Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default July 2016 Winners G.K & Deester

Congratulations to G.K on winning July's Monthly Mug with 41pts

G.K your PM box is full so I can't send you the questionaire. If anyone that knows G.K can you let him know to clear some room so I can send it.

Congratulations or commiserations to Deester for convincingly winning the NAGA with a hard fought for 12pts.
    Big hat off for sharing the score too.
    Questionnaire on the way via PM.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 7th August 2016 at 04:46 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Sorry Hatchy. I just deleted a few messages. Should be OK now.

I haven't even picked up a club since my 41 points. Quite sad really.

Username: G.K

Home club: Melville Glades (aka Melvilleasy)

How often do you play? Usually 1-2 times a week. But then sometimes I won't pick up a club for a month.

Current handicap: 10.2

Lowest ever handicap: 9.3

Dream handicap: Would be nice to get to 8. And even better to be able to consistently play to it!

How long have you played golf? "Seriously" for about 5-6 years.

How did you catch the golfing bug? Not really sure about this one. None of my parents or grand parents played golf so no influence there. Probably first took an interest when I was still in primary school. Used to have a regular school holiday 9 holes at Castle Cove GC. Just using hire clubs. Then didn't play again until my mid 20's, the occasional 9 holes on a Sunday arvo with a few mates and a six pack. Usually at a quality venue such as Warringah Golf Club. Started playing regularly since moving to Perth.

Favourite golf course played? At the moment, I'll say St Andrews Beach. I've only played it once and I may have a rose coloured view of the place based on the fact it was the first time I shot sub 80 with a 76(off a cap of 15 or 16 ). Was a good way to start my 2015 VIC champs effort. Been lucky enough to play many other great courses thanks to the numerous champs events I've been to both in WA and VIC.

If you could pick three others, dead or alive, to play a round with, who would they be? Henrik Stenson, just cause he's the flavour of the month, Peter Uihlein so I can watch how he rips his 2 iron. And perhaps Jason Day so there's an Aussie in the mix.

If you could pick three OZgolfers to play a round with, who would they be? Hmmmm.....tough one. I'd happily play with any OZGolfer, at least once anyway If I was needing to shoot a score like my life depended on it I'd say Courty, based on the fact he was my cart partner at StAB when I shot my best ever score of 76, so was obviously a good influence on me. He's not a bad guy either despite what people say. Maybe surprisingly, JC. There has been several times I've shot a good score while playing with him, including the 41 points that got me this monthly mug. And for a third I'll say Ashes so he attracts JC's attention, and more importantly his camera focus, so it's not aimed at me when I'm inevitably taking a third, fourth, ninth attempt at getting out of a bunker.

Favourite golf moment/memory? 2015 VIC champs. Spending 4 days at Barnbougle earlier this year wasn't too shabby either.

Worst/least favourite golf moment/memory? I try not to take my golf too seriously so I'm generally happy to be out playing no matter how bad it is. Although there has been a few memorable moments, usually involving a bunker. For example, club champs this year. First round of 4 rounds of stroke. My 5th hole. 120m par 3. Found a bunker from the tee. Walked off with an 8 after taking 5 shots to get out of the bunker, which included a double hit

Favourite current Tour player: Don't really have a favourite. Don't actually get to watch much golf due to no Foxtel.

Favourite golfer past or present? As above.

Lastly, talk us through your Monthly Mug winning round? The weather forecast wasn't great (i.e possible hail) so probably shouldn't have been out there playing. Was a course I hadn't played before being Rockingham GC. But I had a guide in JC as my partner in a 2 ball. Started off in quite benign conditions. Managed to find the fairway on 1, thinned a 7 iron which managed to hold the green, 2 putts, par. Not a bad way to start. We could see some dark clouds coming our way but were trying to convince ourselves that they were going to miss us. They did for a couple of holes. Can't remember if it was on 2 or 3, JC about to putt and down comes the hail. Only lasted for a short while and then it was back to normal. Same thing happened again a couple of holes later so we just waited it out and then pressed on once again.

For some strange reason, my tee game was really good. It was usually a case of JC just telling me where was the best place to hit and I would put it there. Finished off the front with another fairway finder on 9 which resulted in a par and 21 points at the turn.

The weather took a turn for the worse on 10. The temp dropped about 10 degrees and the wind started gusting at some ridiculous rate with rain coming in sideways. We took cover under some trees for about 10 mins and kitted up in some wet weather gear. When I got back to the fairway to play my approach, the wind was howling sideways. Hit 7 iron, aiming a good 25 metres right and I ended up 25-30 metres left of the green. Salvaged a bogey from here. The weather then eased off slightly for a few holes but it was now very wet under foot with standing water on a few greens.

