Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Kangaroo Island Golf Course Resort - Approved

Authority for new golf course resort on Kangaroo Island now granted. I could see this working well, and I'd be keen to visit.

Proposal:

The proposal is for the development of an international standard, links-style golf course resort on Kangaroo Island, by Programmed Turnpoint Pty Ltd.

The proposal comprises
    •An 18-hole, championship-length golf course and associated international standard practice facilities.
    •Clubhouse and dining/functions facilities, with associated parking. The clubhouse facility also includes 20 accommodation suites (tourist accommodation).
    •Accommodation lodges, comprising 20 twin-bedroom suites with self-contained facilities.
    •Staff accommodation ( for up to 10 staff), including a separate dwelling for the golf superintendent.
    •Discreetly located maintenance compound (including a 1200 square metres maintenance shed) to accommodate golfing equipment, wash-down bays, green-keeping machinery and general back-of-house storage requirements.
    •Five freehold, residential allotments, which could be used for limited unit/villa development and leased back to the golf course when not in use by the private owners. The residential component would be developed during stage 1, to be sold to assist the financing of later stages of the development.
    •New entry road from Hog Bay Road, incorporating road-widening/slip lanes (as required) to provide access to all elements of the proposal.
    •Power and water supply to the site, including a water storage dam (and potentially including wind and solar technology to augment existing power supplies).
    •Storm water and sewage infrastructure for the capture, treatment, storage and reuse of recycled water throughout the development (where possible).
    •A costal walking trail.
    https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/propert...-course-resort

Master plan map of course layout: https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...aster_Plan.pdf

Approval: https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...tte-Notice.pdf

I have decided to grant a development authorisation to the proposed major development.
    Project documentation: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/propert...-course-resort
    Last edited by Chilled; 2nd August 2016 at 07:42 AM.

So do you know if this will be a Norman designed course as previously reported?

Senior Member Major Winner

Default Kangaroo Island Golf Course Resort - Approved

Here's some info on what courses Turnpoint has been involved in.

Seeing the Cooperclub at the one at the top of the list and a mention that the sale of stage one will be used to fund further works makes me wonder if this will be another unfinished flop.

http://www.programmed.com.au/index.php/services/property-services/turnpoint/golf

A
    nyone else know of any other struggling, incomplete or failed courses in that list?
    Last edited by Hatchman; 3rd August 2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

If programmed has anything to do with it, it's bound to fail. After all of the dealings with them through various work sites.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Green Light.

I reckon it will still be cheaper to go to Phuket for 7 nights.

http://www.golf.org.au/newsdisplay/kangaroo-island-project-approved/97388
    Last edited by wazamac; 6th July 2017 at 06:23 PM.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Member Club Champion

Having previously been involved in trying to run a business on KI, I would love this development to work but in reality there would be limited interest from locals, its not seen as a top of list tourist destination, there is limited accommodation and there is insufficient water supply or rainfall on the island to adequately provide irrigation for a golf course. It looks good but I'm not going to hold my breath

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/g...isposal-on-ki/

A PRIME stretch of coastal land on the southeast coast of Kangaroo Island is likely to be incorporated into a planned international-standard golf course development.

The 1km site south of Salt Lagoon is owned by the State Government and has an approximate value of $800,000.

But the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources last month advertised a notice of intention to dispose of the site in The Advertiser.

A Department spokesman said selling the site would have little impact on the public.

“This section of crown land has limited practical public access points and it is difficult to access the coast from the clifftops,” the spokesman said.

The golf course development received major development approval in 2016 but the spokesman said it had subsequently changed ownership and the new owner wanted to redesign part of the course.

Having the additional land would “enable players to take advantage of the coastal scenery,” they said.

Real Estate Institute of South Australia (REISA) president Alex Ouwens said the land was prime real estate but supported the disposal in favour of economic growth.

KANGAROO ISLAND TIPPED TO BECOME PROPERTY HOTSPOT

Based on similar land sales in the past, Mr Ouwens said he valued the block of land to be around $800,000.

