
    Yeh, I understand that. I live in country NSW. Very hard to get to Golf demo days, or even visit the larger retailers. And yes, I agree that golf clubs are bit like cars. But They still do reviews on a Kia Rio. Just voicing a bit of frustration. I have visited most, if not all the web sites you mentioned. Looked at many of the different packages that were there. And could find no review on any of them. Yes there are reviews for Up Market iron sets, but as a newbie to golf, or in my case returning after a long absence, I am looking for a package set that is of reasonable quality and playability at a reasonable cost.
    I do reviews Jim, see my Bag Lotto thread. I am 60, so I am a couple of years older than your good self. Feel free to ask me about any clubs that you may be interested in, as I will likely have them or something similar. As others have said, there are plenty of club reviews on Youtube and on the web generally, though not often specifically for Seniors.

PS Golfbox do have club reviews on their website;

https://www.golfbox.com.au/golfbox-r...utube-channel/
    Last edited by Daves; 15th August 2019 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jim80h View Post
    There's the rub, my local course no longer has a Pro Shop. I think people have misinterpreted what I was trying to get at. I am happy to use my old clubs for the moment, I just wondered why there were no reviews for people like me. Your first set of clubs is a big investment when getting into the sport, so making an informed decision would be more likely a positive to keep someone playing. Just a thought from a newbie.
    Real golfers and cool kids don’t buy package sets. You’re supposed to spend $800 on a driver to get into the game.

If you’re in the market for a reasonably priced package set, one isn’t going to seem much different from another.

Find one at a price you’re happy with from a manufacturer with a decent warranty and buy it. It will be ok.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

You might need to search for individual package sets to find reviews. The link below looks like a good starting point.

https://heavy.com/sports/2018/10/bes...for-beginners/

Having never tried a package set I've got no idea how different they are to each other. Like lots of people on here I tend to chase bargains on gumtree and eBay. If it suits me it stays in the bag, if not I'll get most of my money back or occasionally a small profit to support my habit.

Thread Information