Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2017 LPGA Tour

Tank, your absolutely right when you say the problem lies in how they govern the game of golf.

For me, they have a real problem when TV viewers are the ones deciding the outcomes of major golf tournaments from their lounge chairs, on a ruling from over 24 hours previous.

And your dead right when you say no one should benefit from cheating. But the police need to be patrolling the whole city, not just one suburb.

Hippo i can't guarantee you that, all the more reason why the system needs to
    change so everyone is monitored.

For me Hippo there is no tradeoff. I'm sure the golfer battling an opponent, who are both midfield, for $50000 prizemoney difference would tend to disagree.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

When I turn pro, and I'm in contention for a major (which could be quite some time off, I must admit), I am going to refuse to sign my card until I have received confirmation from the viewers that I haven't committed any unintentional breaches that I am going to subsequently be penalised for.

I have no real problem with the original two shot penalty, although I am puzzled that nobody, not playing partners, not commentators or production people, picked it up at the time. I suspect, as Daves noted, that if you were really pedantic about this, you'd find a breach in every tournament.

I have a major problem with the second penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Anyway, I shall be scrutinising the replays of the Masters with a completely different focus. I reckon I can find a breach by Nick Faldo in 96 to get Greg home.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turbulence Hunter View Post
    Tank, your absolutely right when you say the problem lies in how they govern the game of golf.

For me, they have a real problem when TV viewers are the ones deciding the outcomes of major golf tournaments from their lounge chairs, on a ruling from over 24 hours previous.

And your dead right when you say no one should benefit from cheating. But the police need to be patrolling the whole city, not just one suburb.

Hippo i can't guarantee you that, all the more reason why the system needs to
    change so everyone is monitored.

For me Hippo there is no tradeoff. I'm sure the golfer battling an opponent, who are both midfield, for $50000 prizemoney difference would tend to disagree.
    But I bet some of those midfield players would give their right (or left!) preverbial for some of the publicity and talent that the top players are blessed with. They probably feel like they've got it all over LT in the ball marking stats and could put the ball down in the right spot and not have to worry about a 4 shot penalty.

Let's not forget here that LT was the one who stuffed this up for herself. If she had marked, lifted and replaced her ball CORRECTLY, we would not be talking about this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    When I turn pro, and I'm in contention for a major (which could be quite some time off, I must admit), I am going to refuse to sign my card until I have received confirmation from the viewers that I haven't committed any unintentional breaches that I am going to subsequently be penalised for.

I have no real problem with the original two shot penalty, although I am puzzled that nobody, not playing partners, not commentators or production people, picked it up at the time. I suspect, as Daves noted, that if you were really pedantic about this, you'd find a breach in every tournament.

I have a major problem with the second penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard.

Anyway, I shall be scrutinising the replays of the Masters with a completely different focus. I reckon I can find a breach by Nick Faldo in 96 to get Greg home.
    LOL! 6 shots is a lot to find!

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    LOL! 6 shots is a lot to find!
    Only have to find 1, then it's DQ Nick for signing incorrect scorecard.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Only have to find 1, then it's DQ Nick for signing incorrect scorecard.
    Oh yes! That's the correct ruling in 96!

What, precisely, is the purpose of having someone else mark your card?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The Pro at our club a couple of weeks ago was only telling me of the story at the British Open and Gary Player.

The cameras picked the spot where his drive went right into the boonge on the road hole in the final round. All of the players and officials were also looking in the same spot for the ball.
    His caddy went about 50 yards further and yelled out "here it is". He played and ended up winning.
    The green staff went back the next day and cut the boonge down and found Gary's ball exactly where the camera saw it go in. It was his ball because it had his initials on it.

There were also those incidents with Vijay.

All I'm trying to say I guess is that cheating will always be a part of the game under pressure.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Blog Entries

Just saw the video. That's as accidental as John Hopoate.

I saw a pennant player do a 'mark to the side and replace in front', but not in a single action. I didn't say anything as there were 20 people watching a tight match, and thought I may have been mistaken, since none of the opponents picked it up.

After the match, I mentioned it to the player to be more careful in future. Next week, he brought his brother to caddy for him instead of me. (He also had the bad habit on short putts of snatching the ball, as it began to drop into the hole.)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The only issue I have with this is the involvement of the home viewer. In what other sport does someone get to watch a replay and call in a rule infringement from a previous day? Armchair critics don't get to retrospectively call back a forward pass or recall a batsman after a dropped catch. If the sport wants video replays influencing the game they should do it with officials and at least on the day it occurred rather than halfway through the next round.

