Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 LPGA Tour

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2016 LPGA Tour

Couldn't find a thread.

Minjee Lee closes with a 64 to win the Lotte Championship in Hawaii!

-6 on the back nine. Her putting was on fire.

Senior Member Major Winner

She's a baby too. This is getting like swimming. 25 and washed up

We didn't have a dedicated thread. We tend to use the Lydia Ko thread when the LPGA makes news (usually because it is Lydia making the news).

Nevertheless, I like the LPGA and usually watch it, so I'll participate.

Good win by Minjee Lee. I suspect she'll always be one of those players on the fringe of the top 10 who wins once a year or two, but I'd like her to take the next step.

Having said in another thread that players ranked around 200 never win on the LPGA, it looked like I was eating those words when Katie Burnett looked like winning. But in the end it was Minjee's good play that won it, Burnett didn't throw it away, which is good for her.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Yeah all the leaders were under par but Minjee's -8 was just too good.

Senior Member Major Winner

That's a bit rough Jim. She's been a pro for an hour and a half and has 2 wins now. If she keeps this up she's a bit better than fringe of the top 10

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    That's a bit rough Jim. She's been a pro for an hour and a half and has 2 wins now. If she keeps this up she's a bit better than fringe of the top 10
    I'll bump this, partly to give 3putt the courtesy of a polite answer (something Lager never provides), and partly to note something from todays play that fits the discussion.

You raise a fair point, but the reality of the LPGA is that lady golfers are at their peak between hours one and four in their careers, and everything is downhill after about 7 hours. It is a bit like women's tennis was for a while, where as soon as they reached physical maturity at 16 or so, they were good enough to win. Then by 24 they were finished, either physically due to injuries or mentally because they were burned out. LPGA golf is very similar, which is why it will be very interesting to see whether Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson and Minjee Lee last for any length of time.

Anyway, related to that, our forgotten Aussie Katherine Kirk got a lot of TV time today. She is an example of a golfer who was better 10 years ago than she is today. But it would be good to see her in contention for the rest of this event.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Those who didn't see the final round of the LPGA major missed a terrific final round. It was easy to miss, as Fox flicked it to 504, when it was supposed to be on 503. The EPG said it was on 503, and I taped it so I could watch it later. I was lucky I turned on the TV when I got up, just to check the score, only to find the Men's event still going.

Anyway, I think the next generational change on the LPGA is now official, with Brooke Henderson winning at 18 over Lydia Ko (19) and Ariya Jutanagarn (20). They are all very good players who should last a while, but the LPGA being what it is, they had best enjoy their time at the top while it lasts. Inbee Park is 27, and might be retiring.

I was actually going to post something in the pisses you off thread, but as Henderson won, I can post it here. She had a hole in one in the first round. She is 18. It is her 4th hole in one!. I've had one, in 45 years of golf, and many have never had one.

Yeah it was great watching. Nice birdie on the playoff hole too.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    Yeah it was great watching. Nice birdie on the playoff hole too.
    Amazing approach.

She dropped a few bombs during the rounds too. Clutch up and down to force the playoff.

First Canadian woman to win a major since 1968!

Banned

Well done to Brittany Lang for her US Women's Open win. Bad luck for Anna Nordqvist with her just barely touching the sand on a shot out of a bunker in the playoff. And good work, NOT, to the USGA for screwing up another rules related issue during one of their championships. What's wrong with holding play until they make their decision? They truely are a bunch of amateurs.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Well done to Brittany Lang for her US Women's Open win. Bad luck for Anna Nordqvist with her just barely touching the sand on a shot out of a bunker in the playoff. And good work, NOT, to the USGA for screwing up another rules related issue during one of their championships. What's wrong with holding play until they make their decision? They truely are a bunch of amateurs.
    No, worse still, they tell the player concerned after she has played her shot to the green and the other player before she plays hers!!
    Talk about a massive advantage.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    No, worse still, they tell the player concerned after she has played her shot to the green and the other player before she plays hers!!
    Talk about a massive advantage.
    Yep, totally agree. It was a farce.

I had stayed out of this thread as I hadn't watched my replay of the final round but now that I have, what an absolute joke!

Congrats to Brittany Lang but what an absolute stuff up from the USGA. I can't believe their incompetence.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Indeed it was a farce.

Nordquist handled it like a true professional though. Her social media post was nice to see.

Maybe its payback for the Solheim Cup

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BayBum View Post
    Indeed it was a farce.

Nordquist handled it like a true professional though. Her social media post was nice to see.
    Yeah I saw that too. She has definitely gained a new fan in me. I would have spat the dummy if that was me in my club champs for example. She took it on the chin and it was the US Women's Open! Very impressive.

So the ladies British Open is on.

First round 62 by Mirim Lee. -6 through the first 9 not a bad way to start. The consecutive birdies from 7-11 was pretty impressive.

Karrie Webb best of the aussies at -3.
    Minjee Lee at -1

Banned

How did Ko, Henderson and Jutanagarn finish up? Jutanagarn was shooting lights out when I was watching a bit of the replay.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Ko made the cut, but still 10 shots back. Karrie with a pair of 69s, to get to T8.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Watching a replay of the Canadian Open final round last night. My god can Ariya Jutanagarn get the ball out there.
    Haven't had fox for awhile so haven't seen much of the latest games.
    515m par 5 and she doesn't carry a driver. Uses a 2 iron off the tee and 5 iron in. They were saying on the Saturday she knocked it 294 yards.
    She was keeping up with her two playing partners in length off the tee and they played driver.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Banned

Yeah she is amazing. She hasn't carried driver for a while. Bet it's been a while since a major was won without driver in the winners bag!

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Is it like most women,s tees Waza 40 feet in the air to get a height advantage ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

From memory that hole was fairly flat with the green very slightly raised. It was also cold and drizzly which makes it even more impressive.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Bahahaha!
    Attached Images

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

The are squeegeeing water off their line for every putt. Its taking the first group over 1 hour to play the first 3 holes.

Thread Information