Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

So, the relatively unthinkable has occurred.

If a game involving Australia was scheduled for tomorrow, the players wouldn't play because the terms being offered are not acceptable to them.

At this point it doesn't seem like either side will crumble.

Does anybody have any inside information as to how this will pan out?

The underlying issue is very similar in Rugby League, and I imagine the two sides in that sport will be looking at this dispute very closely.

I recall a few 'labour disputes' in other sports. I don't recall which side won, if either did, but I know the US baseballers had a strike some years ago. Maybe the ice hockey people did as well.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Funny, that you should ask Jim. I just had a conversation with a guy who has had a chat to Pat Howard, who says that they won't be backing down in a hurry. And if revenue sharing came in, they would look to restrict players from going to IPL or similar, if I understood it correctly.

Senior Member Major Winner

Didnt they get a share of revenue in the last agreement?

Yes. If it continued, is what I should have posted while at the pub drinking so take what I said with a grain of salt 5 dollars get outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Funny, that you should ask Jim. I just had a conversation with a guy who has had a chat to Pat Howard, who says that they won't be backing down in a hurry. And if revenue sharing came in, they would look to restrict players from going to IPL or similar, if I understood it correctly.
    I've been wondering why the Board were fighting so strongly to change the revenue share arrangement, because I couldn't see why it was such a big issue. But the point about IPL and other cricket commitments may be a partial explanation.

Administrators always hate revenue share arrangements, partly because the players can then always claim the administrators are a) hiding something or b) incompetant because they weren't generating enough money. But I can very much understand the sticking point that the Board wants to be able to tell Dave Warner that he's going to Zimbabwe as captain of the A Team, while Warner wants to be able to say "sorry, that's in the middle of IPl season. Get knotted ". That might be a hard one to solve.

My view is that the players will eventually crumble, but it might take a while. I wouldn't put any bets on the Bangla Desh tour going ahead.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I reckon the players are divided. Shield players need an agreement, those that can live on T20 money around the world don't. CA need them all and will eventually give in. But to what.

We may never see cricket in this country again.

The channel 9 commentary team can play the Ashes instead. Warney would still get wickets..

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Great series win to the Poms over the Saffas ahead of the tour out here. Apart from one bad Test they rolled them pretty convincingly with big wins. Stokes, Ali, Bairstow, they all improved considerably since we last faced them.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Great series win to the Poms over the Saffas ahead of the tour out here. Apart from one bad Test they rolled them pretty convincingly with big wins. Stokes, Ali, Bairstow, they all improved considerably since we last faced them.
    We've still got major problems with our top 5 (Root and maybe Cook excepted). The reason we lost the one test is in that one the lower order couldn't bail us out. I'd expect that to happen more often over here. That said there's enough about us it shouldn't be 5-0

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    We've still got major problems with our top 5 (Root and maybe Cook excepted). The reason we lost the one test is in that one the lower order couldn't bail us out. I'd expect that to happen more often over here. That said there's enough about us it shouldn't be 5-0
    Still some weak points for sure but an extremely good result. It also makes the upcoming series even more juicy points wise. Can't wait.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I hope the Board didn't make final agreement with the players to give them a lot more money, as has been reported.

Because the evidence of Bangla Desh so far is that they are not providing value for money, and are not likely to do so.

I thought the pitch was a bit of a minefield, and after we got early wickets the spinners should have run through them. Lyon was OK, but without luck, and Agar couldn't find the right length. When he got them in the right place, he was dangerous, particularly if hawkeye is going to regularly give lbw's that far down the pitch.

As for the batting, it seems we have learned nothing. Except that taking suicide quick singles is batting suicide.

I'd like to be wrong, but I have a bad feeling about this game. Just as well Steve Smith is on our side.

Sorry for the late wickets, guys. That's when I switched it on.

Oops, I think that was me again.

Surely this is 2017/8 now?

Dare I say it? Yes I do.

We can still win this game, and we might do it easily if we can get through the first 4 overs unscathed.

Warner and Smith seemed to work out how to play their spinners, and suddenly the wicket didn't seem so difficult. It was good batting in the last session.

AP, in my opinion 2017/8 starts when the domestic season starts, and every comment in the media is directed towards the Ashes. I don't think too many would think Bangladesh is in any way a preparation for The Ashes, so it belongs in 16/17 I reckon.
    Last edited by jimandr; 29th August 2017 at 10:40 PM.

Usman might want to make some runs in the next test if he wants his career to go any further.

He'll be fine back home.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Usman gone after one match. The selectors think Cartwright is a better option with his "ability to bowl".

O'Keefe returns too, even though he didn't get named in the touring squad, which Swepson did, and didn't go to the Darwin training camp, which Holland did.

I'm sure the selectors know what they are doing.....

Usman gone after one match. The selectors think Cartwright is a better option with his "ability to bowl".

O'Keefe returns too, even though he didn't get named in the touring squad, which Swepson did, and didn't go to the Darwin training camp, which Holland did.

Was O'Keefe suspended by NSW?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Was O'Keefe suspended by NSW?
    Yep. He can't play in the upcoming domestic ODI comp.

Hahaha. Cartwright really came on last season and could well develop into a fine international player. Hopefully Kwaka gets picked out here on a horses for courses policy as he has been killing it at home since getting back into the side.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I like how the Cricinfo scorecard has batsman/bowler/allrounder beside all the players' names, but nothing next to Cartwright.

It's OK cricinfo, we don't really know either.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Usman gone after one match. The selectors think Cartwright is a better option with his "ability to be white".

O'Keefe returns too cos he is white as well, even though he didn't get named in the touring squad, which Swepson is not as white as O'Keefe, and didn't go to the Darwin training camp, which Holland did cos he is whiter that Swepsen.

I'm sure the selectors know what they are doing cos they are white and have lots of experience with picking teams that win on the subcontinent .....
    FTFY

Seriously if they are going to pick Cartwright, shouldn't he be replacing Maxwell??

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Lyon taking all (4) the wickets so far.
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
    Lyon taking all (4) the wickets so far.
    Good to see him going o well over there. Hopefully he sets up a sweet little victory.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Mind you we need to keep them well restricted as we are batting last. Our last innings displays on the sub haven't been exactly confidence inspiring.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information