Tee shot on 14 was one to remember. Mishit it short, low, left but it came back out into the open about 50m from the tee. Fatted an iron but was still in the middle. Then wedge to pin high but roughly 20ft right, on the green. This green had heaps of standing water between my ball and the hole. Discussed the options of taking relief. Then said **** it and had a putt from where I was. Belted it to get through the massive puddle, which slowed it to perfect holing speed about 2 feet from the hole. Drained it! How the **** did I save par there?

17, longish par 3, missed green left. Chipped on to about 10ft. As I got to my ball the heavens opened again, howling wind, sideways rain and hail again, causing my bag and buggy, now a good 30-40 metres away, to blow over, spilling my crap everywhere and totally rooting my umbrella in the process. Somehow managed to sink the putt through the water and hail on the green to save par which was promptly followed by a big fist pump. JC commenting it was like watching the priest on Caddyshack playing his round during the storm.

Piped my drive on 18, just missed the green about 6ft right on approach. Cracked under pressure and flubbed my chip badly, still not on the green. On the green for 4 but still 6-7ft short. Clutch putting saw me hole it for 5/2 to give me 20 points on the back for a total of 41 points.
    Unfortunately my efforts weren't enough to secure the comp win. As mentioned previously, I was pipped at the post by none other than Reginald "Colonel" Mustard who had 42 points playing off 25.

Don't know if this round scarred me or what but I haven't been on a golf course since......
    Last edited by Hatchman; 7th August 2016 at 05:01 PM.

W.I.T.B

G.K's questionnaire is now up for all to read.

Thank G.K.
    I had visions of the Caddy Shack Priest round than laughed when you mentioned it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pmm-ZGNCv-8
    Last edited by Hatchman; 7th August 2016 at 08:43 PM.

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Username: G.K

Home club: Melville Glades (aka Melvilleasy)

How often do you play? Usually 1-2 times a week. But then sometimes I won't pick up a club for a month.

Current handicap: 10.2

Lowest ever handicap: 9.3

Dream handicap: Would be nice to get to 8. And even better to be able to consistently play to it!

How long have you played golf? "Seriously" for about 5-6 years.

How did you catch the golfing bug? Not really sure about this one. None of my parents or grand parents played golf so no influence there. Probably first took an interest when I was still in primary school. Used to have a regular school holiday 9 holes at Castle Cove GC. Just using hire clubs. Then didn't play again until my mid 20's, the occasional 9 holes on a Sunday arvo with a few mates and a six pack. Usually at a quality venue such as Warringah Golf Club. Started playing regularly since moving to Perth.

Favourite golf course played? At the moment, I'll say St Andrews Beach. I've only played it once and I may have a rose coloured view of the place based on the fact it was the first time I shot sub 80 with a 76(off a cap of 15 or 16 ). Was a good way to start my 2015 VIC champs effort. Been lucky enough to play many other great courses thanks to the numerous champs events I've been to both in WA and VIC.

If you could pick three others, dead or alive, to play a round with, who would they be? Henrik Stenson, just cause he's the flavour of the month, Peter Uihlein so I can watch how he rips his 2 iron. And perhaps Jason Day so there's an Aussie in the mix.

If you could pick three OZgolfers to play a round with, who would they be? Hmmmm.....tough one. I'd happily play with any OZGolfer, at least once anyway If I was needing to shoot a score like my life depended on it I'd say Courty, based on the fact he was my cart partner at StAB when I shot my best ever score of 76, so was obviously a good influence on me. He's not a bad guy either despite what people say. Maybe surprisingly, JC. There has been several times I've shot a good score while playing with him, including the 41 points that got me this monthly mug. And for a third I'll say Ashes so he attracts JC's attention, and more importantly his camera focus, so it's not aimed at me when I'm inevitably taking a third, fourth, ninth attempt at getting out of a bunker.

Favourite golf moment/memory? 2015 VIC champs. Spending 4 days at Barnbougle earlier this year wasn't too shabby either.

Worst/least favourite golf moment/memory? I try not to take my golf too seriously so I'm generally happy to be out playing no matter how bad it is. Although there has been a few memorable moments, usually involving a bunker. For example, club champs this year. First round of 4 rounds of stroke. My 5th hole. 120m par 3. Found a bunker from the tee. Walked off with an 8 after taking 5 shots to get out of the bunker, which included a double hit

Favourite current Tour player: Don't really have a favourite. Don't actually get to watch much golf due to no Foxtel.

