Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Sub 4 hour round

My club has had enough with slow golf.

When we paid up on Saturday they handed out an 'expected time per hole' sheet, with the 18th to be completed in 4 hours. Fall 1 hole behind and you will be penalised a stroke, 2 strokes for a second warning, and DQ for any subsequent. They even had an old bloke marshalling.

Every time they announced the next group over the PA, they advised to keep up with the group in front or be penalised.

We finished in 3 hours 50!

Anyone elses club gone to these lengths? Seemed to work for us, although it was just a stableford round. I can see problems though:

- we didn't get a single call up on a Par 3 (board members in the group in front too!)
    - all it takes is one ball lost under leaves and a 5 minute search (allowable in the rules!)
    - Playing partners will become reluctant to help you find your ball in case you fall behind.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

At Newcastle GC we don’t have a real problem with slow play as the fields for comp days are not ‘jam packed’ & most of the tee boxes are close to the previous green.

Two things they insist on though:
    1) In Par & Stableford competitions, only the player should search for the ball. The others should play on. (Exact wording from club programme)
    2) Buggies should be walked across greens, not around them.

but you cant make players lose a stroke if you fall behind, its an empty threat right?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew
    2) Buggies should be walked across greens, not around them.
    Hang on a minute. I thought this was a cardinal sin?

Choppa - on our greens they'd leave tram-tracks, on harder greens it might not make any difference. Newcastle is a quality track so i'm guessing they wouldn't allow it if they couldn't cope.

Obviously where possible you want to leave your gear nearer the exit point for that hole.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by connico
    but you cant make players lose a stroke if you fall behind, its an empty threat right?
    I am pretty sure if they put it in a local rule they can do what they like.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Wow, I started playing when I was 10, and I don't think any "rule" of golf is any more ingrained in me, than is the one that says don't take your buggy onto the green. Isn't it strange what you remember the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa
    Wow, I started playing when I was 10, and I don't think any "rule" of golf is any more ingrained in me, than is the one that says don't take your buggy onto the green. Isn't it strange what you remember the most.
    Chop , would you want to putt over one of my 110kg footprints or over a track made by my 20kg buggie and bag?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by connico
    No, pros get nabbed for it. A couple of ladies got penalised in the Aust Ladies Masters at Palm Meadows recently.

Quote Originally Posted by imoveableobstruction
    Chop , would you want to putt over one of my 110kg footprints or over a track made by my 20kg buggie and bag?
    Yeah, I am not saying I think it should be a rule of golf, I just think it's funny what you remember from when you first started playing when you don't think about it or question it. Especially when I look back at the goat track that I used to play.

Another one is that you have to shout the bar if you wear you hat into the clubhouse. I learnt all the most important rules of golf as a junior.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    No, pros get nabbed for it. A couple of ladies got penalised in the Aust Ladies Masters at Palm Meadows recently.
    don't you mean royal pines?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs
    don't you mean royal pines?
    Sure do. Fortunately it doesn't affect the point of what I was saying.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I played recently at mollymook hills where they had a bundy clock to stamp your card after the game, anyone taking over 4.5 hrs gets moved to the back of the field when they want to play next.

s9-1 Pro 10.5 | 906f2 15* 18.5* | Maxfli a10 Tour 3-p| x-forged 52* 58* | Odyssey Black I9

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan

When we paid up on Saturday they handed out an 'expected time per hole' sheet, with the 18th to be completed in 4 hours. Fall 1 hole behind and you will be penalised a stroke, 2 strokes for a second warning, and DQ for any subsequent. They even had an old bloke marshalling.

Every time they announced the next group over the PA, they advised to keep up with the group in front or be penalised.

Just curious Dan. How long is your course? At my course, under 4 hours for a 4-ball is near impossible. Even on a quiet day the best we could do is probably 4 1/2.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Anyone elses club gone to these lengths? Seemed to work for us, although it was just a stableford round. I can see problems though:

- we didn't get a single call up on a Par 3 (board members in the group in front too!)
    - all it takes is one ball lost under leaves and a 5 minute search (allowable in the rules!)
    - Playing partners will become reluctant to help you find your ball in case you fall behind.

