Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Cricket 2016/7 Season

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australi...y/1063605.html

What better note to start a new season's cricket thread than with a selection controversy.

I suspect Joe Mennie has been picked for his drink carrying talents, but it is a mystery. While he took shield wickets last year, he didn't look like much in the SA one-dayers.

Joe Burns is unlucky, but I suspect he'll be in the team before the end of the summer. Any batsman who fails twice will be looking over their shoulder at him.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Mennie has been excellent with the ball for some time for SA but to justify his selection because of his batting looks like he will play. What a terrible reason to pick him tho - I thought MMarsh was the all rounder. The biggest thing holding Australia back at the moment is the left field selections

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Mennie has been excellent with the ball for some time for SA but to justify his selection because of his batting looks like he will play. What a terrible reason to pick him tho - I thought MMarsh was the all rounder. The biggest thing holding Australia back at the moment is the left field selections
    Ok so they didn't pick him.

Good start for Aus tho, getting Amla for 0. I'm only following online - is anyone watching that can say whether its a WACA pitch of old, or another featherbed?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Ok so they didn't pick him.

Good start for Aus tho, getting Amla for 0. I'm only following online - is anyone watching that can say whether its a WACA pitch of old, or another featherbed?
    Much better than last year. Not a lot of movement, but good consistent bounce and a fast outfield. The wickets have come because they are bowling most in the channel, and generally pitching on a good length.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Going to turn into a good test this one very even at the moment , losing Steyn for SA is a huge blow probably evens the sides up though

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

I'll be upfront, I was never a massive wrap for M Clarke when he was captain of our first 11.

I have to to tell you my opinion of him as a commentator doesn't differ greatly from the above. I think I'm going to call him pinnochio because he sounds so damn wooden

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Stop listening to channel 9; mute it and put on the radio commentary or music.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Another groovy middle order performance.

If we can't win with Steyne out, could be a long series. Might force some long overdue changes, if there is anyone of quality coming through of course!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The shield scores from yesterday do not look promising.

Its still a problem , when we lose 3 wickets so quick it really exposes it , Khawaja got an absolute cracker and Smith was unlucky but out , we need a stronger bat out of either the WK position or the all rounder spot but who ?

Potentially Burns in for Mitch Marsh and go with four bowlers plus Smith/Voges rolling arm over for a few overs. Not sure if we have an allrounder to replace Mitch with given Maxwell isnt even in the Vic Shield team.

Khawaja will get another chance but he cant afford to not make some runs as his recent record is poor.

Shaun Marsh going well for me. I know everyone says he bats slowly but with Warner seeing them like beachballs all he needs to do is rotate the strike and hit the lose ones for four. His two catches have been brilliant

Probably the most sensible way to go , Shaun Marsh should be safe now perfect foil for Warner , the top 4 is how it should be if they are all in form , they were probably forced to pick Mitch with a bit of a cloud hanging over Starc . While the bowlings going ok gee it looks brittle , if we lose Starc we are in big strife , Siddle is bowling pedestrian medium at best , Hazelwood has bowled well though

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Notice that 4x Australia lost 2 wickets for 1 run, That's like having back to back triple bogies
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy101 View Post
    Potentially Burns in for Mitch Marsh and go with four bowlers plus Smith/Voges rolling arm over for a few overs. Not sure if we have an allrounder to replace Mitch with given Maxwell isnt even in the Vic Shield team.Khawaja will get another chance but he cant afford to not make some runs as his recent record is poor.Shaun Marsh going well for me. I know everyone says he bats slowly but with Warner seeing them like beachballs all he needs to do is rotate the strike and hit the lose ones for four. His two catches have been brilliant
    Maxwell is back in for the Vics and is batting now, I assume whatever his indiscretion was that got him dropped has been forgiven.Khawaja will need to score runs consistently, he keeps opening his mouth and sooking about things (like being dropped in Sri Lanka) so he will get less brownie points then others.

Should be no changes for the next test. Your best 11 as picked by the selectors doesn't suddenly become not your best 11. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone. Mitch Marsh hasn't suddenly become any better or worse a batsman in 1 game

Should be no changes for the next test. Your best 11 as picked by the selectors doesn't suddenly become not your best 11. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone. Mitch Marsh hasn't suddenly become any better or worse a batsman in 1 game
    But it isn't our best 11, and everyone except 3 selectors and 1 coach know it.

