Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi All

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Default Hi All

Hi everyone, newbie from Melbourne here.

I'm 24, just started playing golf around christmas last year because I wanted to get out more for exercise and have a bit of fun. It's working well, I've walked 280km while playing golf so far and I've lost 10kg. Only downside is I've developed a serious addiction , I've been playing two or three a week at the local public courses near me and I'm improving slowly but steadily. I started of scoring around 130 and I'm now shooting low 100s. I've just started getting lessons because I'm pretty keen to improve even more.

Looking forward to learning more about the game and getting some insights from you guys,
    Anthony

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Welcome mate,what courses do you isually play

Thanks. My friends play at Sandy and Cheltenham on weekends so I've been playing with them there. During the week I've been going to different courses by myself. I've played at Brighton, Chelsea, Springpark, Malvern Valley, Morack and Mount Martha. I live about 5 minutes away from Springpark which is okay and usually not too busy so I play 18 holes there in about an hour and half. I prefer to go to Malvern, Morack or Mount Martha which are all about 30 minutes away when I have time though.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard, Anthony.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Welcome Anthony, you dont live far from keysborough GC, I regularly shoot in the low 100's there
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Welcome to the forum.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spanner039 View Post
    Welcome Anthony, you dont live far from keysborough GC, I regularly shoot in the low 100's there
    Did you only play 12 holes?
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Good thing your shiny new 30 handicap allows that.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thanks, I live in Aspendale Gardens so just down the road from Keysborough. I've been considering joining one of the nearby clubs, there's a few around me that would be affordable for me. I'm not sure how I feel about only playing at one course though, I quite like playing different courses each round. It would defientely be more cost effective than paying greens fees though and I think it would be good to have access to practice facilities.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Keysborough is advertising a lifestyle membership (7 day playing rights I think )for 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Thanks, I live in Aspendale Gardens so just down the road from Keysborough. I've been considering joining one of the nearby clubs, there's a few around me that would be affordable for me. I'm not sure how I feel about only playing at one course though, I quite like playing different courses each round. It would defientely be more cost effective than paying greens fees though and I think it would be good to have access to practice facilities.
    I am with RACV golf.For $245 a year I think,I get discount on green fees,free and cheap rounds at some of the RACV courses and a golf handicap so I can enter club comps.Worth it if you get out there enough.

The RACV golf membership looks interesting I'll look into it a bit more. I've looked at some of the 7 day membership options around me for a 24 year old. $1900 including fees and hospitality levy at Keysborough, $1400 at Southern + $7 competition fee, $1700 at Rossdale, $973 at Patterson Rive, $1300 at Settlers Run and $800 at Ranfurlie.

I'm considering the Patterson River membership because it's less than 10 minutes from me and looks like a nice course. I haven't played there but I went and had a look plus the reviews seem good. At that price I would only have to play about 25 rounds to break even so I could still go and play at other courses. Also the price stays the same until I'm 29 whereas Southern and Keysborough go up after I turn 25. Rossdale looks like it's in very good condition but the course layout seems a little boring. Settlers Run and Ranfurlie also look like nice courses but they are a little further away 25-30 minutes drive.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Welcome Anthony! You're doing well to get around Spring Park twice in an hour and a half, my PB is an hour and 5 for 9 holes!

Not sure of the others,but if your hitting around 100 on public courses,you can probably add 10 to 15 stromes at Settlers Run on your first round,and a few lost balls.

You don't have to commit to being a member unless you want to get into comp.Just for the simple pleasure of playing the game,just pick a half decent track and enjoy the walk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    The RACV golf membership looks interesting I'll look into it a bit more. I've looked at some of the 7 day membership options around me for a 24 year old. $1900 including fees and hospitality levy at Keysborough, $1400 at Southern + $7 competition fee, $1700 at Rossdale, $973 at Patterson Rive, $1300 at Settlers Run and $800 at Ranfurlie.

I'm considering the Patterson River membership because it's less than 10 minutes from me and looks like a nice course. I haven't played there but I went and had a look plus the reviews seem good. At that price I would only have to play about 25 rounds to break even so I could still go and play at other courses. Also the price stays the same until I'm 29 whereas Southern and Keysborough go up after I turn 25. Rossdale looks like it's in very good condition but the course layout seems a little boring. Settlers Run and Ranfurlie also look like nice courses but they are a little further away 25-30 minutes drive.
    A cheap one is a good idea for your first club membership I reckon. It'll give you a chance to figure out if a membership is good value and regular golf fits in with your lifestyle. If it doesn't work for you it won't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeAy View Post
    Welcome Anthony! You're doing well to get around Spring Park twice in an hour and a half, my PB is an hour and 5 for 9 holes!
    Thanks, my friends say I play pretty fast. I usually go there at night around 6:30 or 7 so the course is pretty empty so I don't have to wait on anyone. If I'm not going that well and losing a lot of balls it can take closer to 2 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Not sure of the others,but if your hitting around 100 on public courses,you can probably add 10 to 15 stromes at Settlers Run on your first round,and a few lost balls.

You don't have to commit to being a member unless you want to get into comp.Just for the simple pleasure of playing the game,just pick a half decent track and enjoy the walk

Settlers Run looks like a very challenging course especially compared to the public courses, seems like I would do well to only add 10-15 strokes on there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    A cheap one is a good idea for your first club membership I reckon. It'll give you a chance to figure out if a membership is good value and regular golf fits in with your lifestyle. If it doesn't work for you it won't break the bank.
    Yeah, that's my thinking. If I don't really like it I won't be out too much if I just play there casually.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Welcome Anthony
    Good to see u doing your best to shoot in the low 30's so it handicap goes up.

Welcome Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Did you only play 12 holes?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Good thing your shiny new 30 handicap allows that.
    See what a loving place this is
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Thread Information