Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Tomorrow is FLC Ha Long Bay. Pics and course review to come
    FLC Ha Long Bay.

I have no idea how many squillion tonnes of dirt they moved to build the course, but it was plenty.

Built as the cornerstone of a huge tourist development, the course winds its was around the local hills affording spectacular views of Ha Long Bay at every opportunity.

The course plays typical asian slow and soft, but has some very well layed out and interesting holes going up and down the mountains.

Cost was around $200aud once caddy tips and single player fees were included.

Reminded me of a cross between National Old and Red Mountain. Better than BaNa or Montgomery Links at Danang.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

How good is that view over the water? Wow!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Looks like a greener Cape Schanck with wider fairways.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Shits all over Cape Schanck as a course.

As for views, NSW has some spectacular ones, but these are out of this world.

Now I have time, its surprisingly penal. Miss the fairway and you wont see your ball again.

However once you found the fairway off the tee, there was tons on room around greens.

I played Blues. Blacks would have been slightly soul crushing with repeated 200m carries over vast valleys to make the fairway.

Other thoughts. The Index 1 11th had a verticle climb of maybe 50m in its 410y. I hit driver 5w perfectly to find the front trap.

Club yardages were difficult to work out as well. The heavy air this morning and lack of roll saw me taking an extra club all day.

The G series woods and I200 irons were great for a hire set. No idiot marks on any of them....

Would I play here again? For sure. I sent the kids to the waterpark with the wife whilst I was golfing, and they had a blast.

Great day all round.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Continuing on the Vietnam golf reviews, today was BRG Da Nang.
    Da Nang is the fastest growing and most modern city in Vietnam. Located roughly centrally on the coast, its booming with 10km of resorts ala Gold Coast being built.
    Currently there is BRG Danang Norman and a newly opened 9 holes Nicklaus course, and Montgomery Links 1km down the road

I played the 9 Nicklaus and the front 9 of Norman due ro renos on the back.

Cost like all Vietnam was around $250 including transfers, club hire, cart, caddy.

The Nicklaus course was somewhat underwhelming. A few penal lakes, but very few opportunities to be heroic for extra reward.

They are starting on the next 9 now so will be interesting to see what ends up.

The Norman Course is great. Think Settlers Run, think Point Cook (cant remember its name at the moment). Not National Moonah good, but still would be top 100 in Aus easily.

Lots of movement through the dunes land, wide, not too penal, but a funky set of greens that were firm and fast. Holes are surrounded by what looks like casuarinas which fram the holes and offer some privacy.

I have been lucky enough to now play BRG, BaNa Hills and Montgomery Links in this area.

BRG Norman is 1, BaNa is tough if you want the challenge, Montgomery is fun and funky. Nicklaus.... Yeah but nah.

There are now plans for another 15 or so world class courses in Vietnam. This will be a golf tourist destination.

Finally, if you are intimidated by booking, google golf asian. They organised everything and get a thumbs up from me.

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Nice one!

Point Cook = Sanctuary Lakes
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Is your caddy rubbing her fingers together ala where's the cash at ? 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by BayBum View Post
    Is your caddy rubbing her fingers together ala where's the cash at ? 🙂
    Just another high tipping fat aussie

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Looks great must get there again with clubs in towBtw your cap is fake pretty surprised you didn’t notice the backward writing at the market

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

I'm heading out there soon and looking at the Montgomery course, not taking my sticks this time, anyone know what the hire clubs are like there?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

When I played Montgomery about 5 years ago I had the latest Cobra setup.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
    I'm heading out there soon and looking at the Montgomery course, not taking my sticks this time, anyone know what the hire clubs are like there?
    Every set of hire clubs I hired from pro shops were latest and greatest - G400 Pings, Titleist.

When I sourced clubs through GolfAsian, they were some pretty old Titleists - but amazingly worked well.

Chopperlink

WITB

Thread Information