Hopefully our bats have been watching SA bat today. The odd ball has done a bit, and there is some reverse swing, but Duminy and Elgar have watched the ball and played good shots most of the time. It isn't as difficult as we made it look. It is just as well Hashim Amla is in terrible form, though.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    But it isn't our best 11, and everyone except 3 selectors and 1 coach know it.

Hopefully our bats have been watching SA bat today. The odd ball has done a bit, and there is some reverse swing, but Duminy and Elgar have watched the ball and played good shots most of the time. It isn't as difficult as we made it look. It is just as well Hashim Amla is in terrible form, though.
    That's kinda my point tho. It's the selectors themselves that need to have a rethink, not the search for the mythical all-rounder that doesn't currently exist. If the selectors chop Marsh they'll probably just pick Maxwell or Henriques or someone else not good enough to hold down a batting spot on merit - and that's the real issue right now

That's kinda my point tho. It's the selectors themselves that need to have a rethink, not the search for the mythical all-rounder that doesn't currently exist. If the selectors chop Marsh they'll probably just pick Maxwell or Henriques or someone else not good enough to hold down a batting spot on merit - and that's the real issue right now
    Well said. Everyone at golf was dropping half the team today, such short memories and little clue. Voges and Kwaka scored a million runs last home series.

The only selection i was rank about coming in was Mitch Marsh. Shane Watson has absolutely passed the photos on to him.

Burns should have opened, he and Kwaka were indeed scapegoats in Sri Lanka. The selections over there were ludicrous, particularly combined with Smith's bowling choices.

S. Marsh should have been in from the start or for the second test there. At least one of Burns/Kwaka should have survived the axe. It was a perfect chance for our younger bats to gain some experience in the conditions with a view to upcoming sub continent series. The las Australian team to win in the conditions said how important it was that most of them had been involved in losses over there (in those conditions) before.

Burns nabbed a ton against Starc in the lead up to this test and Mitch did nothing.

Shaun deserves his spot but not at Burns expense.

I hope they don't bring in another half baked sub standard allrounder if Marsh finally goes.

Wait for a genuine allrounder or don't pick one. We are a bit unlucky in that no-one (batsman) really bowls any half handy medium pace unlike some prior years.

Having said all this Marsh will probably ton up second dig LOLOLOL

Burns has just had two failures for QLD, very bad timing for him.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I'm biased but I'd like to see Travis Head given a go. There's definitely something about him. Actually we have a few youngsters at the Redbacks right now that seem promising. Son of Boof is another to watch

I think we are a fair way off those guys yet.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Pretty much yes to everything you said TNO , might as well play another decent batsman( if we have one) who can bowl a few ploppers , our bowling ended up looking pretty sad by the end of the day though few boys gonna be bowling a lot of overs by the end of the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers Country View Post
    Pretty much yes to everything you said TNO , might as well play another decent batsman( if we have one) who can bowl a few ploppers , our bowling ended up looking pretty sad by the end of the day though few boys gonna be bowling a lot of overs by the end of the summer
    i'd simply be consolidating the investment in Burns irregardless of the present Shield games. He averages 41 in Tests.

A bigger concern is the way we did not have the class to consolidate two immense advantages in this game. At 4-32 they were on the rack and after failing to fully take advantage we again put our foot down hard on their throat with a 158 run opening stand. Now we are getting thumped, what a f'n turnaround.

Even with Steyn out it's alarming how little we offered when the ball started reversing and doing a tad. On a batting track like this reverse is a lifeline and SA have shown they can get it happening while we've shown we still don't play it well.

Will it be a constant thorn in our side throughout the series?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Major Winner

Fingers crossed we don't knock over the last 4 too quickly. If they get too long to bowl at us today we might not make it to tomorrow.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Fingers crossed we don't knock over the last 4 too quickly. If they get too long to bowl at us today we might not make it to tomorrow.
    Yeah agree with this the longer they bat the longer the test will go. Because once we get, in all of a sudden it will be like their bowling handgrenades at us

Gotta get those risky singles going when playing for a draw.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information