And I call bullshit on this particular home viewer. Firstly, as someone else said, who watches a replay of women's golf? Secondly, who watches it instead of the live final round? Thirdly, what kind of anal retentive psychopath scrutinizes televised golf closely enough to pick up something like that? I dunno if they had money riding on it but for whatever reason they clearly didn't want Lexi to win.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

In the other sports they have umpires and referees on the spot to interpret and apply the rules. How many of those forward passes would be called back by the passer if the ref said nothing?

I don't know the answer but golf has its own problems which require their own solutions. Comparisons to other sports are largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    And I call bullshit on this particular home viewer. Firstly, as someone else said, who watches a replay of women's golf? Secondly, who watches it instead of the live final round? Thirdly, what kind of anal retentive psychopath scrutinizes televised golf closely enough to pick up something like that? I dunno if they had money riding on it but for whatever reason they clearly didn't want Lexi to win.
    I still think it was BITS (even though he claims it was his Mum):
    1. BITS - watches women's golf replays on slow motion (for the view).
    2. BITS - can pause and rewind to the good bits.
    3. BITS - he messages me all the timestamps in the coverage so I don't waste my time watching meaningless golf.
    4. BITS - he won money on the other lass.

I can't see anyone fitting the description as well as him.

Personally I would record the Womens Golf and watch later. I probably wouldn't record the PGA at the moment because why would I want to sit there and watch Keegan stutter for 2 minutes before hitting, Jordan for discussing his shot for 1 and a half minutes and Matsuyama complaining that he hit it 10 feet from the pin.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Yeh this one is iffy. Is it deliberate? Dunno. Stupid? Yes.

Its a penalisable offence, I don't think too many will argue that with the current rules that is the case.

But I really think they need to bring in some kind of "timing" for penalties. Personally if it hasnt been reported before the player starts their next round, move on. What about those who should incur penalties in the final round?? Maybe up to midnight of that night or something.

Also, wasn't there something bought out last year that stopped viewers from reporting incidents like this?? Or was that only talked about??

Member Trainee Pro

So Yeon Ryu should have hit a massive slice on the playoff hole to allow Lexi to win. It would have sent a clear message to the authorities that the pros are not going to put up with viewers calling in for trivial discretions.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_Syd View Post
    So Yeon Ryu should have hit a massive slice on the playoff hole to allow Lexi to win. It would have sent a clear message to the authorities that the pros are not going to put up with viewers calling in for trivial discretions.
    I was thinking this while watching it....what would I do???

I would like to think I would do the right thing, but I also don't blame her for going for the win. The situation was not of her making.

Default 2017 LPGA Tour

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I still think it was BITS (even though he claims it was his Mum):
    1. BITS - watches women's golf replays on slow motion (for the view).
    2. BITS - can pause and rewind to the good bits.
    3. BITS - he messages me all the timestamps in the coverage so I don't waste my time watching meaningless golf.
    4. BITS - he won money on the other lass.

I can't see anyone fitting the description as well as him.
    I told you 9pm Sunday night. You were raving about Hana. I told you Ryu would win and I had an ace up my sleeve. I was watching the replay Sunday night as well.
    Last edited by backintheswing; 4th April 2017 at 02:28 PM.

Looked intentional in the footage I saw, and personally I would rather watch ladies golf than mens.

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    I told you 9pm Sunday night. You were raving about Hana. I told you Ryu would win and I had an ace up my sleeve. I was watching the replay Sunday night as well.
    I don't watch women's golf as a contest to determine a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

And I call bullshit on this particular home viewer. Firstly, as someone else said, who watches a replay of women's golf? Secondly, who watches it instead of the live final round? Thirdly, what kind of anal retentive psychopath scrutinizes televised golf closely enough to pick up something like that?.
    Ron, presumably this punter is from the same gene pool that produces touch judges.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

He and Jack bring up great points.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    He and Jack bring up great points.
    Not surprised by Mickelson's statement. Agree with Nicklaus as well. Should be dealt with before the cards are signed and if not, should be left at that.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Not surprised by Mickelson's statement. Agree with Nicklaus as well. Should be dealt with before the cards are signed and if not, should be left at that.
    Bit of a gamble by Phil bringing it up?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information