Fishy can you get your club mail to mine regrading on what they do? I am sick of those 5-6 hrs comp round!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

played in the midweek on Tuesday, the group infront of us were just over two holes behind by rounds end. never even considered calling us thru. Not a posh club so no marshall, woulda been nice to have some way to penalise the slow ****

Sory to go off on a tangent here, but if a penalty is assessed for slow play or some such thing, how is it recorded on the card? Do you just add it to the score for the current hole? Maybe they should follow the cricket and add a 'sundries' box.

Who gets penalised? The whole group? I'm interested in the Newcastle thing. If the guy looking for his ball gets abandoned by his playing partners he is likely to be slower to find it as he only has 1 set of eyes searching and his mates can't move on till he is finished. How does that speed things up? It actually increases the likelihood that he is gunna have to walk back and reload wasting more time. Or is that not how it ends up? Does Newcastle not have very penal rough?

How unpopular would you be if it was your lost ball that cost the whole group a shot each. And then what if you had 3 separate lost ball incidents in a group to different players. Player 1 generates the 1st penalty, player 2 the second and then player 3 ends up getting the group a DQ. That doesn't seem right to me.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Who gets penalised? The whole group?
    I'm not 100% on this, but I understand it's the lowest marker in the group who cops the penalty. He (or she) is the one responsible for keeping the group moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    How unpopular would you be if it was your lost ball that cost the whole group a shot each. And then what if you had 3 separate lost ball incidents in a group to different players. Player 1 generates the 1st penalty, player 2 the second and then player 3 ends up getting the group a DQ. That doesn't seem right to me.
    Precisely the point Bruce. My take is that while on the course, you assist your playing partners find their ball, giving them every chance to score the best they can on the day - and enjoy their time on the course.

From my understanding, a penalty incurred would be for the entire group, so therefore if a ball cannot be found, it is in the entire groups interest to find it!

Perhaps scare tactics and may have worked last weekend, but if they keep up the threats someone is going to get ping'd soon and it's not going to be pretty. There are enough young turds at my course who never assist their partners already.

Courty - I guess 4 hours works on my course because we are a Par 65, but i think the concept is the same anywhere - it shouldn't take 5 hours for a round of golf.

Courty - I guess 4 hours works on my course because we are a Par 65, but i think the concept is the same anywhere - it shouldn't take 5 hours for a round of golf.
    I agree. 5 hours is too much on any course, although it's far too common. On a par 65 it might be realistic, but on a par 72 course, I think 4 hours is unreasonable.

Hang on a minute. I thought this was a cardinal sin?
    Choppa,

Most of the Sandbelt courses in Melbourne insist on players walking their buggies across greens. I’ve even heard of a young golfer (at Metro, I believe) getting in trouble from an older member for walking around, instead of across a green. New South Wales GC allow this as well.

It actually makes sense, as long as the course is set up correctly. If the course is maintained ‘firm & fast’, then it is the best thing to do. Think about how many courses you play that have ‘patchy’ areas around the greens where players walk. Walking across the green spreads out some of that wear & normal wide wheel buggies aren’t heavy enough to damage a firm green.

I weigh almost 120kg, so my feet do more damage than a buggy would. I actually carry & my bag weighs about 15kg. When I walk across a green with my bag on my back there is 135kg of weight being transferred through my feet, yet many courses that are poorly set up don’t want buggies wheeled across the green. Quite silly, really.

It is rarely done on clay courses, because generally the greens are maintained much too soft. Hence, most clay courses suffer from too much wear immediately around the greens. Castle Hill is the only clay based course that allows people to walk across the greens with their buggies that I’m aware of. I’m sure there are more.

So what's the rule then. Do you walk across the green unless told otherwise, or do you walk around it unless told otherwise?

So what's the rule then. Do you walk across the green unless told otherwise, or do you walk around it unless told otherwise?
    Check the local rules (or ask at the pro shop) if you're unsure.

I don't walk across the middle of a green with my buggy, but I'll walk across either side. Most buggy's that people use, have the wide wheel's, so I can't imagine them leaving track marks across any greens.....

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Thread Information