Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    Member Club Champion

I do think they will be listening, yes, and their Facebook page and Twitter feed are legitimate places to make your feelings known. I'm simply pointing out that Jed Morgan and Charlotte Heath are celebrating the best day of their golf lives and it would be a shame for them to be caught in the crossfire of an issue that has nothing to do with them.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Do you really think they spent millions on golf link mates? Thatd be malpractice considering how shit it was.
    No i never said they spent millions on golf link mates.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Defending the indefensible.The Golf Australia handicap tool and website could not be shitter if they tried
    what did i defend? Yes GA website is terrible, i made no comment about that. I dont know what that has to do with my suggestion to ask Barry before making a lot of noise about his app. He may really not want anyone to do that.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I dont know why its so difficult for GA to create something similar to Handycap? Being able to keep a list of your regular golf buddies is so much easier.

Yeah they need/want to sell advertising space but geez their new webpage for caps is an abomination. I went to it last night again and the 2 rounds from the weekend weren’t showing even though the HC adjustment had been made.

Of course I had to scroll through the offensive Orange Mavrik ads just to get there.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I dont know what that has to do with my suggestion to ask Barry before making a lot of noise about his app. He may really not want anyone to do that.
    Perhaps, but if this thread has shown anything, there is a market for this product.

Why does the product succeed? Its almost perfect - its simple, it loads quickly, it doesn't drain your data, it isn't full of superfluous crap, its tailorable to user requirements.

Everything the awful GA page isn't.

No wonder they wanted it to go away.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The app is/was excellent and used by many members of my Club. Its a shame it has come to this, but perhaps if the app owner had sought permission from the data owners (GA) early on this may not have happened.

The GA handicap page is terrible, not just the ads either. Really poorly built and displayed. Is golflink mates still a thing?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I dont know why its so difficult for GA to create something similar to Handycap? Being able to keep a list of your regular golf buddies is so much easier.

Yeah they need/want to sell advertising space but geez their new webpage for caps is an abomination. I went to it last night again and the 2 rounds from the weekend weren’t showing even though the HC adjustment had been made.

Of course I had to scroll through the offensive Orange Mavrik ads just to get there.
    A complete waste of money for GA to build an app. from scratch. Im sure Bradley would charge a reasonable fee and then everyone would be happy and GA would save serious $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The app is/was excellent and used by many members of my Club. It’s a shame it has come to this, but perhaps if the app owner had sought permission from the data owners (GA) early on this may not have happened.

The GA handicap page is terrible, not just the ads either. Really poorly built and displayed. Is golflink mates still a thing?
    The GA Handicap webpage on mobile looks like an 80-year-old's iPhone screen -- gigantic font that creates tons of pointless white space and you need to scroll five times to read a sentence.

My instinct is that they built the desktop page and then just let the mobile site be as it may off the back of that. Building for desktop basically sums up GA's grasp and management of anything digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Is golflink mates still a thing?
    Yes mate, the legacy app. still works

I only use it as it was left over from 2014 when I signed up to get cheaper green fees for the 'Race to Bonville' comps. (no longer an event)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Perhaps, but if this thread has shown anything, there is a market for this product.
    Of course there is, i use it too and I like it.
    No wonder they wanted it to go away.
    Maybe you know for sure that he got the data direct from GA, i dont know that. Considering that GA sells access to the data on commercial terms and doesnt permit unuathorised access or sharing, its very unlikely they did, because then everyone would want ot for free. This public campaign could land the author in hot water legally, and destroy any chance of future success with it.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I think one of the issues that is at stake here is: Who owns that data?

I didn't give it to them. I paid for them to manage it for me via my affiliation fee. I can't find any T&Cs associated with my affiliation fee that relate to them owning the data, therefore I think it remains owned by me, the golfer.
    As such, monetising my access to *my* data is really poor form.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

The first use of your GOLF Link Card in conjunction with the GOLF Link System will be taken as your agreement to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
    2.2 Cardholders cannot assign any rights under these Terms and Conditions.
    A few years back GA sold the rights to the GL page to Micropower (ISG among other things) and of course they introduced the garish ads to make it viable. GA since reacquired the rights to the page and of course they arent letting that go.

This doesnt take anything away from the fact that the page is woeful on several levels. I dont know of anyone who wouldnt prefer to pay an extra few dollars in their subs to get the page wiped clean.

Id also pay extra to do whatever it takes to get Andy Maher off their podcast, but thats a different matter.
    Forum needs more banter.

Member Trainee Pro

Seems to be working again

Member Club Champion

Golf Australia has been made aware of problems for many golfers who have been using the Handy Cap app.
    The problems stem from an upgrade to the app that was released last week.
    We are currently working with Handy Cap on finding a technical resolution for users.
    A timeline for this solution has been made more challenging by the impending release next week of the World Handicap System.

https://twitter.com/GolfAust

Member Trainee Pro

Interesting, it updated once automatically and refreshed handicaps, and now has the data error again. Pleased to hear that GA are working to fix it.

The people, united etc.

Senior Member Major Winner

It seems too quick to be people power. I suspect GA were already aware of the app and have no problems with it.

Blog Entries

Yep working for me, just not getting comp results..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It seems too quick to be people power. I suspect GA were already aware of the app and have no problems with it.
    Maybe but with the interweb and twitter you are gawn if you don't control the narrative in the first 24 hours. Not saying there was a "pile in" on GA but they have effectively shut down any increase in whinging pretty quickly.

I will give Scottt et al some kudos in this case.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I tweeted Mark Hayes from GA direct and he said hed look into it. Announcement today saying they would work with Handy Cap rather than against them.

Ill give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment...
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMc View Post
    I tweeted Mark Hayes from GA direct and he said hed look into it. Announcement today saying they would work with Handy Cap rather than against them.Ill give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment...
    Well done Alex!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

What a great result.

Well done to Scotty, Chris Kane and various others who lead the social media charge.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Cheers Perry & WB.

Really happy that I keep getting to use the app & pleased for Brad that it lives. He has done such a great service to golfers by building and sustaining it, he didnt deserve to go down like that.

Thanks to everyone who got behind the initial tweet and also chimed in with their own. Social media can be pretty good sometimes.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Hey guys, just a bit of an update. Still working through the technical/other complications of getting access to the handicap data again. If everything goes according to plan I hope to get a fixed version of the app out this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I think one of the issues that is at stake here is: Who owns that data?

I didn't give it to them. I paid for them to manage it for me via my affiliation fee.
    Does anyone know how affiliation fees work? It looks like I pay it to my state body. Do they then feed it to GA? Does anyone know if there is a break down of how much of that affiliation fee is actually attributed to maintaining your handicap?

Your club collects the affiliation fee by including it in yoir membership. As of 31/12 the clubs then do a tally of financial members and remit the fees to the State, who then pass on GA's cut. District fees may be paid direct or via the state. Seems a strange question to be asking, because nobody pays their fees directly ? The exact amount for the handicap is less than $10

Thread Information