Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default The Ashes 2006/7

Well we've had the ticketing debacle which was all over the news. Has there ever been a major ticket sales event where ticketmaster (or whoever) don't have a total meltdown?

Overnight the Poms had a bit of a hiccup when Sri Lanka managed to win the third test for 1-1 series draw. The fact that Murali was the destroyer with about 25 wickets in 3 tests aside - it doesn't look too good for the Poms right now. They have the Pakis next who beat them at home just a couple of months ago.

Was 2005 just a flash in the pan? They had no injuries back then and only played 12 blokes for the whole series. They may not have the depth to match us if they get a couple of niggles prior to October.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

We'll smash them over here.

Our boys will be fired up beyond belief.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Who needs to worry about buying tickets when you get in for free with a mate?

Senior Member Major Winner

The ticketing was a joke, but i didn't get too upset over it. All days will be on free to air regardless.

I think the Poms find something else when they play us, but they aren't looking too strong right now. I think Vaughan out of the team and Flintoff as captain highlights a gap to fill.

Should be a raft of Aussie retirements early 2007.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

only problem i can see will be our limited match practice before the series starts

hardly a great warmup to an Ashes series

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    only problem i can see will be our limited match practice before the series starts

hardly a great warmup to an Ashes series

I think that is probably a good thing. Instead of some sub par team on a sub par pitch, they can play a couple of domestic games against each other on the wickets they will be playing on during the summer.

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

I got ten 5 day passes for the Gabba Test and also got tickets to Day 1 & 2 of Boxing Day test.

If you were prepared in advance the ticketing wasn't too bad.

What I don't get is why they released the tickets for EVERY Test on the same day, surely they could have staggered them out a bit....
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

maybe it was some kind of plan to prevent the Barmy Army snapping them all up ???

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I'm waiting to hear from mates (not Moe - not saying that Moe isn't a mate) if they were able to pick me up some tickets. They said they would and I'd reimburse them.
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman
    What I don't get is why they released the tickets for EVERY Test on the same day, surely they could have staggered them out a bit....
    And they released the one-day tickets on the same day. Pretty stupid.

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

If the Poms were injury free I'd back them - but Jones is going under the knife, Flintoff has ankle problems and Harmison is just getting back from injury. James Anderson has stress fractures. Still 6 months to go but right now the Aussies are in front.
    Disregarding injuries I think the Poms have the better captain and coach/manager. Their fast bowlers are better than ours. The batting is pretty even with Ponting the standout of the 2 sides. The only area we have a clear advantage is the spin attack.

Disregarding injuries I think the Poms have the better captain and coach/manager. Their fast bowlers are better than ours. The batting is pretty even with Ponting the standout of the 2 sides. The only area we have a clear advantage is the spin attack.
    Based on what?
    I'll give you the captain argument, not sure about the coach.
    Fast bowling - MacGrath is the best fast bowler hands down. I don't rate Lee and I'm not sure on the status of Dizzy but at his best he is better than any of the Poms as well. For the sake of the argument I'll rate Freddy at 2, Jones at 3 and bracket Harmi with Dizzy and Kasper.
    Spinner - No Contest
    Wicket Keeper - No Contest
    Batsmen - Ponting is in a class of his own. Langer and Hayden are also as good as anyone on the Poms side of the fence. Strauss and Vaughan are the only two World Class bats in the pommy lineup. Not to mention that on current form, Hussey ****s on any of the poms as well. So we have the best 4 batsman and depending opn who they pick at 4 and 6 we could have 6 of the best 8.
    All Rounder - No contest

We are far superior and will belt them this time around.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

goughy

And don't forget. While the poms beat us last time, they only just beat us. And that was with them playing pretty good and us pretty ordinary. One ball given not out off of caspers shoulder/elbow (whatever) instead of incorreclty out off his glove and we've won the ashes, not the poms. One mistaken (I have no probs with it, mistakes happen) descision and the ashes were theirs.

Anyway, don't forget that we beat everyone hands down in the field. That's worth a few wickets per test as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe Norman
    Wicket Keeper - No Contest

One who catches or one who bats ??? and yes, I did watch the last tour...

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    One who catches or one who bats ??? and yes, I did watch the last tour...
    If they are still using Geraint Jones, then he does neither.

they were both terrible last Ashes, but Gilly is still the best in the world with Sangakarra closing fast
    Moe Norman

Given thier form lately the Poms are gaaaaaaawwwwwwwn.
    I'm back.

I think McGrath is finished. He was putting them on the spot and nothing more last summer. Probably the best pace bowler since Malcolm Marshall, but all the same it ends for everyone at some stage. Jason Gillespie is currently averaging over 50 with the ball in county cricket and Kasper is known as "the friendly paceman" for more than the obvious reason.
    Ageing batsmen have their career's ended by pace - Flintoff, Harmison and Jones are quick. Gilchrist, Langer, Martyn and Hayden are old.
    I'm surprised by the short memories. If Flintoff, Harmison and Jones are 100% come Ashes time we're in trouble.

Simon Jones has been ruled out of the Ashes. Australia are definite favourites now and Gilchrist, Martyn, Langer and Hayden can sleep a bit more peacefully.

England 2005 had as good a 4 man pace attack as has been seen in a decade. If Jones doesn't come out (he probably still has nightmares about day 1 at the 'Gabba) then that does leave a significant hole in their side.

Another crack appeared last night.

The Poms failed to win against the Pakis at Lords, despite posting 571 in the first innings. Flintoff is out injured and Harmison did nothing. Bell made a ton which is more than he's made in his career against the Aussies.

I can sense a bit of blood in the water right now.

can't wait Bruce ... i hope we smash the Pommie pricks

Who's going to see any of the tests?
    I'll be seeing at least one day at the Gabba.

After the shamozzle of the ticketing, we didn't even put up our hands. If anything i reckon the Barmy Army will be stronger this year. Absolute joke.

What i found intriguing is that after the initial ticket-run had ended (30 minutes after it began), another 200000 tickets were released a month later. What happened here?! Did they misplace a bucketfull of tickets and find them behind the couch??!!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

my 50 tickets arrived today

thats right baby - I bought TEN 5 Day Passes and this year instead of issuing an actual 5 day pass, they provided 10 individual tickets for each day.

I don't reckon I'll buy one beer any of those 5 days
    Moe Norman

Thread Information