Favourite golfer past or present? As above.

Lastly, talk us through your Monthly Mug winning round? The weather forecast wasn't great (i.e possible hail) so probably shouldn't have been out there playing. Was a course I hadn't played before being Rockingham GC. But I had a guide in JC as my partner in a 2 ball. Started off in quite benign conditions. Managed to find the fairway on 1, thinned a 7 iron which managed to hold the green, 2 putts, par. Not a bad way to start. We could see some dark clouds coming our way but were trying to convince ourselves that they were going to miss us. They did for a couple of holes. Can't remember if it was on 2 or 3, JC about to putt and down comes the hail. Only lasted for a short while and then it was back to normal. Same thing happened again a couple of holes later so we just waited it out and then pressed on once again.

For some strange reason, my tee game was really good. It was usually a case of JC just telling me where was the best place to hit and I would put it there. Finished off the front with another fairway finder on 9 which resulted in a par and 21 points at the turn.

The weather took a turn for the worse on 10. The temp dropped about 10 degrees and the wind started gusting at some ridiculous rate with rain coming in sideways. We took cover under some trees for about 10 mins and kitted up in some wet weather gear. When I got back to the fairway to play my approach, the wind was howling sideways. Hit 7 iron, aiming a good 25 metres right and I ended up 25-30 metres left of the green. Salvaged a bogey from here. The weather then eased off slightly for a few holes but it was now very wet under foot with standing water on a few greens.

Tee shot on 14 was one to remember. Mishit it short, low, left but it came back out into the open about 50m from the tee. Fatted an iron but was still in the middle. Then wedge to pin high but roughly 20ft right, on the green. This green had heaps of standing water between my ball and the hole. Discussed the options of taking relief. Then said **** it and had a putt from where I was. Belted it to get through the massive puddle, which slowed it to perfect holing speed about 2 feet from the hole. Drained it! How the **** did I save par there?

17, longish par 3, missed green left. Chipped on to about 10ft. As I got to my ball the heavens opened again, howling wind, sideways rain and hail again, causing my bag and buggy, now a good 30-40 metres away, to blow over, spilling my crap everywhere and totally rooting my umbrella in the process. Somehow managed to sink the putt through the water and hail on the green to save par which was promptly followed by a big fist pump. JC commenting it was like watching the priest on Caddyshack playing his round during the storm.

Piped my drive on 18, just missed the green about 6ft right on approach. Cracked under pressure and flubbed my chip badly, still not on the green. On the green for 4 but still 6-7ft short. Clutch putting saw me hole it for 5/2 to give me 20 points on the back for a total of 41 points.
    Unfortunately my efforts weren't enough to secure the comp win. As mentioned previously, I was pipped at the post by none other than Reginald "Colonel" Mustard who had 42 points playing off 25.

Don't know if this round scarred me or what but I haven't been on a golf course since......
    It was an amazing round to watch. GK played so solid all day.

I need to correct one thing, the putt on 14 through the puddles was closer to 35 feet than it was 20.

The putt in the massive storm on 17 was awesome too. Rain out of nowhere, I had just texted a mate back saying the weather wasn't that bad after he had messaged to say we were nuts playing, so I cursed us right there.

One minute later, no warning, the heavens opened. I looked at GK's buggy and before I could even step towards it to cover up his clubs, the wind blew it over. Didn't stop GK from nailing the par putt in short sleeves, no raingear, 30-40km winds and in 10° temps. He even gave a big fist pump after that one.

Couldn't believe that he got done in the comp by a 25 capper. At least he walked away with best gross as well.

Username: Deester

Home club: St Andrews Beach/Centenary Park

How often do you play: Once weekly ... Mainly Saturday's

Current handicap: 13.1

As much as you'd like to erase it from the memory banks, talk us through your NAGA round. Where did it go wrong/what happened?

Pretty much one of those days really ... Hit a couple of decent shots and a whole lot of poor shots, that just somehow snow balled into pretty much giving up in the end.

The round was off the back tees at St Andrews and ended up spraying a lot of approaches in to vortex of rough resulting in wipe after wipe. The back 9 was especially brutal, St Andrews can be a tough course on such days.

All the best,

Dee.

W.I.T.B

Deester has kindly added his questionnaire to the monthly winners.

We've all had those days.

My last real bad shocker got a mention on S.A's MMM radio drive time spots show as a nomination for Spud of the Week. Thanks for that Pegs.

W.I.T.B

Thread Information