“People that hold beach front properties aren’t selling at the moment as they know a market upswing is coming and that these types of properties will be highly sought after,” he said.

Mr Owens said the site was less valuable than other beachfront land on the island as it did not have beach access, amenities or water supply.

“Because of that, the actual market value of the property isn’t that high but from a State Government prospective, the release of the land will help drive tourism as premier golf courses are increasingly becoming holiday destinations.

“Considering that in the past access (lack of) attractions have hindered the market, I think the golf course will greatly benefit KI.”

The golf resort development at Pennington Bay will span across 242.6ha of oceanfront land and expected to generate up to 60 temporary during construction as well as long-term jobs in hospitality, course maintenance and environmental restoration.

Public comment is invited concerning the proposal and must be submitted in writing and received before the close of business on December 22.

For more information visit the YourSAy website

The bit that sticks out and sends alarm bells of being another predicted failure is "has changed ownership".

W.I.T.B

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

After what happened at The Dunes, Port Hughes there needs to be a requirement to finish the golf course before land sales can proceed. That said, they probably would not go ahead.

It was never the intention of the original owner to actually see it to the end, they got the land pretty damn cheap, got the permits and did the preliminary design, a lot of work.

The original owner reminds me of Richard Sattler right place right time on every project

All this just makes it so much easier for the new owner to actually go ahead with this
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Well we know now it's not going to be a waterfront resort, Govt knocks back sale of land.

http://online.isentialink.com/adelai...00a283eae.html

Probably not going to happen now.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Thought you could eat sea eagles in Tassie or is that only swans.

Update.

Mayor’s take on KI Links proposal

MAYOR Peter Clements said it had been a delicate and sometimes frustrating process. And it was not surprising that the minister had agreed on a lease arrangement. “It was obvious that people on KI were not interested in selling off Crown land but now we ne nd to let the owners get on with the job while ensuring the very special conditions surrounding the development of the links course are fully complied with,” he said. “Kangaroo Island Council’s support and advocacy for sustainable projects is a key plank in the overall vision for our island which will allow us to maintain the environmental, social and economic balance. Our community will continue to maintain a very strong voice when it comes to future development and this is vital to ensuring the Island remains in the hands of, and for the overall benefit of Islanders. “ Page 1 of 1 21 Jun 2018
    Islander, Kingscote SA

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I think this project has gone into hibernation or is dead.

Visited there a couple of weeks ago for work and tried to get an update from the council but no one knew anything.

Tried to visit the proposed location but could only get within a kilometre due to the state of the track leading to it.

This is the vista that greeted me.

Not much soil to be had and where there was some top soil, the limestone was not that far from the surface.

They would be better off putting the money elsewhere IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told today that work commences next week
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    I was told today that work commences next week
    So, how much dirt needs to be trucked in to build a course on top of limestone rock?

W.I.T.B

No idea. They'll certainly be able to build some bitchin walls with all the rock they'll move
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Cool place but poor looking soil and so dry.

personally im more interested in the Nora Creina development for SA. This will probably turn into another Copper Club project, although will start out as 18 holes.

Just near Robe, me likey Robe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Just near Robe, me likey Robe.
    Im hoping Robe GC can sell the land off quickly on the last 6 holes and replace them with another set in the dunes.

Some of the house prices there have been jacked up a fair bit, although the non sea view vacant land blocks seem to be still ok for price

Everyone in Australia thinks their house is worth a million plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Everyone in Australia thinks their house is worth a million plus.
    I can't understand it personally, and why punters keep taking out substantial loans over 30 years with the only reason (the banks granting them) being the super low interest rate. Something has gotta give eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    I can't understand it personally, and why punters keep taking out substantial loans over 30 years with the only reason (the banks granting them) being the super low interest rate. Something has gotta give eventually.
    https://www.theshovel.com.au/2021/03...for-3-million/

Considering the positive reaction from the new owners one would assume there was a kind of insurance in play that lands them a new house

Thread Information